The Murray Debate.

Creampuff

316 members have voted

1. 1. Was SDM a Good Chairman of Rangers?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did a lot of stuff well, and some not so well. It's not black and white, and unfortunately the poll doesn't give a sit of the fence option, so I'll abstain.

I'm happy to accept the pluses and the minuses, something a lot of people seem unable to do, on both sides of the argument.

every time i came on here...murray was getting slagged tae hell.

but the poll shows otherwise.

just shows you how the angry loud minority can sound like the majority.

hmmmmm dont believe anything you hear on the net.

<cr>

He did a lot of stuff well, and some not so well. It's not black and white, and unfortunately the poll doesn't give a sit of the fence option, so I'll abstain.

I'm happy to accept the pluses and the minuses, something a lot of people seem unable to do, on both sides of the argument.

Pretty much my feelings too. Unfortunately with David Murray opinions become entrenched. Depending on who you speak to, he's either the anti-christ or the second coming. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

In the future when the dust has settled and he's long since gone, I think history will be kind to him, but at the moment it's impossible to ignore the financial mess he's leaving.

Any chance of bumping this thread in ten years. :D

Showed a lot of ambition but we have paid the price for it. Ultimately, I think he will be remembered fondly by most of the fans (me included) but there is no doubt we have been mis-managed financially. We had to gamble to win the SPL title and even though we have qualified for the Champions League, we are still paying the price for it.

Thanks for the 20 years Sir David Murray but the time was right for a new chairman.

Don't mind what we're going through now and have been going through. I'm not going to judge SDM on that but just think this man gave us 9 in a row. Without him there wouldn't have been one. No man in his right mind would have put that much money into a football club without getting much back in return money wise. Thanks Sir David Murray for all you have done for our club and good luck for the future.

Don't mind what we're going through now and have been going through. I'm not going to judge SDM on that but just think this man gave us 9 in a row. Without him there wouldn't have been one. No man in his right mind would have put that much money into a football club without getting much back in return money wise. Thanks Sir David Murray for all you have done for our club and good luck for the future.

You forgot to mention all the other investors who put good money in to the club.

You forgot to mention all the other investors who put good money in to the club.

Sorry yes i did but the majority of the money invested was his. I didn't say he single handedly did it there was many benefactors in 9 in a row but the man behind it all as him.

Said yes. Had good days and bad days but as has been said already, 14 titles isnae too bad. Just wish he'd stood up for The Rangers as a club and for the supporters a bit more.

I'd go with the opinion of the 1st ten years being excellent, and the 2nd ten years being pretty rough to be honest! i think the guy always had RFC's best interests at heart though!

Even though alot of the investment for the financing of new players never came from Murray himself, I imagine he would have had to use his knowledge of the business world to try and acheive the financing to take us onto a new level, both comercially and on the park!

Who can blame the guy for that? I mean the Ibrox redevelopment, Murray Park and the financing of the Souness/Smith/Advocaat era's...the guy was maybe foolish in how he went about it but to be fair, but I truly believe it was done with the best of intentions for RFC.

Il remember his time as a success, but I can obviously see how it could be viewed otherwise due to the recent troubles.

Yes, has made some mistakes but 14 titles out of 20 years is a fantastic achievement.

But he pure dun away wi oor traditions an aw that, disnae like the FTP brigade either FFS, theres some hings mare important by ra way! :sherlock:

There are very few if any Rangers fans that will argue that Murray's first decade was nothing but a success.

However, the financial mistakes and mismanagement made during the Advocaat era, and the subsequent running of the club in the period since, has been nothing short of a disaster.

So from me he gets a massive thumbs up until the summer of 2000, and a massive thumbs down for the period since.

Dont get me wrong, he made mistakes during the first period, and he got some things right in the second period, but generally, you have to split his chairmanship into two to get a proper perspective on it.

If he had left after Advocaat's second season in the summer of 2000, he would probably have a shout at being our greatest ever chairman. Unfortunately, in the 9 seasons since he is probably our worst ever chairman. Financial meltdown twice in 9 years is mismanagement of a scale never before seen in our history, and we have been through World Wars, recessions, depressions, complete stadium rebuildings, and moving our home, but never have we been so badly run financially than we have this last nine years.

So thank you for your first decade, Mr Former Chairman, and I hope for your sake in many decades to come it is that time that is more prominent in fans memory than the last decade of your ownership.

I didn't vote on this one due to being 100% in agreement with this point of view.

His first 10-years gets a massive "yes" - his last 10-years gets an equally massive "no".

Sorry yes i did but the majority of the money invested was his. I didn't say he single handedly did it there was many benefactors in 9 in a row but the man behind it all as him.

(Yet again) Murray didn't put a penny into the club during NIAR.

(Yet again) Murray didn't put a penny into the club during NIAR.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell them Dell, it is just not going to be believed :rolleyes:

financial mismanagement to get us nine in a row

financial mismanagement to win league last year

financial mismanagement to get to uefa cup final

financial mismanagement to let us watch the talents

of gazza laudrup mickialachenko(sorry about the spelling)

r de boer numan bronckhurst arteta mols stevens albertz klos

wilkins adverladze to name but a few (and prob missed some legends)

and f@ck even tori andre flo he wasnt worth the money but a great player

all the same look at his stats (easy target for the t**g media just because of his transfer fee)

financial mismanagement to get us nine in a row

financial mismanagement to win league last year

financial mismanagement to get to uefa cup final

financial mismanagement to let us watch the talents

of gazza laudrup mickialachenko(sorry about the spelling)

r de boer numan bronckhurst arteta mols stevens albertz klos

wilkins adverladze to name but a few (and prob missed some legends)

and f@ck even tori andre flo he wasnt worth the money but a great player

all the same look at his stats (easy target for the t**g media just because of his transfer fee)

There's plenty to gve him credit for. There's just no need to make up things by claiming it was his cash that gave us NIAR. ;)