These Untapped Overseas Markets

clubdeckcynic

With our new chairman, and his US business connections, there has been the usual chat about exploiting overseas markets from our fans. Reading an article in the Herald this morning where Darryl Broadfoot claims:

Celtic have been significantly more resourceful than Rangers in exploiting untapped markets in the Far East, Eastern Europe and the US

Personally I have always thought this notion of making a ton of money from overseas to be spin and nonsense on the part of the press, which is lapped up by supporters and taken as fact. Sure there are pockets of overseas expats who will buy strips, and form supporters clubs, but to imagine that we can sell tens or even hundreds of thousands of strips is a nonsense - particularly in the far east (if you've been there, which I have - even the premiership clubs, who have a much better exposure than us - most of the strips you see are fakes, which equals zero money for the clubs).

The only way I can ever see us making money from these markets is if there was a televised 'world series' of football, until then it's just an unrealistic pipe dream.

I think there's money to be made, look at the bheasts who are now linked with a South Korean because the signing will pay for itself. Whilst I think the figures made by the bheasts through the Nakaatemydog signing are exaggerated I reckon that signing again paid for itself.

When you negotiate with sponsors for advertising etc and can point to exposure in the Far East, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Italy etc etc then its gives an extra bargaining chip.

I don't think it's co-incidence that the Bheasts go after certain players

I think there's money to be made, look at the bheasts who are now linked with a South Korean because the signing will pay for itself. Whilst I think the figures made by the bheasts through the Nakaatemydog signing are exaggerated I reckon that signing again paid for itself.

When you negotiate with sponsors for advertising etc and can point to exposure in the Far East, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Italy etc etc then its gives an extra bargaining chip.

So you really think that the outlay for the Japanese was completely paid for by moneys taken in off the back of his signing, from Japan. So we are talking about somewhere in the region of £5-6million (transfer fees and wages) over the period he was in Scotland? I really think that is highly unlikely to be honest, but if someone can produce the facts and figures to back this up, then I might conceed it is possible....

saw that on SSN. Who is the player?

So you really think that the outlay for the Japanese was completely paid for by moneys taken in off the back of his signing, from Japan. So we are talking about somewhere in the region of £5-6million (transfer fees and wages) over the period he was in Scotland? I really think that is highly unlikely to be honest, but if someone can produce the facts and figures to back this up, then I might conceed it is possible....

The bheasts exploited his signing as much as possible, they also had I believe a % of his image rights. Companies flew to Scotland to make commercials with him at 5 a side parks in Glasgow. Whether we like it or not he got them a lot of exposure in the far east with bheasts games being shown, TV companies here pay over a £100,000 for one off games involving lower league sides and free advertising, plus any merchandising.

How much do you think companies would pay for that amount of exposure in the Far East?

So the "cynic" part of your name is for good reason, then? :D

I know what you mean, it would be great to see facts and figures. Is Ronaldo's transfer fee not meant to "pay for itself?" That seems ridiculous to me. Beckhams transfer to Real was also meant to pay for itself, iirc. I just can't get my head around that at all. A smaller transfer fee/wage package I can more readily understand. You have to take into account exposure in these markets, which although you can't measure in cold, hard cash, will have an impact on future earning potential.

I'm pretty disappointed in the way Rangers have failed to capitalise much (if at all) on their US players, in particular. We had Reyna, who was a superb player. We now have DMB and Edu, both of whom are seen in the USA as 'success stories,' if you like. We could be capitalising on that, surely a decent marketing push would result in far greater exposure, which leads to more shirt sales. This will inevitably lead to a higher profile, which will lead to more merchandise sales, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, Celtc are way ahead of us at this game.

Edit: To end on a positive note, I have high hopes that our new chairman will bring this sort of thing to the table. He has vast experience in this area, and hopefully will use that experience to good effect.

Por Kem Yung :pipe:

Por Kem Yung :pipe:

:lol:

Correct...all spin. Did you know that in Man Uniteds last set of accounts only 0.26% of their turnover came outwith the UK! and thats for a team who have the exposure of the EPL. I have a relative who travelled monthly to Japan with business during the Nakamore era at the San Giro and in all the time he was over there he saw 3 Sellik jerseys and there was NO enthusiasm towards Sellik in the mainsteam population. Our return in North America is also decreasing which will continue with each passing generation.

Correct...all spin. Did you know that in Man Uniteds last set of accounts only 0.26% of their turnover came outwith the UK! and thats for a team who have the exposure of the EPL. I have a relative who travelled monthly to Japan with business during the Nakamore era at the San Giro and in all the time he was over there he saw 3 Sellik jerseys and there was NO enthusiasm towards Sellik in the mainsteam population. Our return in North America is also decreasing which will continue with each passing generation.

That's what I thought to be honest, why do the media insist on propogating such a distorted analysis, it makes no sense, it's like hearing something in a pub and passing it on as truth (says more for the discredited printed press in Scotland than anything else), but more importantly why do the majority of fans beleive it, and use it as a stick to hit the club with?

Our efforts should really be aimed at increasing our profile and our profits in our own country. In terms of maximising income - the old entry to the EPL chestnut would certainly help, as it would be realistic to get new Rangers supporters from England and Wales - just look at the number of Man U fans from outwith Manchester.

On income I did notice while watching the Man City came on a "sausage" that there were 4 "sausages" each shared with 5000 - IF we could find some way of getting a few quid and selling the rights on the internet - and prevent any "sausages" there has to be a decent income stream there!

To be honest.. there's almost zero market in North America for the OF. It all boils down to lack of immigration from the UK. Massive in the 60's.. non existent today. So basically the ex-pats are just well, dying off to be blunt. Another 10 years and it will be practically gone.

So.. NA isn't a viable market. That leaves the Far East -- and OZ might be better than NA, but not much. The only solution is entry to the Premier League one day. Nothing else will make much of a difference.

Reality.

To be honest.. there's almost zero market in North America for the OF. It all boils down to lack of immigration from the UK. Massive in the 60's.. non existent today. So basically the ex-pats are just well, dying off to be blunt. Another 10 years and it will be practically gone.

So.. NA isn't a viable market. That leaves the Far East -- and OZ might be better than NA, but not much. The only solution is entry to the Premier League one day. Nothing else will make much of a difference.

Reality.

Far East are fanatical about their super stars, no other continent reacts to a successful home grown superstar the way they do. That's where the money is.

Yup.. and the Far East love the Premier League. That's where we should go. But... never happen.

So.. the SPL and poverty!

Ah.. but wait till we win the CL this year. Pedro with a screamer in extra time v Barca!

There's definitely money to be made in the Far-East. You may only see one or two jerseys but they probably don't wear them all the time. I've seen a number of Nakamura jerseys here in Australia on Japanese immigrants. They do treat these players like absolute superstars.

Reality.

I'm a bit confused...

There is no market in North America because of the lack of immigration. Presumably then, there is a market in the Far East because of the huge ex-pat community out there?

Reality.

I'm a bit confused...

There is no market in North America because of the lack of immigration. Presumably then, there is a market in the Far East because of the huge ex-pat community out there?

:crab: ouch!

i visited japan in 2007.

in the busier parts of tokyo, you couldnt walk more than 20 minutes without seeing a huge billboard with nakamura on it. more often than not, he was in a celtic strip. in the airport, the customs guy read my passport, and asked me "celtic or rangers?". when i replied rangers, he only wanted to talk about nakamura.

these types of deals might be good for aslong as a player is at a particular team, maybe even enough to pay for the player, but these types of fans dont stick. still if the player is good enough then it would make sense to try these kind of deals.

Someone fancy explaining how Celtic have better exploited the US market?

They've been there a couple of times for pre-season trips I think. My uncle unofrtunately is a tim and he went on one to Vegas with them.

Think the plastic paddies outnumber us in the states as well.

Reality.

I'm a bit confused...

I also caught a piece all week on GMTV before work, covering the greater influx of Brits to the US lately...

for example, if we sold our strips in the US, say half a million US soccer fans are prepared to buy a $50 top with Beasley or Edu on the back of it, that's a lot of money to be made !

i've saw guys like Freddie Roach, the boxing trainer, in the US at press conferences wearing a Celtic top (i know he's of Irish decent but the beggars are still getting exposure in the US in a different sport).

Asia will be a hard market to tackle because of counterfeits, but a lot of work i'm aware has gone into eradicating this, so now may be the time to explore putting the brand out there now.

Reality.

I'm a bit confused...

I also caught a piece all week on GMTV before work, covering the greater influx of Brits to the US lately...

Don't know about the US but I'd expect a greater influx of Brits to Australia at the moment because the economic crisis has hit the UK a lot harder than here. There's certainly a number of ex-pats here anyway, the fact that a 50,000 seater stadium was filled with Scots at the rugby World Cup in 2003 is testimony to that.