Saints and Sinners

D'Artagnan

I listened to Traynor's Press Talk on BBC Radio Scotland earlier this evening. He hosted fellow hacks, Michael Grant and Tom English. There was concensus that Plastic had dived, but Dublin born'n'bred and Scotland on Sunday Chief Sports Writer, Tom English could not share his fellow journos' belief that McGeady had cheated. Strangely, he then launched into a categorisation of cheating. Four levels, Kyle Lafferty at the very top, then Rivaldo, next Eduardo, and finally Plastic McGeady. Further, he would NOT have cautioned Plastic had he been the referee, he would have had a word with him.

I suppose what I am attempting to highlight, is the clear exercise in search for comfort being perpetrated by the Yahoo media. It's a warped rationale.

Cheating is cheating at the end of the day, but there are different levels. I would put Rivaldo and Lafferty in the same bracket. The only difference between Eduardos and Greetin face is one was in the box, the other wasn't. And because he won a spot kick, that's where this rule comes into play. If the Ref had seen it, he would have been booked.

I listened to Traynor's Press Talk on BBC Radio Scotland earlier this evening. He hosted fellow hacks, Michael Grant and Tom English. There was concensus that Plastic had dived, but Dublin born'n'bred and Scotland on Sunday Chief Sports Writer, Tom English could not share his fellow journos' belief that McGeady had cheated. Strangely, he then launched into a categorisation of cheating. Four levels, Kyle Lafferty at the very top, then Rivaldo, next Eduardo, and finally Plastic McGeady. Further, he would NOT have cautioned Plastic had he been the referee, he would have had a word with him.

I suppose what I am attempting to highlight, is the clear exercise in search for comfort being perpetrated by the Yahoo media. It's a warped rationale.

Unbelievable.....and some wonder why some of us have real issues with elements of the press..

I heard that too, my thoughts were "...dirty, selective, blinkered, mhanky bastard..." How can that bastard be a Chief Sportswriter of anything.

Cheating is cheating at the end of the day, but there are different levels. I would put Rivaldo and Lafferty in the same bracket. The only difference between Eduardos and Greetin face is one was in the box, the other wasn't. And because he won a spot kick, that's where this rule comes into play. If the Ref had seen it, he would have been booked.

My concern with all this Diet is that it appears that if the ref is incompetent and the incident goes to a review panel then the punishment seems to be more severe.

Here is smith answering nearly every question you have asked.....i have no real problems with him after listening to this, as long as he continues to apply these rules as they are explained in this video.....

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_ne...amp;newsID=4965

Had a look at it GLC.

My concern would be it seems that if the refs catches it during the match and the player is dealt with at the time - he misses part of a match.

If the SFA have to deal with it because the ref has missed it the punishment appears to be more severe.

Furthermore by excusing McGeady of being "tired" rather than dealing with the players cheating are Celtic Football Club undermining the referee ?

I didn't say the rules were fair D'art i said they seem to have been applied fairly in this case. My other concern was if the ref didn't catch it during the match then Mcgeady's dive would not have seen a discipline panel anyway as it wasn't one of the three situations described.

Celtic football club haven't told the truth about anything since 1888........

Well, if the Ref sees it, the offending player and his team have not gained any advantage. Where as, if he misses it and they gain one of the 3 game changers, it is deemed more serious. I think it's fair.