Confused

papaguy51

I don't think the wages in French football are all that high. JCD said the wages from us set him up for life and that he could take a big drop in wages to return to France last year. Prso gave a similar quote about how his three seasons here meant he could live comfortably no matter what transpired in the future. I know both these players came to us without transfer fees so wages might have been more than had a fee been involved, but did Sebo not take a drop in wages to go to Valenciennes?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.

I'm not basing my assumption that we're skint on anything the media has said, first and foremost. I'm looking at what Bain, Smith and now Durranty have spoke about, in terms of finances not allowing players to come in and contracts dependent on Champions League performance. That's not exactly healthy.

If they're in there saying: "Let's tell Keevins and Guidi that we're skint for a laugh", then I'm all for that.

If not, I'm still confused :(

So we've been working our arses off to get rid of 12 players this summer.

It looks like we're trying to get Boyd out the door.

We're told - on at least one occasion - that we can't afford to bring anyone in.

Now we go and sign a 31 year old, 26 times capped French winger from PSG who by all means will be on about £30,000k per week at PSG. What on Earth is going on?

I'm absolutely over the moon about this, but how are we affording this? Are we not as skint as we made out, were we playing coy? Or has the new chairman done a deal himself?

Is Rothen on a Frank De Boer style contract? So many questions needing answered, but at least things are looking up.

I imagine this is the same as Prso - a player who is joining us for a particular reason, and not because he's attracted by wages and the quality of the league.

Prso loved Ibrox, and when he was a free agent we snapped him up on a pre-contract because he simply liked us.

Rothen's reasons are different - after the move to Schalke broke down, he had basically 12 hours to find a new club - and PSG, for reasons I don't know, touted him to us and I imagine he'd have taken a cut in wages simply to escape PSG.

My one single concern about this deal is he's been used to French football all his career, at the top level of it. He's been forced to Rangers in a way Prso wasn't, but one other notable French player was also 'forced' to us and was a failure who didn't want to be here - Guivarch. It concerns me that Rothen won't be a happy bunny having been cornered into trading Ligue 1 for the SPL rather than the decent Bundesliga.

Yeah, he's never actually played outside of France.

He is a good player, no doubt about it, but I have genuine concerns about his motivation. I hope he tears up the SPL a new one and does well in the CL and proves my fears unfounded.

Why did the deal with Schalke fall through ?I'm just hoping he's not gony be one of those huffy french players, then again is there any other type ?

Missed the deadline which was last night in Europe.

I believe that most of the media scrutiny about our finances is just a ploy, if Rangers were as skint as its made out then Boughie, Davis, Mendes and the rest would have all been sold, the management would be dropped etc. The fact is we're in dire times but its probably not as bad as theyve made out, do you think if Rangers was on the verge of going into administration that nothing would be done about it. Hopefully this guy signs and gets the job done, all this waiting for word if he's signed or not is brain frying.

We're told - on at least one occasion - that we can't afford to bring anyone in.

Now we go and sign a 31 year old, 26 times capped French winger from PSG who by all means will be on about £30,000k per week at PSG. What on Earth is going on?

I'm absolutely over the moon about this, but how are we affording this? Are we not as skint as we made out, were we playing coy? Or has the new chairman done a deal himself?

Is Rothen on a Frank De Boer style contract? So many questions needing answered, but at least things are looking up.

I think THAT is almost certainly a fact. Overplayed by the mhedia, and, people believe it. We were never going to spend anything with murray leaving, and, since this was in the process for some time, its not surprising at all.

It does make for good drama though

was making a point about this yesterday and got shot down, we arent near what we are said to be in terms of money

I don't think this is a complex situation at all. Far from it. PSG had an unhappy player on their hands and running out of time to offload him. They have offered him to Rangers, a team they have recently played against, in the hope that a deal can be struck to take him on a temporary basis until the next transfer window.

Rangers have seen the opportunity, realised that PSG want to get rid of the player and in all probability have fashioned a deal whereby PSG are paying a percentage of his wages. I would doubt that we are paying any more than £15'000 of his wages.

I don't think the club intended to sign anyone, we were all prepared to go with the current squad. But a very lucrative opportunity has presented itself and hopefully the club will be justified in taking it.

I think the difference is listening to what the club says about finance, instead of believing what you read. At no time have I seen any quote saying we cant afford to bring anyone in - I have seen quotes on 'unlikely' to bring anyone in, 'reduce the wage bill' before we bring anyone in etc tec. BUT the club have told us as far back as last December that we would have to work withing a more 'contrained' operating budget and that we would trim the squad.

Take the rumour that the banks are running the club: Bollocks - the bank may or may not have set a financial constraint on the business - size of overdraft, term etc. but how that is implemented is down to the management - if the bank runs the club thats administration and publically needs declaring (its a legal position) - so any rumour about banks calling shots on wages, contracts etc. just dont happen in Business - IF there is a constraint by the bank its up to the management how they work within those constraints.

Boyds situation is also simple to explain - the club have said time and again that they will look at any offer for ANY player if it was a decent one - Birmingham met that level in January but Boyd stayed cause he HAD a contract that Rangers are legally bound to honour and he didn't want to go - they cant force a player out (exert pressure - yep - but nothing legal can be done(Look at Balde at Celtic)) and it is obvious that as yet no one else has met the clubs valuation or we would have heard - same as the Birmingham deal. If someone offered £6M for Davis - in the next hour - I bet the club would seriously consider it and may even take it - thats just a financial reality of where we are - and the club has told us that.

To paraphrase Churchill (I Think) 'News of our death is premature"

used to be a cracking footballer, as far as i'm aware he never showed his form with PSG.

i thought Beasley was a steal when we got him, but he's never replicated his PSV Eindhoven form, so it will be interesting to see if Rothen can find his "Monaco magic" that turned him into one of the star players in europe at that time.

i'm also puzzled by the financial situation, we're told it is unlikely anyone will come in, then we get a loan signing in. I hope there is room for another because a centre back is really needed to safe guard an injury.

Why did the deal with Schalke fall through ?I'm just hoping he's not gony be one of those huffy french players, then again is there any other type ?

Missed the deadline which was last night in Europe.

There was a link last night someone put up that said because a deal to move a player away from schalke fell through at the last minute they had to drop their interest in him as they could only buy if somebody left.