The Trust

numansnewman

Amazing the things I hear here about Blyth v Edgar, I have never met Edgar, however I do know Blyth and it seems to me there are an awful lot of folk on here spouting off stuff they dont know anything about. He is an intelligent man who is more than able to speak for himself and is not a mouthpiece for anyone else. The man loves Rangers as much as the rest of us and devotes a great deal of time to them. Who or what does Edgar speak for? I dont know him and therefore will make no judgement on him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing the things I hear here about Blythe v Edgar, I have never met Edgar, however I do know Blythe and it seems to me there are an awful lot of folk on here spouting off stuff they dont know anything about. He is an intelligent man who is more than able to speak for himself and is not a mouthpiece for anyone else. The man loves Rangers as much as the rest of us and devotes a great deal of time to them. Who or what does Edgar speak for? I dont know him and therefore will make no judgement on him.

blythe is a lawyer,templeton fell on his sword,because he was fed lies.

blythe agreed with the majority of edgars,17 points..he is a mouthpiece,templeton gave up for a reason.

the reason was shameful lies.

but the trust should respect the views of the assembly..but on balance,the trust have the balance..we do deserve better.

Amazing the things I hear here about Blyth v Edgar, I have never met Edgar, however I do know Blyth and it seems to me there are an awful lot of folk on here spouting off stuff they dont know anything about. He is an intelligent man who is more than able to speak for himself and is not a mouthpiece for anyone else. The man loves Rangers as much as the rest of us and devotes a great deal of time to them. Who or what does Edgar speak for? I dont know him and therefore will make no judgement on him.

A sensible answer, must have come from a female. :clap:

The reality is that there is no Edgar V Blythe. Both are commited Rangers fans who want the best for the Club but maybe have different ideas on how this should happen. Ross was hung out to dry earlier this year on radio. He was forced to admit that he agreed with all 17 points made in the WDB campaign but didn't back it. Let's face it, turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The Assembly is funded by the Club and will never come out criticising it. The Trust is funded by subscriptions from our members plus our own fundraising efforts. Therefore, if we think that the Club is not being run properly we can say so, the Assembly can't and wont. That said, the Trust has always given 100% support to the team.

The reality is that there is no Edgar V Blythe. Both are commited Rangers fans who want the best for the Club but maybe have different ideas on how this should happen. Ross was hung out to dry earlier this year on radio. He was forced to admit that he agreed with all 17 points made in the WDB campaign but didn't back it. Let's face it, turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The Assembly is funded by the Club and will never come out criticising it. The Trust is funded by subscriptions from our members plus our own fundraising efforts. Therefore, if we think that the Club is not being run properly we can say so, the Assembly can't and wont. That said, the Trust has always given 100% support to the team.

on balance..edgar is right,but that saddens me,cos both are fans..SDM abuses both..he lies..

or am i wrong ?

on balance..edgar is right,but that saddens me,cos both are fans..SDM abuses both..he lies..

or am i wrong ?

What do you think he lies about?

You might want to get to know a bit more about the assembly before you pass judgement. I have read much here about it which is totally false. I dont expect you to change your opinion because I said so, but just do me a favour and actually make the attempt to look further into it before making such statements, u just may find you arent totally right.

You might want to get to know a bit more about the assembly before you pass judgement. I have read much here about it which is totally false. I dont expect you to change your opinion because I said so, but just do me a favour and actually make the attempt to look further into it before making such statements, u just may find you arent totally right.

is edgar totally wrong ?

I'm sure you know that the Trust is represented on the Assembly. Do you mind me asking whether you met Ross and his Assembly colleagues at a NARSA convention?

What has either group done in the last couple of years that has been of real benefit to the fans.

Who have they attacked/defended or boycotted ?

If someone could list just 2...yes 2 major achievements for both organisations i would be grateful.

Forgotten all about that, how is it going ?

What has either group done in the last couple of years that has been of real benefit to the fans.

Who have they attacked/defended or boycotted ?

If someone could list just 2...yes 2 major achievements for both organisations i would be grateful.

It depends on what you call a 'major' achievement. In terms of the Trust we have;

Created thousands of new shareholders in the Club.

Raised (via our members) over £100,000 new investment in Club shares.

Not been afraid to criticise those running the Club when we think they have under-performed (WDB)

Defended the Club and fans on numerous occasions. Some examples are below.

POSITION STATEMENT ON ‘THE FAMINE SONG’, ACCUSATIONS OF ‘RACISM’ AND DR. JOHN REID’S SEPTEMBER 2008 LETTER TO THE CELTIC SUPPORT

BACKGROUND

The Board of the Rangers Supporters’ Trust believes that Celtic Chairman John Reid’s letter to his club’s supporters in September 2008 referring to a four-line chant sung by Rangers fans (colloquially known as ‘The Famine Song’) deserves a full and public response.

We view Dr Reid’s letter as the latest salvo in a campaign largely based on misinformation and driven by a sectarian political agenda. Ideally a response to this nonsense would come from the Chairman of Rangers Football Club, but in the absence of this the Rangers Supporters’ Trust has no hesitation in absolutely rejecting accusations of ‘racism’ made by Reid and other prominent Celtic apologists.

RACISM

Most impartial observers understand that racism is what was aimed at England player Emile Heskey in Zagreb on 10 September. Or closer to home, the shameful racist abuse aimed at Mark Walters at Celtic Park on 2 January 1988. ‘Racism’ is not a wind-up, however distasteful, aimed at Scottish Celtic fans and in rejecting these specious accusations the Trust restates our opposition to racism and sectarianism, which stands comparison to any other similar body:

•The RST sponsors the Walter Tull Trophy, named in honour of the 1st black commissioned officer in the British Army and contested by Rangers and Spurs

•The Trust has close links with the local Asian Community and sponsors a number of season tickets which give local kids the chance to attend and support Rangers

•The Trust organised and hosted the 2007 ‘Gers Pride’ Conference at Ibrox, involving high-profile speakers from Northern Ireland, Germany, academics and MPs in debate around positive aspects of identity and support

•The Trust was closely involved in the successful ‘self-policing’ initiative and has consistently sought to engage Rangers in meaningful dialogue with the Rangers support about culture, identity, behaviour and tradition

•The sole external link on the RST website front page is for ‘Show Racism The Red Card Scotland’.

SCOTS-IRISH COMMUNITY ISSUES

Dr Reid is entirely wrong in stating that ‘The Famine Song’ is “directed against the community of Irish descent in Scotland”, if for no other reason than many of those Rangers fans who sing this song are themselves of Irish descent. That such an obviously fallacious statement is unchallenged exposes the sheer poverty of public debate on this issue. The Trust asserts that Dr Reid has no right to appoint himself as a spokesperson on behalf of Scots of Irish descent, or to speak for anyone except himself or the Football Club he works for.

Dr Reid’s statement; “the Famine is non-sectarian and millions of people who died or were forced into mass emigration were from all faiths and traditions within Ireland” also contradicts his own assertion that the Famine Song is ‘racist’. If a song refers to a ‘non-sectarian’ event which affected ‘all faiths and traditions’, how can it possibly be racist – or sectarian, for that matter?

The historical reality is that Scotland received relatively few immigrants from Ireland as a result of the Famine, the vast majority havingarrived before or long after.[1] Notwithstanding, Celtic FC choose to play two songs over the stadium PA on home match days referring to the Famine: ‘The Fields of Athenry’ and ‘Let the People Sing’. The reasons for this are puzzling, but Dr Reid’s inflated rhetoric condemns a song which, far from being some sick ‘celebration’ of human tragedy is actually a mocking response to Celtic fans' tenuous, borderline obsessive, affiliations with the Republic of Ireland. As we demonstrate below, this is based predominantly on support for violent Irish Republicanism, the crudest anti-British rhetoric and a mentality rooted firmly in victimhood, regardless of the evidence. We believe such a position is no basis for making objective assessments about racism.

TACKLING SUBSTANTIVE ISSUES

1) CELTIC FC

The Trust believes that Dr Reid’s efforts would be better spent putting his own house in order. We note with great interest his statement that he will “condemn, without equivocation, the use of any chants or songs which can be interpreted as support for religious or ethnic hatred, or for acts of violence.” The Trust fully supports Dr Reid in this laudable aim and believes it would be helpful to detail the following.

Large sections of the Celtic support regularly indulge in vile chants celebrating the deaths of Rangers players such as Davie Cooper; laud the IRA’s sectarian murder gang with songs such as ‘Boys Of The Old Brigade’, ‘Roll Of Honour’ and ‘Sean South of Garryowen’; have Celtic Supporters Clubs named after IRA members such as Tom Williams; sing sectarian abuse at Rangers fans, employees and players, using phrases such as 'orange b*stards', 'h***' and 'animals'; celebrated the death of 66 innocent people in January 1971; sing “soon they’ll be no Protestants at all” in their version of ‘On The One Road’; sing “and when the music stops, F*ck King Billy and John Knox” and “Oh it’s great to be a Roman Catholic” in their version of ‘Roamin’ In The Gloamin’; abuse members of the Royal Family; and sing that they hope a Roman Catholic Rangers player, Nacho Novo, is murdered in his bed by the IRA. These are not the actions of an inclusive organisation ‘open to all’.

This behaviour would, in any normal society, be worthy of at least the same level of political comment and sustained media scrutiny as the song at issue. Despite the best efforts of Messrs. Reid, Lawwell and their cheerleaders, these are far from the actions of a small minority and the Rangers support wishes Dr Reid every success in taking the “stringent action” needed to tackle this abhorrent behaviour.

2) RANGERS FC

We believe that if the Club had treated the original complaints about ‘The Famine Song’ with the contempt they deserved, emanating as they did from the lunatic fringe of the Celtic support, ridiculous charges of ‘racism’ would have evaporated. Dr Reid’s letter is not in our view about tackling problems of racism and sectarianism. It is a thinly-veiled attempt, supported by the usual suspects, to beat Rangers FC and Rangers fans with a convenient stick. Nor have Strathclyde Police or the Procurator Fiscal given any cogent reasons why this chant breaches legislation.

The Trust takes this opportunity to make a public appeal to both the Chairman and the Chief Executive of Rangers FC. It is regrettable that a week after the Chief Executive issued an eloquent written plea for supporters to stop singing ‘The Famine Song’ at the home tie against Motherwell, the away support sang the song loudly and frequently at Easter Road. Our view is that this is yet more evidence of the absence of meaningful relationships between the Club’s senior leadership and the wider support, and the Trust repeats the offer it has made many times in private, to help build and develop such a relationship, essential if Club and support are to move forward together.

We firmly believe for all those who love Rangers that self-regulation, an engagement based on shared values, around an inclusive common identity celebrating the best of our traditions and built on mutual respect, represents the only viable way forward. The sooner we start to identify that common ground and move together, the better for all parts of the Rangers family.

(1) Brenda Collins in 'Irish Immigrants And Scottish Society' states that between the 1851 and 1871 census years, the number of Irish-born Scots remained virtually static at around 207,000.

In the period 1876 to 1921, she states that some 94,000 Irish immigrants came to Scotland, with a considerable number from Ulster. In Graham Walker's book, 'Intimate Strangers', the 1931 Scottish census showed that the total number of Irish-born was then 124,296, 2.5% of the total population, with 55% of these born in what was now Northern Ireland. Immigration to Scotland during and following the First World War was heavily from the Republic.

Trust advice to members attending Celtic Park - 31st August 2008

Over at least the last five years, many dozens of Trust members have expressed concerns about aspects of both policing and stewarding at Celtic Park

These concerns include:

being threatened with arrest or ejection from the stadium for spurious, trivial or unexplained reasons;

flags, banners and clothing with no offensive or sectarian connotations confiscated or not allowed into the Stadium;

a gratuitously hostile, unfriendly attitude displayed by a handful of police officers and, more worryingly, a large number of stewards;

intimidation and threats of arrest or ejection for singing ‘sectarian’ songs, despite said songs having no sectarian content or connotations.

These concerns have been aggravated by the obvious double standards on display, where the home support is seemingly at liberty to throw missiles at players and club employees, sing sectarian bile about ‘Orange b*stards’ and ‘H*ns’ and display offensive and sectarian banners and flags.

In advance of the game on Sunday, the Board of the Rangers Supporters’ Trust offers the following advice to our members:

1.Let’s conduct ourselves as we usually do, in a manner which accurately reflects the best traditions of our support and our Club and our pride in them.

2.The Club, the RST and other supporters’ groups are united in opposing racism, prejudice and sectarianism and have recognised the huge strides made by the Rangers support in recent seasons. Regardless of the inevitable provocation, do not hand our enemies any excuses for their behaviour or a propaganda gift by inappropriate singing or chanting.

3.Report any instances of provocative or inappropriate behaviour from opposition supporters to the police. Be polite, sensible and ask what, if any action is being taken.

4.If approached by stewards or police officers be calm, polite and avoid unnecessary confrontation. If asked to do something you believe unreasonable, ask precisely why or under what law or ground regulation this is being requested, and if necessary take note of names, police badge numbers and any witnesses in the vicinity.

5.If necessary use camera phones to record incidents of concern. If you or your fellow supporters are threatened, bullied, harassed or arrested unreasonably, ensure that you have witnesses to hand and note the location and time of any such incidents.

The Trust Board will be meeting this week, in advance of the RST AGM next Saturday, and will review the conduct and outcome of Sunday’s game. We have had informal discussions with the Club on this and have also previously raised the issues with Strathclyde Police. We remain concerned at the lack of clarity in the responses from the Constabulary and the refusal of a high profile public service to either engage with or explain themselves to the public they profess to serve. The Trust AGM provides a perfect opportunity for the issue of conduct and treatment at Celtic Park to be debated and for Trust members to decide collectively how we take this forward.

Stephen Smith

RST Chair, on behalf of the Trust Board

Trust secures an apology for the use of the word "h**"

From it's inception, the RST has prided itself on taking a zero tolerance approach to sectarian language used to describe the the Rangers support.

We have a particular problem with the word ‘h**’, a grossly offensive sectarian shorthand for ‘Protestant’ in common usage amongst Celtic fans and subsequently others. The organisation Nil By Mouth state on their website that “Sectarian language is commonly used in Scotland, with abusive terms such as "h**" and "Orange b*stard" being used against Protestants".

Last week a member of the Dublin Loyal RSC contacted the RST, drawing an interview in an Irish magazine to the Trust’s attention. In ‘TV Now’, a Celtic supporting television presenter Martin King referred to ex-player and celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey as a ‘h**’.

To quote our member: "I had a quick chat with one of the staff in TVNOW and she was curious about the term "h**" and I told her that a lot of Celtic supporters (here at least) mistake it as slang for nazi and use it against Rangers supporters. Given many Rangers supporters' family history of service in the British army (including three generations in my own) this is not only inaccurate but grossly offensive, as many paid the ultimate sacrifice to fight fascism while Irish nationalists openly supported Germany. I think she got the point."

The Trust intervened on request and two telephone calls and an email exchange later, both the 'TV Now' magazine’s Editor Deborah McGee and Martin King phoned the Trust Chairman, Stephen Smith, to apologise in person. Both were genuinely contrite and keen to assure the RST and the people who raised the complain that no offence was intended. Mr King himself wrote the apology for using the term and this appeared in the magazine on 17 February.

Not only do Ms McGee and Mr King deserve credit for what they did, but by their swift restorative actions they expose the shameful shortcomings of the media and football authorities in Scotland. The Trust wishes to make it clear that the role assigned to the Rangers support - a convenient whipping boy whenever the sectarian card is played - is not and will never be acceptable to us.

We restate our committment to opposing all forms of prejudice and sectarianism and our belief that this will only be possible when these problems are addressed comprehensively and in a way which does not seek to dishonestly blame one set of football fans for a complex and deep-rooted social ill.

Trust writes to MSP about Hokey-Cokey fiasco and refutes latest lies by Graham Speirs

Following recent newspaper articles about the singing of 'The Hokey Cokey',specifically those making ridiculous statements about undefined anti-Roman Catholic sentiment and then bizarrely implying that the Rangers support were involved in some fiendish plot to sing this song on December 27th.The Trust has written to the MSP respsonsible, Michael Matheson.

Rather than investigate this before commenting or dismissing the story as the nonsense it is, Mr Matheson apparently decided self-publicity was more important than the facts. We believe that his intervention has been extremely ill-informed, unhelpful and simply aggravates the existing position.

The text of our letter to Mr Matheson is attached below.

This fiasco comes less than a week after Scottish football's least credible writer, Graham Spiers, lied that the Trust had refused to debate with him on a BBC Radio 4 programme about 'The Old Firm' scheduled to air on Boxing Day evening. This is completely untrue and in any case would be akin to us being afraid of a marshmallow or a kitten. The sum total of what Mr Spiers knows about football would hardly fill a 'Post-It' note, so we are happy to correct this nonsense and dismiss it as the childish fantasy of a simpering inadequate.

Finally, can we wish all of our members and the wider Rangers support the very best for the Festive Season and for 2009.

Yours in Rangers,

The Board of the RST

In addition to the above we were heavily involved in the Sam English Committee which celebrated the 100th anniversary of his birth and commissioned the magnificent silver bowl that Kris Boyd received as top scorer and will be awarded every year to the club's top scorer.

We have held events to support the RSEA which has raised over £60K for Erskine.

We are giving 4 season tickets to either our members or worthy causes every home game.

We run the second biggest Rangers Lotto agency bringing in hundreds of pounds each week for youth development.

There is much more but I don't want to go on too much. :ph34r:

I would like people to use the Queens English on this forum, rather then the low word wrap, no capital of full stops, come on people you must have learned that in primary 5.

1. should be "Queen's English"

2. superfluous comma after "forum"

3. "then" should read "than"

4. "of" should read "or"

5. paragraph/sentence is poorly constructed and you should have started a new sentence from "come on"

6. while not wrong to use "learned" (American English) the spelling "learnt" (British English) is more appropriate

These are only a few examples of your poor use of the Queen's English; indeed I have probably made some mistakes in my reply. :pipe::P

Don't you just hate it when you spend a lot of time on a response and the person asking the question then ignores it? :rolleyes:

Yes....... :angry:

Forgotten all about that, how is it going ?

:(

Sorry, you must have spent a good few hours on that one. :rolleyes: It's going fine, just needs a bit of updating. Thank you for asking.

I await the update......

Okay. I've changed a couple of things and taken out the bit about low morale. At the time this was issued we were 7 points behind Celtic, staring at 4IAR and wanting to sell our top scorer. If you disagree with the points then, of course you are free to do so.

We Deserve Better

The Rangers Support have shown our loyalty time and time again, culminating in a world record 200,000 supporters travelling to Manchester for the UEFA Cup Final in May 2008. This is an achievement no other club in the world could match. Our loyal supporters have, however, grown increasingly frustrated at the direction the club has taken in the last decade, with a pattern of events showing that the Board of Rangers FC have failed the support consistently.

Areas of concern include;

•Reduction in the status of our club from leading football force in the land, to almost 'social pariah' status through a failure to challenge those seeking to link Rangers with sectarianism

•Failure to profit from our most lucrative ever season

•No discernible strategic vision, either on or off the pitch

•No long-term transfer or team-building plan

•Failure to engage with or interact with the support in any meaningful way

•Treating Rangers fans with disdain as 'customers' instead of valuing and working with them as 'supporters' and part of the Rangers family

•Inability to either attract inward investment, or to convince fans to invest in any meaningful way

•Selling first team players to cover losses previously made on fringe players

•Consistent failure to move fringe players on for reasonable transfer fees

•Lucrative pay-offs for failed players

•Only 3 league titles in 9 seasons

•Only 3 cups won in last 3 full seasons

•Losing to the worst European opponents faced since Valletta in 1983

•Only two youth players (McGregor and Hutton) of genuine quality produced in the last decade

•A PR operation which only acts when senior club figures are personally criticised and all too often fails to defend the Rangers support

•A 'state of the art' training facility, yet no advancements in technique or set plays

We deserve better.

We have always been the club who set the standards for others to follow.

It was Rangers who led the way in stadium redevelopment; it was Rangers who dragged Scottish football forward by signing big name English and European players. Other teams trailed in our wake.

There is so much to be grateful for that we are Rangers fans. Right now, however, our current regime is not even aspiring to the standards set by their predecessors.

We deserve better.

We now issue a public challenge to the Board of the Club to take steps which will improve our situation immediately, to state what they plan to do and to work with the support.

Rangers fans do understand that the current situation will take time and a workable strategy to escape from but the club must make the major changes necessary, rather than conduct transfer window fire-sales and lurch from crisis to crisis with no discernible game plan.

We deserve better.

We call on all fans groups and supporters to unite let the Club Board know how we feel. While we will continue to back the team 100%, as is the way of Rangers fans, the people at the top of the club must realise that we will no longer accept the avoidable situation we currently find ourselves in.

We deserve better.

It's time for the Club Board to recognise this and strive to achieve it.

Sorry coops i thought you meant you were going to add some meat to the bones instead of just repeating the poorly thought out rant of last Christmas, when you decided to kick the club when they were down was the best plan of attack.

This was unpopular everywhere but a MB where it wasn't allowed to be unpopular. I am sure the rangers haters in the press loved it if that helps. When all you do is moan instead of suggest improvements i don't think you are adding anything to the debate.

I presumed this was quietly dropped rather than still on of your list of projects, good to hear something form the rst though as a quick scan of your website made me wonder if you were finished all together

P.S. i think they have put a few more of your moans to bed that you could remove....

Sorry coops i thought you meant you were going to add some meat to the bones instead of just repeating the poorly thought out rant of last Christmas, when you decided to kick the club when they were down was the best plan of attack.

This was unpopular everywhere but a MB where it wasn't allowed to be unpopular. I am sure the rangers haters in the press loved it if that helps. When all you do is moan instead of suggest improvements i don't think you are adding anything to the debate.

I presumed this was quietly dropped rather than still on of your list of projects, good to hear something form the rst though as a quick scan of your website made me wonder if you were finished all together

P.S. i think they have put a few more of your moans to bed that you could remove....

Suggestions for improvement have been made on numerous occasions. They don't listen and think they know best. You think we kicked the club when they were down - those running the club have been doing that to the supporters for years. If you think announcing to the world that we are skint and that vitrually anyone was for sale was in the Club's best interest then fine. Luckily the team got it's act together and Celtic imploded or who knows what we would be facing now. I don't know the numbers opting for the three year season ticket deal. Let's hope that it wasn't significant because if we can't buy a player with this additional income plus the CL money, what will it be like in the next few years? I'm delighted we're champions and this was never about not supporting the team but you need to look at the bigger picture. I want the Club still to be around for my grandchildren to support.