Our New Chairman

When does our carling deal run out?

I'm sure this guy will want to advertise IMG on our strips in the future.

im sure this is the last season with it

yep thinking both the sponser and kit manufacturer both run out this year.

Hence why we got an one year extention onto the Umbro deal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only iffy are that I can see is that this guy has been on the board at Ibrox for five years now, yet we have seen little in the way of marketing oursleves in way that some of his clients do.

Hopefully that can change now that he is the main man, as oppossed to a guy in the background, but I certainly wont be counting my chickens yet.

Interesting times ahead.

I was just about to post something along the same lines mate, hes been on the board for the past five years and i cant say ive ever personally heard of him having doing anything of note, so what makes people think its all suddenly kick off now.

just spoke to tea-total who said our new chairman regularly goes into orlando rsc pub to watch the bears

haha thats mad, good to know he is just like one of us then (tu)

at least we now have a rangers supporter as the chairman

long may it continue

just spoke to tea-total who said our new chairman regularly goes into orlando rsc pub to watch the bears

haha thats mad, good to know he is just like one of us then (tu)

at least we now have a rangers supporter as the chairman

long may it continue

yep I agree. Hopefully he will at least try to stick up for the club.

Good luck to the man. Hopefully this is the start of something new, and exciting at Rangers!?

We are moving on the up, and this can only be good.

Exciting times....let's hope so :):rangers:

im not too sure this is going to actually change a lot to be honest...him taking over as chairman doesnt appear to give us any more money as SDM is still the majority owner...the only thing we can hope for I would imagine is that in his new role he takes the decision to spend some of the clubs cash on strengthening the squad...ive not personally been fooled by this "we are skint" nonsense.

Perhaps though as someone else said the new approach will encourage a buy out/investors.

Let's hope some more info comes out soon RE this guys intentions with the club?

EDIT: Also had a look at this article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...11/ai_n9627727/ and it looks like he already introduced some investors so maybe first impressions could be wrong?

Best of luck to him but he is already from within the club surely if he had any input or high fly contacts he would have already been used my David Murray . Cant see any change my worry is he is nothing more than Murays puppet as its still in majority of shares his club , hope im wrong .

Being number 1 is not the same as number 2 the man can bring his own ideas and stamp his own personality on the club without contradiction outwith that his contacts and business sphere are totally different to SDM. Look forward to see Duff beer logo across our strip :clap: Good Luck

Sounds like a major coup if you ask me.

He has the marketing experience, which is invaluable. Although Murray had the pennies, it was his advisor's only advising him what to do, which would be the best way to spend his money.

Even though Murray is technically still the majority shareholder, he is putting his trust in this man to run Rangers and do it his own way.

I don't think we can expect a major change any time soon, but I expect, due to better marketing, and a broader knowledge of current affairs, in the next few years we will see our debt being reduced and our profile rising.

If this man pulls out all the stops and weaves his idea's with the fans' ambitions, we could certainly have many interesting and potentially great years to come under Johnston.

Good luck sir.

By Hugh MacDonald

IT started at Carnoustie. It encompassed a weekend home with Tiger Woods as a neighbour in Isleworth, Orlando. But the drive of Alastair Johnston has found him with the only club he wants in his hands.

Johnston, 61, began his business career with the sort of ambitious move that so marked his later career.

As a steward at The Open in Carnoustie in 1968, he manoeuvred a meeting with Mark McCormack.

advertisement

The young Scot made such an impression that he forged a highly successful career with the International Management Group, a company that led the way in sports management but has branched out in to other areas.

Johnston, who studied accountancy at Strathclyde University, has travelled the world on behalf of IMG and, as director of golf, has been closely involved with the growth of such sporting greats as Woods.

Johnston is not likely to be fazed by the size of the challenge at Rangers where debts have been estimated at £25m to £30m.

The injection of Champions League money, amounting to £12m plus ticket sales and add-ons, will make a huge dent in that this season.

The businessman, too, has experience of working with major brands and sponsors and will be keen to increase the merchandising sector of the company.

More intriguingly, John-ston has vast knowledge of negotiating media rights. Rangers and Celtic feel badly let down by the rest of the Scottish Premier League over the doomed deal with Setanta.

They also know that their income from TV is a pittance in comparison with Barclays Premier League clubs.

The television riches bestowed on clubs in England is the big difference in income between the Old Firm and the mass of English Premier League clubs.

Johnston, of course, is no maverick. As David Murray, the club's major shareholder, said: "I will continue to have people on the board who will represent my interests."

Johnston is hardly going to forge a path that is in direct opposition to the man who brought him on board.

He does, however, bring different skills to the role as chairman. Five years ago, Johnston admitted that the days of spend, spend, spend were over for Rangers.

The business model for the club has had to be re-assembled and this has caused pain over recent years. Rangers cannot match the wages offered by English Premier League clubs yet they have to sustain a challenge in Europe.

participation in the Champions League is the key to financial success for Rangers and Celtic. Next season the champions and runners-up in the SPL may have to qualify for the lucrative group stages.

Johnston must perform a neat trick.

He must increase Rangers' income, keep a lid on expenses and deliver Champions League football. It's a long way from Carnoustie, but the game's a bogey if he fails in one of these three areas.

He is, however, ready for the task. Johnston said: "I can say to our supporters that the board, management and staff will spare no effort in striving to ensure that Rangers enjoys a successful future."

Publication date 27/08/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2527780.0.0.php

Surely it wont be long before we are signed up by IMG then?

I was reading that when he was IMG head of Golf, he got Tiger Woods his $60Million sponsorship deal from nike... and he said "Do you want to know how I got so much? I asked for it"

Im trying not to hype the guy up so much as we dont really know what to expect from him but I think this could be the beginning of something special

When does our carling deal run out?

I'm sure this guy will want to advertise IMG on our strips in the future.

Why would he do that when instead, with all his marketing experience he could go out and get us alot more money with another sponsor?