Boyd ignores speculation

GOAL hero Kris Boyd insists he is putting all transfer speculation to the back of his mind after helping Rangers maintain their winning start to the SPL campaign.

Reports today suggest that Turkish side Trabzonspor are ready to make an offer with the transfer window closing tomorrow evening.

Boyd, who scored twice in Saturday's 4-1 win over Hamilton, said: "There has been a bit of speculation but I don't pay any attention to it.

"The thing for me was to get myself back in the team and back on the scoresheet. That's what I've done.

"Whatever happens, happens. I'll just keep my head down and take things from there.

"I'm not bothered about the contract situation because the most important thing was to get back in the team and back among the goals.

"There's not much else I can do after that."

Boyd's double takes him back to the top of the Ibrox scoring charts which is his normal position.

He said: "I'm happy to shut Lee McCulloch up. I'm fed-up listening to him banging on about being the top scorer.

"Seriously, it was good to get off the mark last week then get another two goals against Hamilton. I wanted to get back on the scoresheet but the most important thing was to get all three points. I know people were looking at me because I'd gone through pre-season without scoring. But I never doubted myself.

"When you play at a club like Rangers you cannot fail. There are so many chances created and as long as you keep finding the space and keep getting in the box the chances will come."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1783135,00.html

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ra...tract-1.825412#

WITH Walter Smith, often what he doesn’t say is more powerful than what he does.

The Rangers manager has an unsettling habit of going quiet and then staring intently at his interviewer who, more often than not, find him or herself reduced to stammering, stuttering wrecks.

It is not something he does through sheer malevolence, however. The stare may be there to remind others not to follow a similar line of questioning but the silence also usually speaks volumes. It generally means that it is a subject that he won’t openly talk about but that the questioner can deduce his thoughts on the subject without the need for Smith to articulate further.

Of late, it has been a tactic used to bat away questions about whether Rangers will be signing anyone this summer or whether there will be new contracts dished out to those approaching the 
end of their deals.

It was the latter that got the stare and silence treatment on Saturday, the question surrounding whether Kris Boyd, who had just scored twice in the 4-1 defeat of Hamilton Academical, would soon be the recipient of an extended contract given his current one expires at the end of the season.

“I think you’ll notice 
that nobody’s contract has been looked at,” Smith said. “So he’ll not be different to anybody else.”

Will there be a date when that might be looked at? The stare returned followed by 
a terse “no”. End of story.

The player himself was not for giving much away either, presumably with the knowledge that if Rangers feel they need to sell him, either in what remains of this transfer window or in the next, then he will probably have little say in the matter.

The striker dug his heels in back in January when a move to Birmingham City looked a racing certainty but may not have that luxury this time around given the state of Rangers’ financial affairs.

Looking uncomfortable, Boyd answered questions about his future in a non-committal manner.

“The thing for me was 
to get myself on the park, score goals and get three points for the team,” he said, neatly side-stepping the issue. “Whatever happens, happens. I’ll just get my head down and we’ll take it from there. There’s not much else I can do from there.”

Boyd was more 
expansive when asked 
about his favourite topic: pillaging goals left, right 
and centre for Rangers. 
His double took him to joint first place in the league’s 
top-scorers list, alongside 
St Mirren’s Stephen McGinn and Danny Cadamarteri of Dundee United, and more importantly above team-mate Lee McCulloch.

“I’m happy to have shut Lee up for a wee while,” he added. “I was fed up listening to him talking about being top goalscorer.

“When you’re at club 
like this, with the amount 
of chances created for you, you can’t fail to score if you keep getting into positions 
in the box. If I can get anywhere near last year’s 
tally [31 in all competitions] I’ll be happy.”

Hamilton rarely looked like causing an upset and seemed a beaten side as soon as Steven Whittaker put Rangers in front. They have lost all three matches this season but Billy Reid, their manager, still saw signs of recovery at Ibrox.

“That wasn’t too bad,” he insisted. “It was actually an improvement although you might find that hard to believe.”

n Rangers have confirmed Aaron Niguez has left to sign for Celta Vigo.