Roy Jones JR v Jeff Lacy

Stuart_RFC

Anyone watch this the other night? Glimpses of RJJ of old, spectacular at times. Fight got stopped in round 10, as Lacy was taking a severe beating. He has never been stopped or KO'd before.

Jones Jr is 1 of my favourite all time boxers, although i wanted Calzaghe to beat him. But he is still a legend (tu)

Jones is still shot, Lacy is awful. Jones will get reitred if he fights anyone decent. Its sad to see.

Is is sad but he just loves boxing so much he doesn't know when to call it a day.

On his day he would have destroyed Calzaghe no bother, he could hit as hard as a heavy wieght with the speed of a light weight, brilliant.

Jones is still shot, Lacy is awful. Jones will get reitred if he fights anyone decent. Its sad to see.

Is is sad but he just loves boxing so much he doesn't know when to call it a day.

On his day he would have destroyed Calzaghe no bother, he could hit as hard as a heavy wieght with the speed of a light weight, brilliant.

Maybe, but JC wasn't at his brilliant best v Jones either. Those 2 at their peak v each other would have been a tremendous fight. Jones was like a man possessed after the scandal in the Olympics, as soon as he turned pro he was a wrecking machine.

I know neither him nor Lacy were at their best the other night, but there was the odd time when Jones reminded us all just what he is capable of. Like i said, true legend.

Maybe, but JC wasn't at his brilliant best v Jones either. Those 2 at their peak v each other would have been a tremendous fight. Jones was like a man possessed after the scandal in the Olympics, as soon as he turned pro he was a wrecking machine.

I know neither him nor Lacy were at their best the other night, but there was the odd time when Jones reminded us all just what he is capable of. Like i said, true legend.

Jones at his peak would have destroyed Calzaghe without a doubt Calzaghe was a good fighter but never a great fighter

Jones at his peak would have destroyed Calzaghe without a doubt Calzaghe was a good fighter but never a great fighter

Meh, i suppose that is a different debate. I see Calzaghe as a great fighter, others don't. I don't think he would have destroyed him by any stretch of the imagination though.

Meh, i suppose that is a different debate. I see Calzaghe as a great fighter, others don't. I don't think he would have destroyed him by any stretch of the imagination though.

not tryin to highjack the thread but why do u class him as great fighter ?

not tryin to highjack the thread but why do u class him as great fighter ?

Retiring as undefeated world champion. He had the super-middleweight world championship for about 9 or 10 years, that is staggering in this day in age. His fights v Kessler, Lacy and Eubank were different class. I know he beat B-Hop and RJJ but people will continue saying that they were just old and past it when he fought them so i won't even bring that up.

46 fights, 46 wins. Great fighter. Maybe not in a "of all time" list, but a great fighter none-the-less.

But mate, like i said, thats my opinion, JC has a lot of different views on him, which like i say, is probably for another debate (tu)

Calzaghe is a great fighter, to retire undefeated is some feat. He fought greats like, Hopkins, Eubank, Jones jr and beat them all.

But Jones went from middle weight all the way to Heavy weight and won the world title. A phenomenan and one of the top 5 fighters of all time imo.

:praise:

Calzaghe is a great fighter, to retire undefeated is some feat. He fought greats like, Hopkins, Eubank, Jones jr and beat them all.

But Jones went from middle weight all the way to Heavy weight and won the world title. A phenomenan and one of the top 5 fighters of all time imo.

:praise:

but he fought them when they were by it IMO a liked Calzaghe but IMO he only had 1 great fight that was against Kessler

Yes Jones wasn't at his best but Hopkins was. Look at Hopkins now, he's still the top dog in his division.

To go 46 and 0 must put him in the elite group. If that doesn't then god knows what does.

Calzaghe only beat 1 good fighter in their prime and that was Kessler. He was good but not a great IMO.

You have to give him the Hopkins scalp aswell surely?

Look what B-hop did to Pavlik who was No.1 at the time. He schooled him for 12 rounds, was one of the most on sided contests I had seen.

Yes Jones wasn't at his best but Hopkins was. Look at Hopkins now, he's still the top dog in his division.

To go 46 and 0 must put him in the elite group. If that doesn't then god knows what does.

its impressive but if he hadnt hid from good fighters and beat better fighters in there prime he would have went up in my opinion Hopkins was 40 when he fought calzaghe

its impressive but if he hadnt hid from good fighters and beat better fighters in there prime he would have went up in my opinion Hopkins was 40 when he fought calzaghe

Yes and 42 when he destroyed the undefeated Pavlik. Age is just a number mind.

Calzaghe only beat 1 good fighter in their prime and that was Kessler. He was good but not a great IMO.

You have to give him the Hopkins scalp aswell surely?

Look what B-hop did to Pavlik who was No.1 at the time. He schooled him for 12 rounds, was one of the most on sided contests I had seen.

I only give him partial credit for the Hopkins win as he was 43 at the time and personally I think deserved no more than a draw from the fight. Im not a Pavlik fan but Hopkins fights at 175 and Pavlik 160, sure Hopkins put on a masterclass but thr is a big weight gap thr also.

Calzaghe may have had a 'title' for 9/10 years, but it was the WBO, the weakest of the 4 main titles. During that reign he never attempted to unify (which says a lot) until Lacy chased a fight with him. He wasn't the ring champ until the Lacy fight (despite having a shit belt for a decade) and fought absolutely no-one between a shot Eubank and Lacy (who has turned out to be another yank hype-job).

He never attempted to fight the no1 boxer in the world (RJJ) despite the fact he was only 1 weight above him; well until Roy was too old! In Joe's book about 3 years before the Jones fight, he actually states that there is no point fighting Jones now, as he is a shadow of the fighter he once was.......fast forward a few years during Joe's legacy stealing fights against the old men and he's all over it like a dug in beetroot!

Calzaghe is a good fighter, but a total conman! He never gave Reid a re-match and never attempted any legacy defining fights with a peak fighter! Eubank, Jones and BHop were all well past it by the time Joe fought them, and Kessler is still learning (we still dont know if he will be that good). Calzaghe also refused to give Froch the opportunity to beat up on an old man......like what Joe spent the end of his career doing (in between fighting reality TV starts)! Can anyone actually defend Joe for fighting Manfredo instead of Froch?

Calzaghe may have had a 'title' for 9/10 years, but it was the WBO, the weakest of the 4 main titles. During that reign he never attempted to unify (which says a lot) until Lacy chased a fight with him. He wasn't the ring champ until the Lacy fight (despite having a shit belt for a decade) and fought absolutely no-one between a shot Eubank and Lacy (who has turned out to be another yank hype-job).

He never attempted to fight the no1 boxer in the world (RJJ) despite the fact he was only 1 weight above him; well until Roy was too old! In Joe's book about 3 years before the Jones fight, he actually states that there is no point fighting Jones now, as he is a shadow of the fighter he once was.......fast forward a few years during Joe's legacy stealing fights against the old men and he's all over it like a dug in beetroot!

Calzaghe is a good fighter, but a total conman! He never gave Reid a re-match and never attempted any legacy defining fights with a peak fighter! Eubank, Jones and BHop were all well past it by the time Joe fought them, and Kessler is still learning (we still dont know if he will be that good). Calzaghe also refused to give Froch the opportunity to beat up on an old man......like what Joe spent the end of his career doing (in between fighting reality TV starts)! Can anyone actually defend Joe for fighting Manfredo instead of Froch?

No they cant m8. One thing is for sure if Froch had Calzaghe down in round 1 like Jones and Hopkins, Calzaghe would not have got off the hook and seen round 2.

spot on always liked Calzghe and wanted him to win but no where near a great fighter

And never knew that ? typical

I'd say Jeff Lacy was world class and on the top of his game when Calzaghe beat him. The reason he hasnt done anything is because of Calzaghe. Being dismantled like that would have been psychologically damaging and he never got back in the zone.

Saying that i'm not the biggest fan of Calzaghe and agree that his career was spent taking the easiest fights possible until he was pushed to fight lacy and kessler then cashed in by fighting a past their prime jones and hopkins. (Hopkins has been past it ever since taylor beat him, the pavlik fight was above pavliks natural weight and he gets his fights hand picked by golden boy, still an absolute legend of the game though)