Weir & Kyle recalled by Scotland

David Weir and Kevin Kyle have been recalled to the Scotland squad for next month's must-win World Cup qualifiers with Macedonia and Holland.

Number one choice goalkeeper Craig Gordon also returns from injury.

And manager George Burley has already said Weir and Gordon will start against Macedonia on 5 September.

Stephen McManus is included but is yet to play a game for Celtic this season, while Steven Caldwell and Christophe Berra make it despite fitness worries.

Ross McCormack, Barry Robson and Chris Iwelumo are ruled out with injuries, while Kevin Thomson and Garry O'Connor have been overlooked.

With Gary Caldwell suspended for the clash with Macedonia and the injury concerns surrounding his brother Steven, McManus and Berra, Burley has called upon the experience of 39-year-old Weir.The Rangers defender won the last of his 63 caps in the 0-0 draw with Norway at Hampden last October, his only appearance in this World Cup qualifying campaign.

Weir will become the oldest outfield player to represent his country since Jimmy McMenemy in 1920.

The absence of forwards Iwelumo and McCormack has paved the way for Kilmarnock's Kyle to add his considerable height to Burley's attacking options.

The 28-year-old has not featured for his country since 2004 but has discovered a new lease of life at Rugby Park.

The former Sunderland and Coventry striker has scored 10 goals in 14 appearances for the Ayrshire side.

Gordon made his comeback from a four-month spell on the sidelines as Sunderland swept Norwich aside on Monday night, meaning Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield drops out of the 25-man squad.

A crushing 4-0 defeat in Norway earlier this month has left Scotland's hopes of qualifying through the play-offs hanging in the balance.

Anything less than three points against Macedonia would extinguish them altogether.

Burley has won just two of his 10 games in charge of Scotland but shrugged off suggestions he had these two games left to remain at the helm.

"My future doesn't matter, it's about Scotland," he said. "We have two games left in this group. Keep my job? Who knows?

"Every game, I will try my best for my country and do whatever I can to get the right results.

"Managers come and go. This is for my country and I will do my best no matter what.

"I got all the criticism after the Norway game but I will take it on the chin.

"I've been knocked since I took the job.

"A lot of people didn't want me to take it, didn't think I was the right man. Even before a ball was kicked, I was being criticised.

"Nothing will change: my focus is for Scotland, my focus is for trying to qualify for the World Cup and do my best for the country."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scotland squad for the World Cup qualifiers against FYR Macedonia (5 September) and Holland (9 September) at Hampden Park:

Gordon (Sunderland), N Alexander (Rangers), Marshall (Cardiff); Barr (Falkirk), McManus (Celtic), Berra (Wolves), G Caldwell (Celtic), S Caldwell (Burnley), Davidson (Preston), Hutton (Tottenham), McAllister (Bristol City), Whittaker (Rangers), Weir (Rangers); G Alexander (Burnley), Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), D Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Bristol City), McFadden (Birmingham), Maloney (Celtic); Clarkson (Bristol City), S Fletcher (Burnley), Kyle (Kilmarnock), Miller (Rangers), Naismith (Rangers).

Well done Big Davie, aged 39 and still needed. Show these Caldwell cunts how it's done.

Good tho I'd rather have seen Lee Wallace in there for the left back positions.

Also, the token Scotland players I’d rather to not be called up and I'm glad they're not.

SCOTLAND boss George Burley is considering an international call-up for Nottingham Forest keeper Lee Camp.

MailSport can reveal the 24-year-old is eligible because his grandfather was born in Paisley. The SFA were alerted to his availability last week and will now follow it up.

Camp, who joined Forest from QPR this summer, played for Burley at Derby and is highly rated by the national manager who will make a personal check on him this month.

That may well lead to the keeper's inclusion for September's World Cup double header against Macedonia and Holland

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-21584162/

None of us, and not even Boyd himself, could pretend he's a Scot, not that he made even the slightest effort to do so.

George Boyd:

After getting the call-up he said: "Any international recognition is great. I think (playing for) England is a bit far-fetched so this is a great opportunity for me."

Brilliant. England is where his heart lies and let me stress there is nothing at all wrong with that. In fact, that's how it should be, but because he's not nearly good enough for Fabio Capello's team Scotland will do for him. Better than nothing at all, he thinks.

Sad isn't it. And all because our clubs, coaches and authorities have failed miserably to make sure the standard of the average Scottish player is always above ordinary.

http://blogs.<No links to this website>/jimtraynor/...y-leads-to.html

Oh and of course, James Morrison admitted what George Boyd did too in the press...infact I managed to find the quote.

"After having a chat with Alex McLeish I have chosen to play for Scotland," Morrison confirmed.

"I was born in England and I believe I could do a job for them, but it was a question of how long I wanted to wait.

"But I've got the chance to help Scotland now and I'm really looking forward to pulling on the shirt."

http://www.football.co.uk/middlesbrough/mo...nd_250369.shtml

Jay McEveley

""I have to weigh up my options and Scotland is a possibility," he said.

"I'm looking at the full squad and thinking, 'if I'm playing in the Premiership in a couple of years' time and playing well, am I going to get ahead of Ashley Cole or Wayne Bridge?'

"Even if I was to move across to centre-half, England have half a dozen top-quality players for that position, so again I have to look at that and consider the Scotland option.

"The Ipswich manager, Joe Royle, has said that he would be willing to put in a word with the present Scotland manager, Walter Smith."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4313298.stm

""In a recent interview with Rovertime, the club's matchday magazine, Jay confessed: "Being patriotic, I would like to be remembered at the end of my career as someone who captained England in the World Cup finals.

"Everyone who plays football would love to play for their country and being the captain would be a dream."

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,...~341275,00.html

Richard Gough on the same track also.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/scot...86908-21336925/

"""It's not, 'I'm only playing for Scotland because England hasn't picked me' sort of thing - I don't think that's right."
He finishes what he said well there I think.