Hypotheticaly what is a realistic fee for Boyd?

AlCapone

Around £4 mil regardless of his contract.

Okay, put it another way Craig...If an offer of £4 million came in, if you were the player would you wait another 4 months and sign for xyz club on a free and pocket the 4 Million as a signing on fee? No need to answer really is there? Boyd now has us over a barrell

2 mil for me but if noone comes in with that and we are in the last day of the window and only have a bid of 1 mil from whoever, i would take that as hes not going to be given a new contract imo and we need to get whatever we can for him in this window.

the voice of reason :) There will be no big bid me thinks due to his contract length

Even if Smith does not see a long term future for Boyd he must, must, must give him a decent long term contract, even if its just to keep his transfer fee inflated, even a 20k contracts only a million a year, its the difference between selling for 1.5 -1m and reducing as the time runs on, or getting a decent fee, its a no brainer ffs.

That's utter nonsense.

You can't say 'regardless of contract' when he only has ten months left.

Be realistic.

Why? Because 6 months has ran down on his contract we feel then need to half what we accepted 6 months ago. If a club is really that desperate for him now they should pay 4 mil.

But no club is going to be desperate for him and would rather wait until his contract runs down so I don't really see why we are having this discussion to be honest.

Well think about it this way;

Gareth Barry's value dropped from £20m to £12m in the last year of his contract, losing almost 50% of his value.

Why should Boyd be any different?

Most of this thread is blue tints and silly ideas, it just goes to show how unreasonable some people can be.

That's utter nonsense.

Be realistic.

Why? Because 6 months has ran down on his contract we feel then need to half what we accepted 6 months ago. If a club is really that desperate for him now they should pay 4 mil.

But no club is going to be desperate for him and would rather wait until his contract runs down so I don't really see why we are having this discussion to be honest.

Gareth Barry's value dropped from £20m to £12m in the last year of his contract, losing almost 50% of his value.

Most of this thread is blue tints and silly ideas, it just goes to show how unreasonable some people can be.

To be honest you should have just read the bit in bold.

That's utter nonsense.

Be realistic.

To be honest you should have just read the bit in bold.

I'm always being told how he's 'one of a kind' etc, so I'm sure there would be more interest in him than you imagine.

Anyone looking for a goalscorer with a spare £1.5-£2m could do worse.

A team in January who are desperate for a cheapish striker will pay between £1.5m - £2m for Boyd, rather than wait the 6 months to sign him on a bosman.

Absolutely.

I think that above was just the words of a man struggling to back up his original claim.

Boyd wouldn't sign a precontract with anybody I don't think. He's a Rangers fan and would it leave it to the last minute until rangers offered him a new one.

For the next week though, as said above by PG51, a team with a bit of money could do a lot worse with £2million. Natural goalscorer, some teams need it.

Do we though? Got plenty of guys who can score who aren't natural goalscorers; Miller, Lafferty, Novo etc

A team in January who are desperate for a cheapish striker will pay between £1.5m - £2m for Boyd, rather than wait the 6 months to sign him on a bosman.

Absolutely.

I think that above was just the words of a man struggling to back up his original claim.

Yeh, he didn't seem to grasp that when a player enters the final year of his contract valuations change.

Even if Boyd had 5 years left on his contract, I couldn't see any club paying more than £3.5m tbh(did B'ham not have £3m accepted?).

In my opinion we could have done with Boydy in the Advocaat era etc when we were crying out for a goalscorer, but in these times when the creativity is down and we need a team that will press the opposing teams everywhere he's rather a luxury. I reckon Novo or someone could fill in reasonably well. Novo scored about 25 in his first season with us when he was played up front.