Champions League 09/10

stupants

I feel we can get to the last 16 depending on the draw. If we are in pot 3 and drawn against Barcelona and Inter Milan then we have no chance and the Europa League will have to do. If we get bumped into pot 2 we should we be looking at the last 16. (tu)

I feel we can get to the last 16 depending on the draw. If we are in pot 3 and drawn against Barcelona and Inter Milan then we have no chance and the Europa League will have to do. If we get bumped into pot 2 we should we be looking at the last 16. (tu)

Spot on (tu)

:gerbad:

Just because we are possibly moving into pot 2 it isn't going to make the task of qualifying any easier.

The opportunity of taking Lyon, Inter, Juve and Lyon out of the equation obviously lifts a weight off of our shoulders as a support, but some of the teams in pot 3 are as good as teams in pot 2 and they too are capable of giving us a real run around, especially away from home.

Add in the possibility of an akward trip to Israel, Germany, Russia or Romania in pot 4 and I think we are facing a very tough task to get out ofmost groups.

It's achievable, but it's going to take a massive effort in every game for it to become a real possibility.

Knowing our luck we will probably make pot 2, get Man United and someone like Athletico Madrid out the 3rd pot. this would be a very difficult group.

If we get the draw then I don't see why we can't get to last 16. And even at that stage a good home result and a shut up shop away could work in a two legger.

Time will tell, to be honest am not one for making predictions, although I do think we will win the league this season.

I reckon we can get to the last 16 if we get into Pot 2 but wouldn't knock it out of reach even if we're in Pot 3. However, its a good time to point out that Wolfsburg are in Pot 4, so even if we got into Pot 2 we could still get them and it would be just as hard as Pot 3!

Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina need to beat Panathinaikos and Sporting Lisbon for us and we're in...Its looking likely too because with Lisbon losing two goals at home and Aguero just hitting an absolute belter from the tightest of angles -- and just as I'm typing this Leto has just hit a screamer for Panathinaikos. :rolleyes:

Tin hat time I feel....but, am I the only one that really couldn't care! For me...just getting there & taking the money is good enough for me. It'll be the usual....fighting for 3rd place, which would be a bonus! I'd still be happy just being in Europe after Xmas....although saying that....the fact we didn't have European football afer Xmas last season helped us win the league! (tu)

even if we do get into pot 2, IMO to progress into the last 16, we still need a VERY favourable draw. for example wolfsburg in pot 4 is a team who will have to avoided.

id much rather go into the last 16 of the CL but at the end of the day aslong as we are still in europe after christmas, then i'll be a happy man

Realistically, how far to you think we can progress?

Depends on the draw. Realistically we should be finishing 2nd in the group stages most seasons.

As we have not strengthened the squad, and are bare at the back, I think we'll be lucky to finish in the Europa League position.

Again, it depends on the draw. There are some cracking teams out there, and you never get an easy game in Europe, especially in the Champions League.