Sky agrees La Liga deal

Muff

Sky Sports has signed a new deal for exclusive live coverage of La Liga for the next three seasons.

The new deal for Spain's top league covers the 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons and Sky Sports will broadcast at least two live matches from each weekend of the season.

The coverage begins this Saturday with champions Real Madrid v Deportivo from 7.00pm on Sky Sports 2, followed by two newly promoted sides; Real Zaragoza v Tenerife, at 9.00pm.

Sunday's live game will be Valencia v Sevilla from 6pm on Sky Sports 2, while Barcelona v Sporting Gijon is available on Bank Holiday Monday from 8pm on Sky Sports 1 (the first half is available via the red button).

Revista de La Liga, Sky Sports' weekly Spanish football magazine show, also returns on Tuesday September 1 at 5.30pm on Sky Sports1.

Announcing the deal, Barney Francis, Sky Sports Managing Director said: "We are delighted to continue our long association with the best in Spanish football - it's now 13 years since Sky Sports viewers first enjoyed the glamour of La Liga.

"With Ronaldo and Kaka joining Real Madrid, the challenge for Barcelona's treble winners will be intense and should provide more compulsive viewing."

Sky Sports Spanish football expert Gerry Armstrong added: "Of course it'll be fascinating to see Ronaldo and Kaka lead the challenge with Real Madrid, but we all saw just how good Barcelona were last season and with Ibrahimovic leading the line they can only get better.

"Also, watch out for Atletico Madrid with 'Kun' Aguero and Diego Forlan, and Villareal, without the pressure of the Champions League, also have some very talented players."

A luxury SPL is La Liga. Only two teams worth of note in all honesty.

Same with most leagues.

Man United and Chelsea are the only two with a real chance of winning the Premiership as well, as much as I'd like Arsenal to be involved.

TBH, it all depends on how a season pans out. Was it 2 seasons ago that Sevilla(?) were in with a chance of winning La Liga with 1 or 2 games to go?

In the past 10 years there have only been 3 different winners of the Premiership, 4 different winners of La Liga and 5 different winners of Serie A.

Just got Sky Sports adding on again, on Virgin .... £19 a month - HEFTY imo!!!!!!!

having the spanish fitba is a bit better. Still think extra charges for ESPN are a rip off.... just hoping virginmedia do a deal to give that free to XL customers like they did with setanta!

A luxury SPL is La Liga. Only two teams worth of note in all honesty.

Same with most leagues.

Man United and Chelsea are the only two with a real chance of winning the Premiership as well, as much as I'd like Arsenal to be involved.

Not really.

I mean in terms of competitve competition. La Liga doesn't come close to the EPL in regards to that. This is why the Premier league is much harder to win than La Liga. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool are always in with a shot. Barcelona and Madrid is a one way street.

Then add on Man City to bring that edge to it. Possibly Villa and the spuds.

I want sky in my room, so much football between Sky and ESPN :(

Suppose i'll just have to make do with the SkyPlayer.

get the sky eye, its links from your sky box to your room. you have to watch what they are watching tho

Just hope your folks don't forget and bang on red-hot creampies.

I want sky in my room, so much football between Sky and ESPN :(

Suppose i'll just have to make do with the SkyPlayer.

get the sky eye, its links from your sky box to your room. you have to watch what they are watching tho

Just hope your folks don't forget and bang on red-hot creampies.

would be rather interesting