Sir David Murray races to find new Rangers owner after announcing departure from

fleck21

Rangers could be under new ownership within weeks, it was revealed last night, when David Murray announced his 20-year reign as Ibrox Godfather was finally over.

It is no secret that Murray is willing to sell his majority shareholding and the events of late yesterday afternoon may now speed the process of change at the top for Rangers.

His decision to step down and hand over control to US-based Alastair Johnston, who will become chairman, was made to the Stock Exchange around 4pm and signalled the end of two decades of always colourful and sometimes controversial leadership of one of Europe's biggest clubs. Various names have been linked with possible Ibrox takeovers.

But so far no one has come forward with the kind of money that would interest either Murray or the club's bankers who are desperate to have the club's debt wiped from their ledgers.

However, with Murray stepping away from the front line one or twowhohave been watching and waiting couldn ow be encouraged to break cover.

There have been rumours over the last few years that wealthy West of Scotland businessmen were joining forces to buy out Murray but as yet no consortium has made a serious play.

Also, some believe a non executive Ibrox direct, a Scot who lives in South Africa, could be interested in investing further - he put in £20m nine years ago - and he could now be tempted.

King could certainly afford it but Murray himself has had enough after 20 years firing and dodging bullets in equal measure.

There is no doubt he would like to unburden himself of his interest although he stressed last night he will always remain a supporter of the club he has led on a rollercoaster adventure.

Murray said: "This is one of the greatest clubs in the world and I am immensely proud to have been involved with it.

"It has been a long, long journey but one I have enjoyed although I must say it is time to get out.

"It hasn't been easy but I can leave knowing I always didmy best for Rangers. Nothing is forever and it is time to go but my wish for Rangers is that they continue to build and go from strength to strength.

"Alastair will bring a new dimension, a new perspective to the club.

"He is a good and very experienced man with more of a global view on sport because of his work with IMG.

"I fear I have neglected other commitments and personal interests for too long because running a club as big as Rangers demands a great deal.

"It is intense, the phones never stop ringing and what I want now is to be able to get through a hard-working week and be able to sit back and enjoy the weekend.

"Twenty years is long enough and perhaps I should have done this sooner, but the decision to step away mightnowfreshen up debate and interest about someone else buyingmy shareholding .

"I haven't been dishonest with the fans. I've said I would sell and it remains true any offers will be looked at very closely.

"But I must salute Rangers fans. They have been largely supportive and understanding throughout and I thank them for that.

"It has been a long and at times bumpy road and the time is right to step down with Rangers champions of Scotland again and about to play in the Champions League .

"Overall I'd say we've done pretty well and all of us, fans and directors as well as the players whohave been part of the last 20 years, can rightly be proud of what's been achieved.

"But my decision has been made and right now my emotions are mixed. I am both sad and happy, but it is time for change."

intersesting article http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21627312/

Also, some believe a non executive Ibrox direct, a Scot who lives in South Africa, could be interested in investing further - he put in £20m nine years ago - and he could now be tempted.

King could certainly afford it but Murray himself has had enough after 20 years firing and dodging bullets in equal measure.

I doubt that very much, given King's ongoing tax problems with the South African authorities.

Given statements like that it throws doubt on the whole article. Seems like it's all just made up.

I doubt that very much, given King's ongoing tax problems with the South African authorities.

Given statements like that it throws doubt on the whole article. Seems like it's all just made up.

Unsubstantiated bollox.

If a journalist has to resort to this kind of writing, his editor should scrap his article and show the clown the door.

This is why I haven't bought a red-top in 4 years.