Do you have any ideas on how to make the site better?

Canadaready

Debate on what gets posted in the Bears Den - I like its current definition but over the summer we had a lost of new threads concerning issues such as marches, Protestant causes etc. that had very little to do with (if anything) Rangers or Football. There seems to be quite active moderation already on the site wrt where things get posted so the debate is: Do these threads improve RM? and; Should these threads be in the Bears Den?

Technically I dont know if this is possible (or I have missed it) but is there any way of just tracking the changes ina few threads or something where it is easier to monitor a thread in 'real' time when an active discussion is going on (I think that a chat room may be good but prevents others seeing an active debate and contributing.

Should each player have a permanant thread to discuss their performance (or lack of) to save multiple threads being opened - Boyd, Weir, McCollough, Broadfoot, David, Mendez, Fleck etc. It may just save time and room!

Contrastingly, by removing these, it alienates a large number of people, and, traditional Rangers fans. The majority of these threads also (unsurprisingly?) create the largest debate. They are intrinsically joined with Rangers for some, and, not for others (probably why the debate happens), and, are a deep part of the history of Rangers, so, of course they should be in the BD

The player performance thing is an interesting idea, however, after a period, no doubt it will cause arguments, as, when someone posts a link to say, a news article, or, a new thread, several people will no doubt chip in with "should be in....." etc. It happened with the tragic "generic Kris Boyd thread". Maybe a team performace section though? Heroes and Villans type thing? I dont know.

I amon a pro audio forum, and, the front page is a shoutbox, however, more like a chatroom, and, it doesnt impact the forum quality or usage, And, I like that a lot. I would imagine it would be the off topic type thing that would happen in there though

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debate on what gets posted in the Bears Den - I like its current definition but over the summer we had a lost of new threads concerning issues such as marches, Protestant causes etc. that had very little to do with (if anything) Rangers or Football. There seems to be quite active moderation already on the site wrt where things get posted so the debate is: Do these threads improve RM? and; Should these threads be in the Bears Den?

Technically I dont know if this is possible (or I have missed it) but is there any way of just tracking the changes ina few threads or something where it is easier to monitor a thread in 'real' time when an active discussion is going on (I think that a chat room may be good but prevents others seeing an active debate and contributing.

Should each player have a permanant thread to discuss their performance (or lack of) to save multiple threads being opened - Boyd, Weir, McCollough, Broadfoot, David, Mendez, Fleck etc. It may just save time and room!

Its only your opinion that Protestant links have nothing to do with Rangers. If you dont like it just stay out the thread and leave others to discuss it.

Thats your idea of debate is it? I at least think there should be a debate - you however just want to dictate. Why would you NOT want your own thread for these subjects? - then I will gladly stay out of it and you can go and discuss your causes to your hearts content without dissent!

Another thought, possibly highlighted from above in this thread.

The museum area should be far more prominent, and, perhaps ADD a history aspect to it, perhaps with scans of news paper articles etc (I have a ton of them I can scan in). There is a huge influx of younger posters, some of whom have no idea about a lot of the past, the great players of days gone by etc. So, have a bit of that included.

Its only your opinion that Protestant links have nothing to do with Rangers. If you dont like it just stay out the thread and leave others to discuss it.

Thats your idea of debate is it? I at least think there should be a debate - you however just want to dictate. Why would you NOT want your own thread for these subjects? - then I will gladly stay out of it and you can go and discuss your causes to your hearts content without dissent!

I debated it :pipe:

We do have a debate as you can see with the amount of posts in the Protestant threads, what you dont like is that we are a Protestant club and thats your problem. As Frankie told you when you wanted to shift it out of the Beard Den, that it is conected with our club and will not be shifted so why not stay out of the thread if you dont like it.

What about a section that is like a Rangers Wiki? Like a massive online encyclopedia containing information on everything about Rangers, with detailed profiles of players past and present, stadium and other stuff as well.

I know you can find lots of info on Wikipedia and throughout the web, but there is gaps in the information they have. Trusted members from the site could all contribute and gradually build it up. What you think?

What about a section that is like a Rangers Wiki? Like a massive online encyclopedia containing information on everything about Rangers, with detailed profiles of players past and present, stadium and other stuff as well.

I know you can find lots of info on Wikipedia and throughout the web, but there is gaps in the information they have. Trusted members from the site could all contribute and gradually build it up. What you think?

Aye, ties in with the history/museum section

The only things you can really change are, content, and, restricted access to certain areas, both of which could be improved a little

(tu)

In all seriousness, the only thing I would change, is the way membership is monitored. Allow me to reminisce ;)

Back in the olden days of RM, we had the bears den, it was password protected, and, only bears allowed in, then, we also had the "Old Firm" area, which, as well as tims, fans from other teams could appear, and, we actually identified as to which team they supported. A move back to something along those lines, would probably cut back on the amount of "in fighting" (hard to call it that when we dont know who is who) and arguments, and, name calling.

They are going to get on, so, might as well identify them up front!

BTW its not just a tim thing, I dont like any non bears in the bears den, it has the name for a reason, or it should do!

This point makes too much good sense to be ignored. You can tell your no a drummer eh ? This would be a good thing to get back to as he says there are lurkers so they may as well come out the closet and be allowed to spout their nonsense.

In all seriousness, the only thing I would change, is the way membership is monitored. Allow me to reminisce ;)

Back in the olden days of RM, we had the bears den, it was password protected, and, only bears allowed in, then, we also had the "Old Firm" area, which, as well as tims, fans from other teams could appear, and, we actually identified as to which team they supported. A move back to something along those lines, would probably cut back on the amount of "in fighting" (hard to call it that when we dont know who is who) and arguments, and, name calling.

They are going to get on, so, might as well identify them up front!

BTW its not just a tim thing, I dont like any non bears in the bears den, it has the name for a reason, or it should do!

This point makes too much good sense to be ignored. You can tell your no a drummer eh ? This would be a good thing to get back to as he says there are lurkers so they may as well come out the closet and be allowed to spout their nonsense.

:lol: :lol:

Aye, ties in with the history/museum section

The only things you can really change are, content, and, restricted access to certain areas, both of which could be improved a little

Aye that's exactly it, but just keep expanding it. You could have articles on everything like managers, players, sections of the stadium or even a big article showing off pics and explanations of some of the banners at Ibrox over the years.

I've got a great book that details players from 45-98, I would happily contribute pictures and profiles from it to help.

A totally seperate section for Loyalist/Unionist/Protestant discussion would be superb CR if possible.

The history and traditions of our club are inextricably linked with the aforementioned views/beliefs and a seperate section where like minded folk could discuss these topics would cut down massively on the in-fighting we have at the moment regarding them.

Cheers (tu)

We do have a debate as you can see with the amount of posts in the Protestant threads, what you dont like is that we are a Protestant club and thats your problem. As Frankie told you when you wanted to shift it out of the Beard Den, that it is conected with our club and will not be shifted so why not stay out of the thread if you dont like it.

For example - There were threads about the Forces march in Glasgow and the numpties that spoilt it - interesting, great debate but why in the Bears Den - definition - Official Rangers FC Discussion Area -- Rangers talk for Rangers fans only! Official Rangers FC Discussion Area -- Rangers talk for Rangers fans only! -

Now I think that topic did not fall into that catagory and definition - It had nothing to do the Rangers FC, never mentioned Rangers FC and was not exclusive to Rangers FC fanes, so (IMHO) belongs elsewhere. I suppose the trouble is when moderators want to use the threads so their own message gets promoted and others get censored for disagreeing it is hard for those not in power to be heard - however that doesn't mean we will stop trying to be heard.

Oh good this debate again.

BP9 does the fact no one ever seems to back you on this arguement not answer your question. a lot of these threads don't interest me so here is what i do, now i know,this may seem a novel idea but stick with me, i don't post on them. Maybe you should try that.

You have been told by the mods they won't be getting moved so why go on and on and on and on about it....... their is a Pretty simple solution if you don't like the moderation on a MB......

Id like to see a section of Bears abroad where we can post pics of us in Rangers tops wherever we are.

For example Im off to Italy in a couple of weeks for the start of the season, I'd love to post pics of all my Italian mates wi their Rangers tops on (not at the game due to safety reasons) You could call it BearsDen Travel (just joking)

A European section, to be Frank.

Oh good this debate again.

BP9 does the fact no one ever seems to back you on this arguement not answer your question. a lot of these threads don't interest me so here is what i do, now i know,this may seem a novel idea but stick with me, i don't post on them. Maybe you should try that.

You have been told by the mods they won't be getting moved so why go on and on and on and on about it....... their is a Pretty simple solution if you don't like the moderation on a MB......

He has been asked not to post in those types of thread before, but he relentlessly pursues his agenda of dissociating Rangers from Protestantism/Unionism/Loyalism.

Even guys who don't agree with the association at least accept that there is one, unfortunately BP9's recalcitrant stance on the subject seems to be at the root of these debates falling into arguments and bitching.

Ok, first Outlaw, your point about the Old Firm section is a fair one but there is no doubting that the last time this was tried it ended in disaster. There was just too much name-calling and some descended into sectarian abuse and the like. It was all a bit pointless in the end.

Their was always tims lurking on the Board pretending to be Rangers fans, even when they were allowed on the forum anyway. Don't ask me why. They would still find a way into the BD if it was password protected. It's how these things work.

As for the museum/Wiki idea, i really like it. I have always believed that the Museum section could be put to better use and if guys like yourself and older bears, who are willing to share older information with the rest of us, the format is there for it to be done. There are plenty of knowledgable guys on here and every facet of our history could be documented so why not? I will bring this up in the staff section and PM all those who express an interest in this thread. (tu)

BP9, the threads on the Orange marches and Protestantism are not directly linked to the club like player articles and threads on formations are. But undoubtedly they create alot of debate and interest which is good for the Board. We are a club steeped in Protestant history and with strong links to the Orange Order and as a collective the staff feel it is better to have them in the section which is used most. It creates good debate if nothing else, i'm sure you agree.

Good suggestions guys. :)

For example - There were threads about the Forces march in Glasgow and the numpties that spoilt it - interesting, great debate but why in the Bears Den - definition - Official Rangers FC Discussion Area -- Rangers talk for Rangers fans only! Official Rangers FC Discussion Area -- Rangers talk for Rangers fans only! -

Now I think that topic did not fall into that catagory and definition - It had nothing to do the Rangers FC, never mentioned Rangers FC and was not exclusive to Rangers FC fanes, so (IMHO) belongs elsewhere. I suppose the trouble is when moderators want to use the threads so their own message gets promoted and others get censored for disagreeing it is hard for those not in power to be heard - however that doesn't mean we will stop trying to be heard.

Except it IS relevant mate

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display...an_soldiers.php

Rangers, possibly due to the Unionist/British links, ALWAYS honour our forces, so do many many of the fans, therfore this is something that should be in the BD.

A totally seperate section for Loyalist/Unionist/Protestant discussion would be superb CR if possible.

The history and traditions of our club are inextricably linked with the aforementioned views/beliefs and a seperate section where like minded folk could discuss these topics would cut down massively on the in-fighting we have at the moment regarding them.

Cheers (tu)

Here here, there are enough threads to make a section dedicated to it.

Ok, first Outlaw, your point about the Old Firm section is a fair one but there is no doubting that the last time this was tried it ended in disaster. There was just too much name-calling and some descended into sectarian abuse and the like. It was all a bit pointless in the end.

Their was always tims lurking on the Board pretending to be Rangers fans, even when they were allowed on the forum anyway. Don't ask me why. They would still find a way into the BD if it was password protected. It's how these things work.

As for the museum/Wiki idea, i really like it. I have always believed that the Museum section could be put to better use and if guys like yourself and older bears, who are willing to share older information with the rest of us, the format is there for it to be done. There are pl;enty of knowledgable guys on here and every facet of our history could be documented so why not? I will bring this up in the staff section and PM all those who express an interest in this thread. (tu)

BP9, the threads on the Orange marches and Protestantism are not directly linked to the club like player articles and threads on formations are. But undoubtedly they create alot of debate and interest which is good for the Board. We are a club steeped in Protestant history and with strong links to the Orange Order and as a collectiver the staff feel it is better to have them in the section which is used most. It creates good debate if nothing else, i'm sure you agree.

I can see the argument, then again, this still happens mate. Its not just about the tims anyway, winds me up a bit when you go to the BD and a new threads first line is "I am an "x" fan". Much as the banter could be good, it should be elsewhere. Even a general football section. Thats the theory anyway

Plus, if some sneaked in to the den, it would be more obvious/easier to identify them and clean the place up :lol:

Sub Forums in the BD then, that just sprung to mind, such as...

Press/News Discussions

Museum Discussions

Loyalist/Protestant Discussions

Players Discussions

Match Discussions

That type of thing, then, it will be clearer, and, those with no interest in certain topics, such as BP9, could avoid those areas. It would also make things clearer in regard to what goes where, and, also it could help the museum area more prominant

As for the museum/Wiki idea, i really like it. I have always believed that the Museum section could be put to better use and if guys like yourself and older bears, who are willing to share older information with the rest of us, the format is there for it to be done. There are plenty of knowledgable guys on here and every facet of our history could be documented so why not? I will bring this up in the staff section and PM all those who express an interest in this thread. (tu)

BP9, the threads on the Orange marches and Protestantism are not directly linked to the club like player articles and threads on formations are. But undoubtedly they create alot of debate and interest which is good for the Board. We are a club steeped in Protestant history and with strong links to the Orange Order and as a collective the staff feel it is better to have them in the section which is used most. It creates good debate if nothing else, i'm sure you agree.

Cheers mate would love to see that take off. Check your inbox. (tu)

Press/News Discussions

Museum Discussions

Players Discussions

Match Discussions

That type of thing, then, it will be clearer, and, those with no interest in certain topics, such as BP9, could avoid those areas. It would also make things clearer in regard to what goes where, and, also it could help the museum area more prominant

Subforums are just an inconvenience for the most part mate. I know that when i come into the BD i want to have all the stories and discussion infront of me without having to search different sections for different material.

Press/News Discussions

Museum Discussions

Players Discussions

Match Discussions

I think to many forums spread the discussion to thinly....i rarely ever check any of the other forums on here bar this and the general sports one ......