***The Official Norway vs Scotland Match Thread***

Ryan_1

Next time this national team play, the team should be:

Gordon

Hutton Berra Weir Wallace

Mcfadden Thomson Brown Commons

Boyd Miller

Berra, on walkabout for the 2nd goal, missed his tackle at the 3rd, failed in almost every challenge for the ball; should be a cert for the next game.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next Game the team should be

Alexander

Hutton Weir Webster Whittaker

Ferguson McCulloch

Thompson

McCormack Boyd Miller

After much apologising,begging,bowing and scraping and the resignations from the current regime for taking the national team back further than the Berti Vogts era !!

( not that I'm biased or anything)

Alexander

Ferguson McCulloch

Thompson

McCormack Boyd Miller

After much apologising,begging,bowing and scraping and the resignations from the current regime for taking the national team back further than the Berti Vogts era !!

Webster, Whittaker LB <cr>

Alexander

Ferguson McCulloch

Thompson

McCormack Boyd Miller

Webster, Whittaker LB <cr>

Like that'd be any worse than tonights showing ???

What a joke!

Pundits are still saying we are in a good position to get one of the runners up spots!

EH????? How the hell do they work that one out? We have two home games left against Macedonia & Holland. We'll be lucky to beat Macedonia, and even if we do, we'll only have 10 points. Currently, the next worst 2nd place team is Croatia on 11 points. We ARE out of it now.....there's no way we'll beat Holland! Not a hope in hell!

Good God but those 2nd and 3rd goals were ugly. Laughably bad defending.

Laughable positioning from Marshall for the 4th as well. There was no way that Pedersen was going to aim for his left post...being a left footer, he was always going for his right post. Which one did the muppet cover??? doh

Alexander

Ferguson McCulloch

Thompson

McCormack Boyd Miller

may aswell go all out n stick naismith on instead of mcCormack, or we could even get novo 2 play 4 us aswell :gerbad:

Can anyone tell me if Berra has been replaced by Whittaker? I`m currently writing about the game, but look what i found in bbc site:

Scotland: Marshall, Hutton, Davidson, Steven Caldwell (McFadden 48), Gary Caldwell, Graham Alexander, Darren Fletcher, Commons, Brown, Miller, McCormack (Berra 37), Berra (Whittaker 78).

<cr>

Can anyone tell me if Berra has been replaced by Whittaker? I`m currently writing about the game, but look what i found in bbc site:

Scotland: Marshall, Hutton, Davidson, Steven Caldwell (McFadden 48), Gary Caldwell, Graham Alexander, Darren Fletcher, Commons, Brown, Miller, McCormack (Berra 37), Berra (Whittaker 78).

<cr>

They were all Berra's tonight.

Alexander

Ferguson McCulloch

Thompson

McCormack Boyd Miller

may aswell go all out n stick naismith on instead of mcCormack, or we could even get novo 2 play 4 us aswell :gerbad:

Agreed !! Naissy would be a better option.

Lets face it - that team has a champions look about it !! :scot:

Alexander

Ferguson McCulloch

Thompson

McCormack Boyd Miller

Mc Cormack? :rolleyes: Surely you meant Naismith. (tu)

<cr>

Berra came on for mcCormack after caldwell got sent off, then berra himself got subbed off for whittaker near the end (presume berra picked up an injury)

team announced

Norway v Scotland:

James McFadden left out as David Marshall lands goalkeeper slot

Aug 12 2009 By Keith Jackson

GEORGE Burley will take some of the biggest gambles of his Scotland career here in Norway tonight - axing talisman James McFadden and handing David Marshall the role of Craig Gordon's replacement in goal.

Record Sport can also reveal the international boss is set to unleash an attacking 4-3-3 formation against Norway as our hopes of qualification to next summer's World Cup finals go down to the wire.

Not only has Cardiff keeper Marshall been recalled almost five years after winning just his second cap but left-back Callum Davidson also looks set for a starting place in a team that will not feature the maverick talent of McFadden.

Burley insisted yesterday he has not yet announced his final starting 11 but the manager looks set to play wide men Kris Commons and Ross McCormack on either flank with Rangers striker Kenny Miller spearheading a three-pronged frontline.

There is also set to be a surprise midfield holding role for Graham Alexander, who is expected to get the nod ahead of Paul Hartley.

Parkhead star Scott Brown will make his first start of the season in a central role alongside Manchester United's Darren Fletcher.

And Marshall will make up the final line of defence behind a back four of Alan Hutton, brothers Gary and Steven Caldwell and Davidson .

It's another bold selection from Burley, who admitted yesterday he has faced some of the toughest decisions of his 18 months in charge as he attempts to put together a side capable of clinching victory .

The manager surprised many by leaving David Weir out of his original 23-man squad - a group that was already minus banned Boozegate duo Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor.

And he is aware of the possible repercussions should his choices backfire tonight.

Burley spoke to glove rivals Marshall and Neil Alexander yesterday at the team hotel to explain why the former Celtic man has won the battle of the back-ups to replace injured Sunderland No. 1 Gordon.

And he later admitted piecing this side together has been one of the biggest tests of his managerial career.

Burley said: "As a manager my job is to make decisions.

"It's difficult and you are not always going to please people when you leave them out but the great thing for a manager is to have options.

"I have spoken to the goalkeepers and have told them my decision but I have not announced the rest of the team.

"All I can do is stick to what I believe in and stick to my own philosophies. We are here to cause Norway problems and to win this match. We are not thinking about anything else."

And he is aware of the possible repercussions should his choices backfire tonight.

:rolleyes: