Poor Article by Gibbons

OlegKuznetsov

I had quite a laugh and a few criticisms of this article, which glosses over Aberdeen's gifting of at least two goals.. I was also shocked that Gibbons has made it to the Guardian/Observer.

Rangers rely on muscle over finesse

Scottish Premier

Rangers 4

McCulloch 14, Miller 34, Miller 72, Naismith 83

Falkirk 1

Finnigan 24

Glenn Gibbons at Ibrox

guardian.co.uk, Saturday 15 August 2009 18.19 BST

larger | smaller

Rangers' Kenny Miller celebrates after scoring his second goal against Falkirk at Ibrox. Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Scottish Premier League first-day watchers would have learned nothing they did not already know. Celtic's 3-1 victory at Aberdeen would be followed by this ultimately convincing victory by Rangers at Ibrox. Despite the difference in the respective winning margins, however, it was Tony Mowbray's side who delivered the more impressive performance.

Walter Smith's side were sluggish by comparison, relying primarily on physical strength rather than finesse to bring goals from Kenny Miller (two), Lee McCulloch and Steven Naismith. Celtic's treatment of Aberdeen, especially during a first half of unrelenting bullying, was severe enough to have caught the attention of the social services. The double from Aiden McGeady and the single from Scott McDonald that gave them a 3-0 lead by the interval were actually scant reward for a performance that was utterly irresistible.

That they finished the match with their advantage reduced by Sone Aluko's ferocious second-half volley was attributable largely to their apparently having become bored with the ease of their authority and, perhaps, with the intention of conserving energy for the Champions League meeting with Arsenal on Tuesday.

Celtic's result, nevertheless, presented Rangers with a challenge, and the champions responded as early as their supporters would have hoped with McCulloch's thundering strike. The midfielder worked hard to take possession when a slack pass put Burton O'Brien in trouble and, having taken a forward stride, McCulloch sent a powerful volley high to the right of Robert Olejnik from 35 yards.

Despite their lead, Rangers were pedestrian for much of the time. This was at least partly due to this being their first competitive match of the season. Celtic at Pittodrie had shown the benefit of their Champions League outings against Dynamo Moscow with their high-tempo assaults on the home defence.

It was not a surprise, therefore, when Falkirk equalised, Carl Finnigan lurking just four yards from goal to turn Scott Arfield's low centre past Allan McGregor with the inside of his left foot. But, having survived a proper scare when Miller scooped his seemingly unmissable chance wide from a pass by McCulloch, Falkirk conceded again when Miller was allowed a free header from Steven Davis's cross from the right. The visiting defenders may have believed the striker to have been offside, as he was quite isolated when he converted. That the person who operates the big screen at Ibrox chose not to replay the goal deepened suspicions over its legitimacy.

Despite their frequent failure to impose themselves, Rangers contrived and, inexplicably, squandered opportunities to extend their advantage by a convincing margin. Davis was especially profligate when he took possession inside the area, turned into unchallenged space and from 12 yards, with only Olejnik to beat, sent the shot wide of the goalkeeper's left post.

Miller, however, would complete his double with a finish of such purity that he would cause the majority in the stands to wonder how he could be so wasteful and so productive in the course of a single match. As Miller carried the ball into the left side of the Falkirk area and Naismith made a decoy run that teased a couple of defenders out of position, the striker relied entirely on his own ability to smash a left-foot shot from 12 yards out to the left of goal past the exposed Olejnik.

By the time Naismith scored the fourth, Falkirk appeared to have slumped into self-pity. The attempt to cut out Davis's through ball to the scorer was quite pathetic, allowing Naismith to roll the ball past Olejnik from only eight yards.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2009

Glenn Gibbons: Fibs, fables and failure as a journalist.

By Knight of the Swan

Sunday, 16th August 2009

New season but same partial fantasy stories and wishful thinking from the Scottish media.

It used to be the case that a reporter had to possess an intimate knowledge of the game, and be able to make those who had missed the action feel as though they were there. He, it was always a He, was a true pro if he could help bring to life in the mind of the reader the bare words on a page.

Nowadays, when so many games are televised, barely a game involving Rangers truly requires a match report, and so those paid to do so have to rely on some talent for making the reader see anew a detail about the game they might have missed while caught in the passions of the matchday experience. What we so often get instead is a comedy of basic errors, with the whiff of partiality ruining the published work. It has almost become the norm within the industry.

Today's Observer article by Glenn Gibbons, however, has set the bar rather high. Even allowing for the commonplace incompetence and enthusiasm for blunder rife throughout the Scottish footballing media corps, this is Olympic standard material unlikely to be easily surpassed in season 2009/10.

A Rangers team victorious by four goals to one is derided as "relying primarily on physical strength rather than finesse", while much of the rest of the article chooses to suggest that Celtic's performance was far more worthy of praise.

To the latter in a moment, but some points concerning the Rangers game, and the way victory - and the lead in the SPL - was achieved:

Lee McCulloch's outstanding 35-yard finish; the cleverness of Fleck and precision of Davis for the second; and the solo run and finish of Miller (which Gibbons suggests himself was one "of (such) purity") are clearly secondary considerations.

A team guilty of half as many fouls as the opposition is obviously relying on muscle.

Still, Glenn manages to suggest Miller's first was offside (It wasn't) and that Davis played through Naismith for the fourth (he didn't). All from the comfort of one of the best seats in the house. Outstanding.

The "high-tempo assaults", the "unrelenting bullying" deemed "utterly irresistible" and the second-half withdrawal from conquest as they became "bored with the ease of their authority", came from Celtic at Pittodrie, against a team who have played three, lost three, and conceded eleven goals. Making it the worst result yet gained against Aberdeen this season. And all achieved while IRA chants rang through the air even before the ball was christened.

One wishes one was making it up. Gibbons is. Paid to paint a picture, to enrich, and to stimulate, he cannot even manage to fulfil his duty and accurately report, far less conceal his fantasies.

And all this on day one of the SPL season. Pathetic.

http://www.followfollow.com/news/loadnews....W&id=457944

Got halfway through the Gibbons article and had to stop reading it was such a joke. Didn't watch the Celtic match as I never watch any of there's unless it's against Rangers but the reporting of the Rangers game is just utter shit. Great response from FF.

Dont get the issue

Rangers did not play that well at all yesterday..inconsistent...passing in the Falkirk end was terrible. We were flattered by 4-1

I never watched the sellick game because i dont obsess about them

then again if we win by playing poorly and win the league...who cares

Dont get the issue

Rangers did not play that well at all yesterday..inconsistent...passing in the Falkirk end was terrible. We were flattered by 4-1

Hmmm I thought the issue was obvious, that Gibbons report is just plain wrong on most of the assertions. The Miller goal was never offside in a month of Sundays, yet he implies that it was.

His report is error strewn and surely the most impartial of readers would sense a bias to one half of the old firm. FFS he was there to report on the Rangers Falkirk game and spends half the report gushing about Celtic? How can that be right? How can that be acceptable?

Rangers did not play as well as they can and even Smith said we were patchy but what has any of that got to do with Celtics performance at Aberdeen?? Why did the author not give some credit to Falkirk? Pish Journalism

i love the guy'd description of big lee's goal

McCulloch sent a powerful volley high to the right of Robert Olejnik from 35 yards.

volley? wasnt the ball on the ground at the time?

Yeah, I wondered about that one, too.

probably too busy watching a re run of the tim game, heard big lee scored from 35 yards and thought "must be a volley"

Dont get the issue

Hmmm I thought the issue was obvious, that Gibbons report is just plain wrong on most of the assertions. The Miller goal was never offside in a month of Sundays, yet he implies that it was.

His report is error strewn and surely the most impartial of readers would sense a bias to one half of the old firm. FFS he was there to report on the Rangers Falkirk game and spends half the report gushing about Celtic? How can that be right? How can that be acceptable?

Rangers did not play as well as they can and even Smith said we were patchy but what has any of that got to do with Celtics performance at Aberdeen?? Why did the author not give some credit to Falkirk? Pish Journalism

That was a joke from him, the wee dig about the stadium not replaying the goal was pathetic.

Nothing about the penalty claims? :ph34r::lol:

Oh well, if this is what I'm up against then I'm a shoo-in for a job :pipe:

was drinking with a journo last night

works for a sunday newspaper doing the sport(football and racing mainly)

good bluenose

That's a rarity.

He must be in danger of losing his post :(

Be prepared for this all season from the Scot/republican mhedia..............they will have you believing the manks are the 1970 Brazil team, and McGayday is the reincarnation of Jinky Johnston[let hope wee aids steals a boat and it sinks in the sea this time].

The report is rubbish as are most now in any paper I just watch the games now and judge for myself its the best way. Going by his report we scored 4 and missed as many again, so is he saying we should,ve scored 7/8 goals yesterday not bad for a poor performance, hope we,re as bad most weeks then, another season same old same old.

i love the guy'd description of big lee's goal

McCulloch sent a powerful volley high to the right of Robert Olejnik from 35 yards.

volley? wasnt the ball on the ground at the time?

Yeah, I wondered about that one, too.

Actually, do you remember at Tannadice, Pedro's goal was described by many as "Mendes took a touch then volleyed home"- he didn't;he just repositioned his body.

If you can't tell the difference between a player touching the ball and merely repositioning his body, then you don't know much about the game and shouldn't be telling others about it.

I am sure a poster like covenanter will be able to tell a few tales about gibbons but he is without doubt the most bitter of all the hacks out there. He must be gutted that speirs stole his crown as the most hated journalist.

you have to wonder why his editor didin't question why he had som many refrences to Celtic in the rangers match report

Guest Andypendek

It was drivel.

But in fairness, the SPL is condensed into less than a quarter page in the Observer, resulting in whoever covers it having to blend the OF reports (the others don't get a mention) into the one story. And he did mention we were less match sharp than timothy.

But that said, it reeked of childish point scoring, and is riddled with inaccuracy. One wonders if he was actually at Ibrox, or was he, by some odd chance, at Pittodrie and relying on a feed to see the Rangers game?

I'm still bewildered at how anyone could possibly describe McCulloch's goal as being a 'volley'. This isn't that old stylistic debate about the difference between a chip and a lob; the ball was on the deck for about 15 seconds before he hit the shot. The mind boggles.

Was a great riposte by the author to dreadful analysis of our game.

Unfortunately such 'journalistic' contributions are all too common place in today's media. That is why newspapers are merging, journalists being laid off and independent internet sites on the rise.

We simply don't need them any more.