Our New Chairman

A member posted this in the Sir David Murray Steps Down thread, but I think it will end up getting lost in among the numerous "WTF is going on" posts.

So here is a link to a pretty lengthy piece about our new chairman which featured in the Sunday Herald a few years back

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...11/ai_n9627727/

I thought it was an interesting read, and I'm sure others will too.

Very few bears ever realise their dream of playing for the club, but an even smaller number will ever get the opportunity to run it.

Good luck Mr Johnston.

We Are The People.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is this guy worth? He seems to represent the very elite in world sport. I am sure he will know a good few people with money to burn over in the States.

Also, giving his sports background i'd imagine marketing and PR would be where his expertise lies. Something which is going to be invaluable to us.

How much is this guy worth? He seems to represent the very elite in world sport. I am sure he will know a good few people with money to burn over in the States.

Also, giving his sports background i'd imagine marketing and PR would be where his expertise lies. Something which is going to be invaluable to us.

My thoughts were along these lines too (tu)

Having a guy who's company represents the absolute elite in sport can surely only be seen as a good thing when it comes to potentially remarketing Rangers as a global brand, while his roots to the club can help with maintaing the history and identity of the club at the same time?

Having a guy who's company represents the absolute elite in sport can surely only be seen as a good thing when it comes to potentially remarketing Rangers as a global brand, while his roots to the club can help with maintaing the history and identity of the club at the same time?

Exactly, he's a guy that has the best interest of the club at heart and also exploit our brand to millions of new fans

Exactly, he's a guy that has the best interest of the club at heart and also exploit our brand to millions of new fans

This is exactly the way I'm seeing this appointment, it's looking good (tu)

The absolute best of both worlds, potentially (tu)

who gives a fuck what he looks like as long as he has got the clubs interests at heart and can invest in some rangers class il welcome with open arms

Good article, thanks Dado.

Seems to tick the boxes we look for,

1. Life-long Gers fan
  2. Excellent business experience
  3. Contacts within the sporting world
  4. Potential to tap further into the US Market
  5. Fresh perspective, but with knowledge of the previous regime

The only iffy are that I can see is that this guy has been on the board at Ibrox for five years now, yet we have seen little in the way of marketing oursleves in way that some of his clients do.

Hopefully that can change now that he is the main man, as oppossed to a guy in the background, but I certainly wont be counting my chickens yet.

Interesting times ahead.

Best of luck to him but he is already from within the club surely if he had any input or high fly contacts he would have already been used my David Murray . Cant see any change my worry is he is nothing more than Murays puppet as its still in majority of shares his club , hope im wrong .

Best of luck to him but he is already from within the club surely if he had any input or high fly contacts he would have already been used my David Murray . Cant see any change my worry is he is nothing more than Murays puppet as its still in majority of shares his club , hope im wrong .

Wouldn't get much of a say with Murray in charge IMO.

Hope for the best (tu)

The official website has changed things already:

ALASTAIR JOHNSTON was announced as the new Chairman of Rangers on August 26, 2009 when he took over from Sir David Murray.

Sir David stood down after nearly 21 incredible years at the helm but remains the majority shareholder at the club and was delighted to hand over the reigns to Johnston.

A lifelong supporter, Johnston joined the Board of Rangers Football Club as a Non-Executive Director on Boxing Day 2003 along with Greatest Ever Ranger John Greig.

Alastair has a wealth of experience in the world of sport and sports management having worked with sports marketing and entertaiment giant IMG for over 30 years.

He is vice-chairman of IMG with a major input into their global businesses, conducted by 2,500 employees located in more than 60 offices throughout the world.

IMG have a number of top clients in sport, entertainment and fashion and also run a number of major sporting events.

Johnston, born and brought up in Glasgow, is based in Cleveland, Ohio and is a regular at the Veterans of Former Wars Club in North Olmsted where the North Coast Rangers Supporters Club gets together to watch live matches.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ch...1529214,00.html