Tonel

Chef

Gers once again linked with Tonel

Reports in the Portuguese press today suggest that Sporting Lisbon defender Tonel is likely to leave the club before the August 31st transfer deadline.

The former Maritimo defender has been strongly linked with the Light Blues, and has issued numerous 'come and get me' pleas through his agent in recent months.

The 29 year old's contract expires at the end of this season, which raises the possibility of the player being signed for a relatively low fee should Rangers be able to move a couple of additional players on.

As I posted yesterday, Rangers will have to make additional cuts before bringing anyone in, and will more than likely only be able to afford a loan deal at this stage.

Clearly, you can't believe every rumour that circulates about the club and the Portuguese press probably aren't aware of our financial situation.

That being said, with the possibility of Majid Bougherra being absent for one month in January for international duty, it would be sheer folly for the club to go with what they have in terms of central defenders for the entire season.

There certainly appears to be interest from both the player and the club in terms of making this move happen, and hopefully Tonel's lack of action during Sporting Lisbon's Champions League qualifiers suggest that some sort of move could be put together.

Despite the monetary issues, the club have consistently said that they won't be forced to sell any star players unless a big offer comes in for them.

What do you think, would you like to see Tonel at Ibrox? Do you think some sort of deal could be done this month for the Portuguese defender?

this again

how could anyone in he western world not know of our financial plight ffs

maybe a loan deal till end of season, followed by say 3 million quid move, but sporting would probably tell us to go take a flying fuck, and rightly so

Hopefully with Arsenal knocking the tims out that maybe gives us a small light at the end of the tunnel, however unlikely it may seem.

well i think if there is gonna be any transfer activity and say we are skint all you like, this is the most likely to come of anything involving incomings at ibrox and i think this will be the only one too, imo

this again

maybe a loan deal till end of season, followed by say 3 million quid move, but sporting would probably tell us to go take a flying fuck, and rightly so

Why the hell would we loan him for a year then pay 3 Million when his contract is about to expire? we can sign him in January on a pre-contract or even give them a couple of hundred thousand now for a loan deal for a year and sign him up after 6 months if he is looking good

this again

Why the hell would we loan him for a year then pay 3 Million when his contract is about to expire? we can sign him in January on a pre-contract or even give them a couple of hundred thousand now for a loan deal for a year and sign him up after 6 months if he is looking good

forgot about that part, what im basically saying is that sporting wont let him go the now unless we pay for him

this again

forgot about that part, what im basically saying is that sporting wont let him go the now unless we pay for him

They would probably dig their heels in right enough but if we still want him in January, we can get him on a pre-contract and try offering them peanuts then

"Very tired effort from Tonel!"

Sorry, I just wanted a reason to post it. :pipe:

If he was that good-some other club would have taken him away.

He looks pish, can probably head a ball & is big with poor footballing ability

Sounds like a future Rangers great :pipe:

Sounds like a future Rangers great :pipe:

Marvin.jpg

He looks pish

Based on what, a clip from YouTube where it was seconds from full time, and he was taken apart by a great run from Whittaker?

Tonel is a good player, he's shown that in Portugal, and in European competitions. He and Anderson Polga formed a pretty good partnership, and although Polga used to get the majority of the praise, Tonel was always the one who I rated higher. An injury, loss of form and bad luck has kept him out the side recently. I didn't see much of him last season, although I saw him in the Champions League on a few occassions, and he was pretty garbage in those games, especially against Bayern and Barcelona. I'm sure he scored in one of those matches aswell.

I think he needs a move away to get his career back on track, as it certainly doesn't help him sitting on the bench.

He looks pish

Based on what, a clip from YouTube where it was seconds from full time, and he was taken apart by a great run from Whittaker?

Tonel is a good player, he's shown that in Portugal, and in European competitions. He and Anderson Polga formed a pretty good partnership, and although Polga used to get the majority of the praise, Tonel was always the one who I rated higher. An injury, loss of form and bad luck has kept him out the side recently. I didn't see much of him last season, although I saw him in the Champions League on a few occassions, and he was pretty garbage in those games, especially against Bayern and Barcelona. I'm sure he scored in one of those matches aswell.

I think he needs a move away to get his career back on track, as it certainly doesn't help him sitting on the bench.

When him and Polga were both on form, nothing got by them, it was inspiring.