John Fleck

Dietspam

There has been a lot of hype about Fleck over the past few years. Tipped as being one of the brightest players that could come through our ranks in recent times. He played a good game against Falkrik last year. That was it. Started an Old Firm, but, not surprisingly, failed to do anything significant in that game. This season he has started both games. I don't think he played really well against Falkirk, and today against Hearts he had a nightmare first half.

He's 18 today. Still a very young lad. Are we pushing him to hard? I've always believed that if you are good enough, then you're old enough. Big DJ is living proof of that. But is he really good enough at the moment? I think Rangers should start looking at a loan option for him. 18, i think, is a decent age to get loaned out. Get him some regular (hopefully) first team games at a decent club, with the option to recall at any time.

If Rangers were to loan him out, what level do you think he's at? Championship? League one?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't loan him out, he's good enough for the first team IMO. He played well in his first few games, was pretty much invisible against Celtic but so was everyone. I thought he played good against Falkirk last week too. He will be a good player but some fans are going to be disappointed if they think he's the next Wayne Rooney.

No lower than the championship

Maybe loaning out to a team in the spl would be good 4 him since it is where he'd be playing for us, but i dont really have a problem with him bein on the bench coming on every game or 2, maybe starting against the lower teams and in the cups, but i wouldnt start him most games yet

i was suprised when he started today. i dont think he was good against falkirk his passing for the majority of the game was poor and that was the same today. i would rather see aaron getting a start than fleck.

There has been a lot of hype about Fleck over the past few years. Tipped as being one of the brightest players that could come through our ranks in recent times. He played a good game against Falkrik last year. That was it. Started an Old Firm, but, not surprisingly, failed to do anything significant in that game. This season he has started both games. I don't think he played really well against Falkirk, and today against Hearts he had a nightmare first half.

He's 18 today. Still a very young lad. Are we pushing him to hard? I've always believed that if you are good enough, then you're old enough. Big DJ is living proof of that. But is he really good enough at the moment? I think Rangers should start looking at a loan option for him. 18, i think, is a decent age to get loaned out. Get him some regular (hopefully) first team games at a decent club, with the option to recall at any time.

If Rangers were to loan him out, what level do you think he's at? Championship? League one?

yeah we should loan him out and give AARON a player we have IN on loan a chance ,cause he couldnt be much worse...

i was suprised when he started today. i dont think he was good against falkirk his passing for the majority of the game was poor and that was the same today. i would rather see aaron getting a start than fleck.

One pass which he threaded through to Millar was top class.

lol ano as soon as i left the comment i was thinkin about that pass. people think it could be a claim for a penalty? he was sandwhiched inbetween two players (if i remember correctly)

lol ano as soon as i left the comment i was thinkin about that pass. people think it could be a claim for a penalty? he was sandwhiched inbetween two players (if i remember correctly)

Correct. (tu)

I would keep Fleck right where he is, with the squad being as thin as it is, we're going to have to use him this season.

Anybody expecting him to waltz into the team and instantly become a legend is diluded. He is still very young, and he will have good and bad games, that's just the way it is. The only way for him to become more consistent and improve his game is to get regular playing time. I'll leave it to Walter to decide how much playing time he should get- maybe he gets 2 games on 1 game off.

I also find it ridiculous that some are writing him off already; I can't understand why, we all cry out for youth to be played, and when a young guy comes in, we crucify him. It's pathetic.

I really dont want to be too hard on him, but I must be honest and say that I have seen nothing from him at all to suggest he'd even make it at any spl team let alone Rangers?

The young guy Wilshere at Arsenal for example is younger than Fleck or even M'Carthy last season at Hamilton is of similar age and yet they play like seasoned pros. Fleck simply isnt on the same planet as that calibre of player on what he has shown so far. Personally I would send him back to the reserves and give someone else a try.

Fleck is one of the only players in the team who doesn't have to stop and look up before he knows where he's passing. Sure, something it goes wrong, but his overall vision will improve with experience.

That alone is what assures me he has more quality than any failed-potential kid would have.

I dont feel this is a game to judge him on, wasnt at his best but did look lively.

If it wasnt for Thomsons silly red card, i think Fleck would have went onto put in a good performance as said he was lively, its just with the 10 men his defensive side was exposed and it was the right decision to bring on a more defensive minded player in Smith.

I'd much rather have him training here than elsewhere.

He's improving with every game and is good enough cover for the first team.

People also have to remember he IS only 17, he going to be very frustrating and very inconsistant.

I have not been that impressed so far but imo he needs to start playing more mins so that he can become relaxed and confident playing 1st team football. I feel that with Fleck and Aaron the key will be giving them a chance in most games to at least appear from the bench. If they only play every so often they can feel like they are on trial every time they do play and become anxious and try too hard. As i've said in another post as soon as we are 2 goals up in any spl game we should be looking to give young players a chance as we will need them before the season is over and it's important they have sampled competitive 1st team football.

Imo the Ac Milan friendly showed Fleck has a bit of talent, it's up to him what he does with it. If he wants to be a top player he should work hard, turn himself into an athlete and show the coaching staff he is a model pro. If he wants to hang about Karbon acting big time he will end up at best like Charlie Adam or else playing for Clyde.

he is very young.

and being played out of position which doesn't help, get off the guys back

hard enough living life in the fishbowl of expectation.

If your good enough your old enough they say,he's 18 tomorrow,and old enough to bad mouth the boss,so if he's as good as we are led to believe.

It's time to start showing it,up until now he's done dick to excite me,whereas the young spaniard has got the old heart pounding a few times.

Started off well yesterday when the game was 11 v 11. After that he drifted out of the game.

His passing etc looks good but his off the ball work is shocking. It was Fleck who McGeady tore a new asshole in the League Cup Final last season. It was McGeady's only good game against us.

I would keep Fleck right where he is, with the squad being as thin as it is, we're going to have to use him this season.

Anybody expecting him to waltz into the team and instantly become a legend is diluded. He is still very young, and he will have good and bad games, that's just the way it is. The only way for him to become more consistent and improve his game is to get regular playing time. I'll leave it to Walter to decide how much playing time he should get- maybe he gets 2 games on 1 game off.

I also find it ridiculous that some are writing him off already; I can't understand why, we all cry out for youth to be played, and when a young guy comes in, we crucify him. It's pathetic.

definetly mate.

comparing him to Wilshere and McCarthy is a bit unfair aswell, Hamilton arent under the constant pressure to win trophies every season, so it was easy for them to throw McCarthy in and give him start after start, Wilshere is also a fantastic talent with fantastic players around him who are playing in the best league in the world, most of the reserve/bounce matches hes played in will have been of better quality than your standard SPL opposition, its no mystery as to why he's showing signs of a top class player at such a young age because he clearly is destined for big things, just because others his age are that good, doesnt mean Fleck himself has to be, or that he's a dud because he isnt playing to that standard, inconsistancy is to be expected and he still has to adjust to first team football and the SPL in general, it might not be the best league about but its still a step up from playing with the U-19's.

I realise that their hasnt really been any over the top criticism of John on the forum (from what ive seen anyway) but to those who dont rate him thus far, give him time lads, dont be so quick to judge the lad when his professional footballing career has barely gotten underway, dont write him off just yet, I personally dont believe the hype is for nothing, just watching him you can see glimpses of class here and there.