Visiting Rosneath: The Moses McNeil Trail

McBoyd

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested, here's a link to a .kmz file that can be opened in GoogleEarth. It adds overlays and points of interest all Rangers related. Once in GoogleEarth you can click on a location and information and a related picture will open up.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ZAC80WB

therangerstraillrg.jpg

sampledqu.jpg

Thats brilliant , are those roses yours, when I got there they had wilted a bit, so I nipped down to the co op for another bunch and rearranged the 2 bunches into Ms

I was only walking down KelvinGrove the other day without the foggiest idea about the historical importance relating to RFC!

History is a wonderful thing and more Bears or should i say younger ones should take more notice of it.

Without the likes of Moses there would of course be no Rangers Football Club.

And thats why McBoyd the time and effort you have spend in doing this project should be commended.

I salute you and also well done with those Toffs shirts!

For those interested, here's a link to a .kmz file that can be opened in GoogleEarth. It adds overlays and points of interest all Rangers related. Once in GoogleEarth you can click on a location and information and a related picture will open up.

Thats brilliant , are those roses yours, when I got there they had wilted a bit, so I nipped down to the co op for another bunch and rearranged the 2 bunches into Ms

Yes, put them down about three weeks ago.

Here's another wee download that might be of some interest. In the zip file you will find a word doc with maps and paragraphs that will guide you round Glasgow on the Rangers trail.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I8CS8JY

Yes, put them down about three weeks ago.

Here's another wee download that might be of some interest. In the zip file you will find a word doc with maps and paragraphs that will guide you round Glasgow on the Rangers trail.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I8CS8JY

Thanks for that.

Such a fantastic thread. I must say though Rangers should bring back the first ever Rangers badge on a retro top one season! Would look amazing (tu)

There's no actual written evidence that Rangers wore that white strip in any of the 1877 matches v Vale Of Leven.

In fact, Vale wore a change white strip in the first replay.

Rangers of course wore it for our famous 1877 picture.

Let's hope it wasn't some old stock that Harry and Peter had lying about the shop.

There's no actual written evidence that Rangers wore that white strip in any of the 1877 matches v Vale Of Leven.

From the Gallant Pioneers book:

"However in the 1870 edition of Alcock's annuals a team called Rangers does appear, based in Swindon, with a kit that included white trousers, white jersey with a blue star on the breast, and a white cap. The Rangers team that lost the Scottish Cup to Vale of leven after three games in 1877 were pictured in the photographers studio shorly afterwards in a very similar kit including the blue star on the breast of their shirts"

I agree that whilst there is no mention of them wearing it, i would still think they would have worn it at some point, otherwise why would they change from what we'd otherwise assume a light blue kit, the kit they'd played three epic games in (only to lose at the end) to a white one?

:)

Let's hope it wasn't some old stock that Harry and Peter had lying about the shop.

If anything it was their Clyde Rowing Club kits, but then again, Vallance is wearing the Lion Rampant (a sign of his playing for Scotland that season) so i doubt it's 'any old stock' :pipe:

And again i return to my point above, why would they go for a photograph in a totally different kit to that of the one they played in for the cup final? Especially seeing as the photo was taken 'soon after' the final, they'd get it done in the kit they wore at some point i'm sure.

McBoyd :praise:

4boysandabaw :praise:

Excellent work guys, the amount of time and effort you have put into this noble cause is awe-inspiring. McBoyd, your work and research into this has been superb, well done mate (tu)

(tu) Thanks mate, it'll be on-going for years i can assure you, you'll see many a photography project based around it too.

I oredered a plaque today, will get it on Saturday, for William McBeath in Lincoln. I will be taking it down to Lincoln on Tuesday. Will post pics when done.

Here is the plaque I will be taking to Lincoln on Tuesday, and a wee flag too but no picture of that.

002-3.jpg

I oredered a plaque today, will get it on Saturday, for William McBeath in Lincoln. I will be taking it down to Lincoln on Tuesday. Will post pics when done.

Here is the plaque I will be taking to Lincoln on Tuesday, and a wee flag too but no picture of that.

002-3.jpg

Thats fantastic mate (tu) it's amazing nothing is on there already, and i think it's brilliant that you've done this.

Make sure to take pictures when you visit Lincoln, i'll be down one day to photograph the resting place and hopefully your plaque there.

Again you deserve top credit for this :)

Something similar, would go down well on Moses' grave i think, something subtle :pipe:

002-3.jpg

Thats fantastic mate (tu) it's amazing nothing is on there already, and i think it's brilliant that you've done this.

Make sure to take pictures when you visit Lincoln, i'll be down one day to photograph the resting place and hopefully your plaque there.

Again you deserve top credit for this :)

Something similar, would go down well on Moses' grave i think, something subtle :pipe:

Ive thought of that already, a small nameplate with Gallant Pioneer on it, I will get 4 and put them at the gravesites, in Scotland.

Great stuff mate (tu)

Will you mention 'Moses McNeil, a founder of Rangers FC lies here' (or something similar)? Or just 'Gallant Pioneer' it'd be great to see the plaque at Moses' grave, but if i recall i remember reading something about the 'Founders Comitee' doing something too (ill try find the link about it from followfollow)

.. hopefully Rangers don't just discard yours when they go to do something there though!

Great stuff mate (tu)

Will you mention 'Moses McNeil, a founder of Rangers FC lies here' (or something similar)? Or just 'Gallant Pioneer' it'd be great to see the plaque at Moses' grave, but if i recall i remember reading something about the 'Founders Comitee' doing something too (ill try find the link about it from followfollow)

.. hopefully Rangers don't just discard yours when they go to do something there though!

I will put a flag at the unmarked gravesite and hopefully there will be a bench nearby and I will screw it on to it. or a tree.Whatever happens to it after that so be it, what matters is the intention and the act.

Thanks prodigy98

Great stuff mate (tu)

I will put a flag at the unmarked gravesite and hopefully there will be a bench nearby and I will screw it on to it. or a tree.Whatever happens to it after that so be it, what matters is the intention and the act.

Thanks prodigy98

(tu) True.

There is a tree not far from the grave, if you were thinking of putting it there. :)

Your idea reminds me of something in my town, Blandford Forum. It was burnt down by accident in the 1700's, and rebuilt, around town there are wee golden plaques on certain buildings with details of what interest they were to the towns downfall and rebuild, and to see four 'GALLANT PIONEERS' plaques around the resting places would be fantastic, subtle, yet anyone in the know will realise what they are. (tu)

Great stuff mate (tu)

Thanks prodigy98

(tu) True.

There is a tree not far from the grave, if you were thinking of putting it there. :)

Your idea reminds me of something in my town, Blandford Forum. It was burnt down by accident in the 1700's, and rebuilt, around town there are wee golden plaques on certain buildings with details of what interest they were to the towns downfall and rebuild, and to see four 'GALLANT PIONEERS' plaques around the resting places would be fantastic, subtle, yet anyone in the know will realise what they are. (tu)

Brilliant idea. Lets do it, wee Galllant Pioneers nameplates left at all the Gallant pioneers sites. Ask the people who own any GP propertys nowadays if we can do it, such as the Curry house in union st Glasgow that was McNeil sports shop, I will go in and ask them soon. You can do all the clever clogs computer stuff, I'll do the leg work :)

Brilliant idea. Lets do it, wee Galllant Pioneers nameplates left at all the Gallant pioneers sites. Ask the people who own any GP propertys nowadays if we can do it, such as the Curry house in union st Glasgow that was McNeil sports shop, I will go in and ask them soon. You can do all the clever clogs computer stuff, I'll do the leg work :)

:lol:

That'd be brilliant, and i'd love to be involved, but.. although, i think the Rangers Founders Committee at followfollow are doing very similar (with the first plaque unveiling on September 6th at Glasgow Green), so we'd have to see where and what they are doing first..

therangerstraillrg.jpg

That'd be brilliant, and i'd love to be involved, but.. Sadly though, i think the Rangers Founders Committee at followfollow are doing very similar (with the first plaque unveiling on September 6th at Glasgow Green), so we'd have to see where and what they are doing first..

Why "sadly"?

Surely it's a good thing regardless of who does it?

That'd be brilliant, and i'd love to be involved, but.. Sadly though, i think the Rangers Founders Committee at followfollow are doing very similar (with the first plaque unveiling on September 6th at Glasgow Green), so we'd have to see where and what they are doing first..

Why "sadly"?

I have acted independently all my life as a lone ranger, ive never asked permission, ive just done it. Rangers belongs to all.

Why "sadly"?

I have acted independently all my life as a lone rangers, ive never asked permission, ive just done it. Rangers belongs to all.

That was my point.

Why "sadly"?

You're right, that was the wrong choice of word, what you took it as isn't what i ment at all, i just ment, sadly for 4BAAB that the idea is already in motion.

I think what the Rangers Founders Committee have done is brilliant work, i can't wait to get involved and go along to the many things they have planned. So don't think i have something against them doing something.

I'll change that :P