Counting chickens

D'Artagnan

I would imagine that as our guardians sat down and worked out our incoming and outgoings for the year ahead, that they did not figure on getting the whole pot of Champions League money.

Now forgive me for counting the chickens before they are hatched...but I really cant see Arsenal losing a 2 goal lead at home.

Therefore rather than having to split the CL money it looks like we will be the sole benefactors.

Will we see that extra dosh being spent on players or even a player ?

I hope so.

We ALL hope so but its very unlikely. Plus i don't think Walter would buy a centre half just because we need one, he likes to take his time and scout one so unless he has 1 already eyed up then i doubt it.

Hopefully we can find the funds to sign a player and one other on loan too.

Obviously a centre half is the priority, but I'd quite like a wide midfielder as well.

However if we are linked with anybody I expect it to be the Eggert Jonsson's, Sone Aluko's, Charlie Mulgrew's and Scott Arfield's of this world.

Versatile. Cheap. Youngish. And from the league that Walter knows better than any.

That's not me being a critic. It's me being realistic.

We ALL hope so but its very unlikely. Plus i don't think Walter would buy a centre half just because we need one, he likes to take his time and scout one so unless he has 1 already eyed up then i doubt it.

To be honest I would rather sign a left sided midfielder who can regularly go past a defender before I bought a CH cam.

Judging from Walter's comments, he's consistently said that this extra CL money won't bail us out of financial trouble. Maybe thats him playing his cards close to his chest, I don't know.

I think we have the players to win the SPL and do a decent job in Europe, but injuries/suspensions do happen so I would feel alot more comfortable if we were to bring in a versatile defender.

Rangers boss Walter Smith has warned fans there is little chance of adding to the squad ahead of the transfer deadline at the end of the month.

And the Ibrox outfit may have to offload one of their high-earning players in order to satisfy the banks," according to the Glasgow Evening Times.

Supporters had hoped Smith would be in the market for a new centre-half should Celtic fail to reach the Champions League - which would give the Light Blues an extra £2.8m in European television revenue.

However, while Smith admits there may be some activity, the news is not too rosy for his squad.

"I don't think that would be enough to change things here," the former Scotland boss said of the possible TV windfall.

"It doesn't look as though there will be any movement in terms of players coming in. That means a run of injuries would worry us, but this is the challenge we have to meet."

I had to poach this from the Sky Sports PDA website.

Maybe it's Walter being a cunning old fox, or maybe it's the stark reality that extra cash makes no difference.

We can but hope, D'art. Everybody is aware of the restrictions currently holding the mangement back in the transfer Market , however we are equally aware of the need to bolster a shallow squad.

I believe that the extra windfall gained from our dearest friends' departure from the CL will be put to good use ; a centre half and/or a left sided mid. I would imagine that Smith will look for a CB as a priority because Weir , medical miracle though he may be , can't defy science indefinitely.

We can but hope, D'art. Everybody is aware of the restrictions currently holding the mangement back in the transfer Market , however we are equally aware of the need to bolster a shallow squad.

I believe that the extra windfall gained from our dearest friends' departure from the CL will be put to good use ; a centre half and/or a left sided mid. I would imagine that Smith will look for a CB as a priority because Weir , medical miracle though he may be , can't defy science indefinitely.

I suppose its a question of how you prioritise BC. If we bought a CB who would you drop ?

If Davie Weir gets injured we need cover - but only IF he gets injured.

We badly need a decent left sided midfielder - no-one within the current squad appears capable of commanding that role.

I think something may just happen as has been said Watty is a cunning fox and will not be wanting to build our hopes up, bear in mind too there will be agents wanting to get players moved on and we may just pick up a bargain. However, before I get carried away and start saying how cool it would be if we did pull something off, I am not expecting it but it would be nice and possibly necessary in terms of title chances and next seasons CL money which will be needed too. Murray knows this so he really should do what is needed and let Walter have some money or leeway to bring a couple of players in. We are imo 2 or 3 players away from having a pretty decent team.

I like Scott Arfield but i cant see him being much better than a Naisy

He's a attacking centre mid, is he not? I would like him at Ibrox as well, but we seem to be stocking up on Centre mids.

Falkirk have played him centrally, aswell as wide right and wide left in a front three.

I'm pretty sure Scotland U21 play him in front of the back four too.

I wasn't trying to link us to him, but it's the sort of name we will go after if any money is made available.

It's a balancing act.

Weir's one cruciate away from the end of his career and a bad injury to Bougherra would almost completely scupper our chances of the league.

Do we spend the small sum of £1m-£3m and make sure we win the league, or do we take a chance and end up having to spend another £10m on the squad next year?

I suppose its a question of how you prioritise BC. If we bought a CB who would you drop ?

We badly need a decent left sided midfielder - no-one within the current squad appears capable of commanding that role.

You're forgetting Boogie is away on African cup of nations duty in january for a couple of weeks at least.....

It's a balancing act.

Weir's one cruciate away from the end of his career and a bad injury to Bougherra would almost completely scupper our chances of the league.

Do we spend the small sum of £1m-£3m and make sure we win the league, or do we take a chance and end up having to spend another £10m on the squad next year?

Weir's a bad hammy away from the end of his career.

Personally , I would be inclined to go for a left mid myself , a player with pace and an ability to supply a killer cross or through pass. A decent wide player would augment a midfield which is already the best in the country and open up more possibilties for our possession and attacking play.

But , I am not Smith and accordingly he will have differing priorities as a manager who has always built from the back. You raise the question of wether we need cover for Weir as it isn't a given that he will get injured - Smith's position might well be that the longer the season goes on , the more likely he is to become injured at some point. If no injuries arose , what about suspensions?

Walt has always erred on the side of caution and he'll be especially cautious about our defence coming unstuck. The necessary ability and experiece to deputise in that position isn't there and so our first buy , if any are coming , will be a CB.k

To be honest I would rather sign a left sided midfielder who can regularly go past a defender before I bought a CH cam.

Your wish may come true in Mr Lovenkrands ;)

its pretty tough actually deciding where we are weakest,we have cover in all 4 defensive positions ,a centre half short maybe ,but walter would play big lee there ,if needed,in mid we have plenty cover/options and up front aint too bad either,,thats the way the powers that be will be looking at it,and given the money situation it looks unlikely we will buy.

It's a balancing act.

Trouble is this is pie in the sky; we do not have the leeway to buy anyone or even to take anyone on loan.We are still trying to offload wages and, if we can get to the end of the window without losing a player from the firat team squad, that will be a bonus.

unfortunately lads everyone has known that the beggars chances of getting into the group stages were slim the minute we won the league

and tbh, an extra 2mill plus isnt gonna turn things around

would love to even see a loan signing though to ease our worries

then again broadfoot coming back just in time for boughie going to the african nations cup will be like a new signing

It's a balancing act.

Trouble is this is pie in the sky; we do not have the leeway to buy anyone or even to take anyone on loan.We are still trying to offload wages and, if we can get to the end of the window without losing a player from the firat team squad, that will be a bonus.

If - after winning the SPL and SC double and gaining entry to the CL and getting all of Celtic's CL TV cash - we're still in the position where we NEED to sell a first team star, it's fucking God awful management.

I don't think we're THAT bad in all honesty.

It's a balancing act.

If - after winning the SPL and SC double and gaining entry to the CL and getting all of Celtic's CL TV cash - we're still in the position where we NEED to sell a first team star, it's fucking God awful management.

We do not benefit from the champions league money and tv share until the end of the season and banks only decide on what they see at present not the old " I'm due a cheque next June,so can I borrow more"

It's a balancing act.

We do not benefit from the champions league money and tv share until the end of the season and banks only decide on what they see at present not the old " I'm due a cheque next June,so can I borrow more"

But surely that promised £3.8m or so coming in next June should offset the need to sell anyone?