The Ibrox Support

NorfolkRanger

Ive just been looking back at those wonderful photos of Rangers supporters from the 60s/70s posted by Minstral in the 'Anyone got old photos of Gers fans from the 60's & 70's' thread. It got me thinking about today's current day supporters.

Now basing my findings on Saturdays game with Falkirk i was surprised at times the atmosphere was deathly quiet. Us Bears at some stages during the match were being out sung by a small pocket of visiting supporters!

Its seems at Ibrox a lot of people pay there money these days and just sit there like their at the theatre waiting to be entertained and only cheering when a goal has been scored. (Obviously this is not the case with OF and CL games i know).

Now i've always had the upbringing that you should get behind your team from the off and actually SUPPORT the team....And i'm sure this was how things were back then in the 60/70s...

But over the years the atmosphere has dipped imo. But the question is why?

• Is it the introduction of all seated stadiums?

• The banning of the songs we like to sing?

• Is it the new age fan who just goes to games as a hobby as mentioned by Minstral in another thread.

• Is it the quality of football being played on the park?

Rather than me just picking one out i firmly believe its a combination of ALL of them.

I guess some of you however will have strong opinions on this though....

Its a tricky one really as the person that pays their money has the right to cheer,boo or be silent!

And for anyone that thinks after reading this i am slating our support - far from it; i am just making an observation.

I think a big part is the terraces going and all the seats. When the enclosure had the seating added i think thats when a lot of the singing stopped. I know people pishing up the back is rancid but i think that it is a lot better standing. Look at the German stadiums. They have safe standing areas and the atmosphere at these games is brilliant. They also fit more people in the games paying less money.. i wish we could have a standing area or areas where we could be allowed to stand. Th blue order stand but what about other pockets around the stadium...

One major bad thing about the support just now is the fact that half the stadium leaves with ten minutes left.a game lasts 90 minutes and Rangers supporters should support all the time. It really enrages me..

I think a big part is the terraces going and all the seats. When the enclosure had the seating added i think thats when a lot of the singing stopped. I know people pishing up the back is rancid but i think that it is a lot better standing. Look at the German stadiums. They have safe standing areas and the atmosphere at these games is brilliant. They also fit more people in the games paying less money.. i wish we could have a standing area or areas where we could be allowed to stand. Th blue order stand but what about other pockets around the stadium...

One major bad thing about the support just now is the fact that half the stadium leaves with ten minutes left.a game lasts 90 minutes and Rangers supporters should support all the time. It really enrages me..

Yeah,that would be brilliant-would make the Bouncy a lot more easier and effective!I don't think I would personally use a standing area when going to the game but I see it's potential and think it would be a great improvement.

Without doubt the banning of certain songs has had an impact, even at Old Firm games.

I've got my tin hat on here but I don't see anything wrong with being a 90 minute bigot. Anything opposition fans sing or do within the confines of the stadium doesn't upset me in the slightest but unfortunately the PC brigade seem to winning that particular debate.

I'll admit I'll sometimes leave with 5 mins to go but if I don't it adds another hour if not more onto my journey if I stay that extra 5 mins.

the fact that football is aimed as a family thing now, rather than a working class men's game, i think is the reason for the lacking of atmospheres

when i sat in the govan rear, all around me was guys with their very young children, so singing stuff like "fuck the pope" etc wasnt the done thing

Football is becoming less and less a working man's game to go to these days.

As Minstral and JimBeamJunior have mentioned above its the increasing prices of match tickets and the fact football is being marketed now as a family sport.

A far cry from the crowds evident at Ibrox and grounds in general of the 70s,80s and early 90s.

We all know football has changed...but has it changed for the better? Im not too sure...

As Minstral and JimBeamJunior have mentioned above its the increasing prices of match tickets and the fact football is being marketed now as a family sport.

A far cry from the crowds evident at Ibrox and grounds in general of the 70s,80s and early 90s.

We all know football has changed...but has it changed for the better? Im not too sure...

I dont think that it has, we have to watch games that are boring and would put you to sleep. The modern day coaches are killing the game with being to negative. The last few seasons we have shown teams to much respect by playing 1 man up front and lumping high balls. At Ibrox we should be scared of no team and should attack, if we want to encourage kids to Ibrox then we have to give them football to enjoy. I know i might be biased but in the olden days the football and our suport were much better, but thats only my opinion. :)

I dont think that it has, we have to watch games that are boring and would put you to sleep. The modern day coaches are killing the game with being to negative. The last few seasons we have shown teams to much respect by playing 1 man up front and lumping high balls. At Ibrox we should be scared of no team and should attack, if we want to encourage kids to Ibrox then we have to give them football to enjoy. I know i might be biased but in the olden days the football and our suport were much better, but thats only my opinion. :)

football has totally changed now though minstral mate

the difference now of 1 point can mean millions for a team, after all the anger about tactics etc last season, we eventually won the league, maybe the gung ho is good to watch, but maybe we wouldnt have won the keague

money has killed football, diddy clubs are afraid to open up against the old firm in fear of losing 4,5 or even 6 goals and maybe going down by goal difference

football has totally changed now though minstral mate

the difference now of 1 point can mean millions for a team, after all the anger about tactics etc last season, we eventually won the league, maybe the gung ho is good to watch, but maybe we wouldnt have won the keague

money has killed football, diddy clubs are afraid to open up against the old firm in fear of losing 4,5 or even 6 goals and maybe going down by goal difference

Yes you are correct it has totally changed, it now revolves around money and as you say 1 point can mean millions. It is a shame that money has taken over the game but as you say the times have changed. (tu)

IMO its mainly the terraces going.

Where I sit in GF, the people round me have been there for years. We chat etc and its all fine.

But nobody, for rows and rows will join in a song from the Broomie or the Copland. It just never happens. I've sat there for maybe 15 years and I long since gave up being the only tool tbh. Every year I think about moving but i've got a cracking seat and see my mates at HT etc.

Anybody fancy a swap for a game for whatever reason let me know?

I sat In the Broomloan Rear for 3 years And Moved,not because of the Atmosphere just because i couldn't go to the old firm games. I moved to the West Enclosure and this is my 3rd Year In the West Enclosure, & the Atmosphere is not good in the west Enclosure as it was in the Broomloan, only as the OP Says if Celtic come/ European Games, & sometimes Aberdeen Etc.

I sat In the Broomloan Rear for 3 years And Moved,not because of the Atmosphere just because i couldn't go to the old firm games. I moved to the West Enclosure and this is my 3rd Year In the West Enclosure, & the Atmosphere is not good in the west Enclosure as it was in the Broomloan, only as the OP Says if Celtic come/ European Games, & sometimes Aberdeen Etc.

i have sat in the broomloan front for the past two year and most times the atmosphere wasnt good. Until the turn of the year last season the atmosphere grew a good bit sometimes, specialy against Dundee utd Hearts & Aberdeen ( And Celtic course ). But overall against the smaller teams its like the fans just think that we should win anyway so dont care to encourage the team. i sit like 10 seats away from blue order and most people round me do try and create a bit of an atmosphere most games

Im glad i was a 'Minstralite' during the 70's... there will never be anything to beat being in a packed Rangers end, be it, Ibrox, Hampden, or even the Piggery, when we were all going mental!!!

My last regular periods attending at Ibrox, was when the Enclosure was 'standing'..and that wasnt bad, but still not the same.

I cant comment on what its like to be a regular at an all seated Ibrox, but from all accounts , it will never be the same atmosphere as what we experienced.

Granted Its much safer for todays Bears than it was for us...and we can thank Willie Waddell for that. Thanks Willie, for keeping future Bears safe.

i have sat in the broomloan front for the past two year and most times the atmosphere wasnt good. Until the turn of the year last season the atmosphere grew a good bit sometimes, specialy against Dundee utd Hearts & Aberdeen ( And Celtic course ). But overall against the smaller teams its like the fans just think that we should win anyway so dont care to encourage the team. i sit like 10 seats away from blue order and most people round me do try and create a bit of an atmosphere most games

It just Shows you how much it has changed in just 5 years then. because We were always shouting /singing etc,And the people around us were a good Laugh.

When I sat up there,there were alot of Northan Irish Guys/Girls sat there most weeks. it was Brilliant.

:uk:

you know something , i've read with interest all the views on this board on a wide range of topics and discussion and to be honest Minstral is correct , we're not the same support we used to be , the one i was fortunate enough to probably just catch the tail end off , from mid-70's onwards only a nipper then but i remember going to the footie with my mate and his dad , we were kids and papped down the front of the Derry end , it was a training ground for getting to the middle of that vast terrace that swept up at the copland end , it was a right of passage and for me it's what engrained Rangers in my heart , don't get me wrong my family will come before anything , but nothing other than Rangers comes close to that.

But as Minstral has pointed out , and correct me if i'm wrong in your thinking Minstral , we have lost ourselves as a support (in comparison to previous era's) yep we still have the ability to rock that stadium to the core and show everyone we truly are the people , however it's few and far between nowadays and after 20 years in the Govan stand i would find myself culpable of adding to that unfortunately , however hopefully a new breed is coming through , my son is going to the games now and he wanted a seat in the Boomloan so he could sing , so thats where we sit now , his two pals next door whom i take with me also got seats in the Broomloan , three singers from the one street , so fear not there are still young guys who want out sing and bawl there lungs out every week and i'm chuffed my son is amongst them , perhaps making up for his dad's silence in the Govan over the last few years , thanks mainly to seating i'd say , thanks to an erosion of what being a scottish rangers supporting protestant is and thanks recently to mediocrity on the park , all have played there part and i like many others have been guilty of forgetting the good old days !!!

Ok , it;s a bit contrite but it's from the heart and i've had a beer or six , it might have gone totally off topic , but it's how i feel , even the old boy is back to singing at Ibrox , should have moved to the Broomloan years ago !!!

WATP !!!

you know something , i've read with interest all the views on this board on a wide range of topics and discussion and to be honest Minstral is correct , we're not the same support we used to be , the one i was fortunate enough to probably just catch the tail end off , from mid-70's onwards only a nipper then but i remember going to the footie with my mate and his dad , we were kids and papped down the front of the Derry end , it was a training ground for getting to the middle of that vast terrace that swept up at the copland end , it was a right of passage and for me it's what engrained Rangers in my heart , don't get me wrong my family will come before anything , but nothing other than Rangers comes close to that.

But as Minstral has pointed out , and correct me if i'm wrong in your thinking Minstral , we have lost ourselves as a support (in comparison to previous era's) yep we still have the ability to rock that stadium to the core and show everyone we truly are the people , however it's few and far between nowadays and after 20 years in the Govan stand i would find myself culpable of adding to that unfortunately , however hopefully a new breed is coming through , my son is going to the games now and he wanted a seat in the Boomloan so he could sing , so thats where we sit now , his two pals next door whom i take with me also got seats in the Broomloan , three singers from the one street , so fear not there are still young guys who want out sing and bawl there lungs out every week and i'm chuffed my son is amongst them , perhaps making up for his dad's silence in the Govan over the last few years , thanks mainly to seating i'd say , thanks to an erosion of what being a scottish rangers supporting protestant is and thanks recently to mediocrity on the park , all have played there part and i like many others have been guilty of forgetting the good old days !!!

Ok , it;s a bit contrite but it's from the heart and i've had a beer or six , it might have gone totally off topic , but it's how i feel , even the old boy is back to singing at Ibrox , should have moved to the Broomloan years ago !!!

WATP !!!

Good post and great to hear that we have youngsters coming through who are trying to get the atmosphere back again. (tu)

WATP !!!

I agree with you. I stand by what I said above, if you want to get singing, make a difference to the atmosphere at Ibrox join a supporters group. There is one in 3/4 stands and its easy enough to move seat to them.

WATP !!!

I agree with you. I stand by what I said above, if you want to get singing, make a difference to the atmosphere at Ibrox join a supporters group. There is one in 3/4 stands and its easy enough to move seat to them.

apologies for our mis-undertsanding earlier mate in the subway thread , we all want the same thing , just took exception to the exuberhance (am sure an english expert like you will correct a tipsy oldie like me over the spelling of that) of a youngster and his passion for Rangers - enjoy it mate for as long as you can , i have for over 25 years as an st holder and over 35 years if you count my nippers days , now enjoying getting bacdk to belting out tunes after so long sitting in silence (great seat i had tho !!! LOL) watp