Visiting Rosneath: The Moses McNeil Trail

McBoyd

mosestrail-1.jpg

I recently visited the Gareloch, and Rosneath, and thought i'd make a 'how to get there' thread, i guess it could also turn into a 'my visit' thread too if others do visit.

Me and my girlfriend used google maps to get there, but the route it gave us was epically longer than it needed to be, so at the bottom of this thread i've added the much simpler route we took back from Rosneath, along with some map images of where the graveyard is in the village, and generally where the grave is in the cemetery.

Stood, at the resting place of one of our founders all i could hear was the stream running by and the trees blowing in the wind, as peaceful as you could get it, and not further than a 20 second walk away to the right was also a football pitch, rather fitting i thought.

Sadly, Moses McNeil's name is not on the gravestone under which he lays, after he passed away he was buried with his sisters, Isabella, Elizabeth and his brother-in-law Cptn. Duncan Gray, so take that into account when you do look for the stone. We found it with an M of roses on it, someone from RM themself put them there, along with a pile of stones (which i added to), so thankyou to them.

Getting to Rosneath:

Map Directions (from Glasgow)..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Picture1-2.png

Picture2-1.png

Picture3-1.png

Picture4-1.png

Directions in Rosneath:

You'll notice St Modons church on the right about halfway into the village as you come in, you can't miss it...

DSCN0575.jpg

Park in front of the store (i think it's a Co-Op) and walk alongside the church, following this road along to the end of the houses (see below), the view down 'Ferry Road', from the 1800's (image sourced from 'The Gallant Pioneers') to what you'd see in 2009, walk down towards the white house on the left, at the end of the road and you'll see the old cemetery right in front of you.

ROSNEATH.jpg

Heres the view as you walk into the cemetery and finally to his resting place.

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

Rosneath Old Cemetry, behind St Modons Church, here is the website for the grave markers.

http://members.madasafish.com/~fairenough/page613.html

McNeil, Elisabeth - 113

plan-1.jpg

Also in a bit i'll put up the rest of the photos i took whilst there! :) I hope that is of help to some bears who want to pay respects to one of the Gallant Pioneers of our club.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done McBoyd, twas me that started the cairn and the flowers.. I will hopefully be giving details of the final resting place of our first , and finest imo,captain Tom Vallance who is somewhere in Bearsden cemetary, and William mcBeath down in the cemetery in Lincoln will also be located soonish.

Well done McBoyd, twas me that started the cairn and the flowers.. I will hopefully be giving details of the final resting place of our first , and finest imo,captain Tom Vallance who is somewhere in Bearsden cemetary, and William mcBeath down in the cemetery in Lincoln will also be located soonish.

Thanks mate.

I was also looking at locating Tom Vallances resting place when i am next in Glasgow in 2 weeks, as my uncle lives in Bearsden, and doing

photographs of that too, (whilst again visiting Rosneath sometime, as i didn't have my Digital SLR with me :( ) kind of a 'Hunting for the founders' esque thing :lol:

:)

Thanks mate.

I was also looking at locating Tom Vallances resting place when i am next in Glasgow in 2 weeks, as my uncle lives in Bearsden, and doing

photographs of that too, (whilst again visiting Rosneath sometime, as i didn't have my Digital SLR with me :( ) kind of a 'Hunting for the founders' esque thing :lol:

:)

tis a noble thing that you do.

Quality stuff guys, well done! Have been to Moses grave a wee while back. My old man and his pals went up a while back.

Still creepy as fuck though scattering about graveyards!!

Still not enough at the club to highlight people like Moses, Tom Vallance and even Mr Rangers - Mr William Struth (Apart from the main stand). I personally feel we should have a statue of him aswell.

Quality stuff guys, well done! Have been to Moses grave a wee while back. My old man and his pals went up a while back.

Still creepy as fuck though scattering about graveyards!!

Still not enough at the club to highlight people like Moses, Tom Vallance and even Mr Rangers - Mr William Struth (Apart from the main stand). I personally feel we should have a statue of him aswell.

I hve been called morbid, and I understand why some would say that. Because of the lenght of time passed ,it is an historical thing and emotional . I had a right good feeling when i stood at the grave of Moses, as if Moses was glad to have me there.

Meanwhile, lots of historical photos here.

http://imageevent.com/wertp

Thanks Jadams (tu)

I hope bears use this thread to post their pics and stories of any future visits :)

Just a shame that some of our younger fans are not as keen as yourself mate to learn about our clubs history. I was told in my thread that some of our youngers fans cant relate to our history. :)

Thanks Jadams (tu)

I hope bears use this thread to post their pics and stories of any future visits :)

Just a shame that some of our younger fans are not as keen as yourself mate to learn about our clubs history. I was told in my thread that some of our youngers fans cant relate to our history. :)

Really? Thats sad, i don't know why that would be.

Hopefully this book will garner more interest in it! The club should be doing more to make it known, especially on the tour :)

only 20 mins up the road from where i stay...and played for the local team round there....to the right of that church is a football ground so its nice knowing ure playing near the founder of the rangers :P

only 20 mins up the road from where i stay...and played for the local team round there....to the right of that church is a football ground so its nice knowing ure playing near the founder of the rangers :P

I noticed that mate, i thought that was fitting :)