Coisty fires warning to cheat Kyle

ShaneRalfRoss

Coisty fires warning to cheat Kyle

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: Today

rigTeaserImage

EDUARDO has been branded a cheat and charged by UEFA.

Aiden McGeady has been sent-off amid fresh diving controversy.

The reputations of two of Europe's top talents have been tarnished in simulation storms.

But Rangers No. 2 Ally McCoist feels neither of them has suffered as much as shamed Ibrox ace Kyle Lafferty.

The Northern Ireland striker is still waiting to make his first team return after landing an SFA ban after hitting the turf to get Aberdeen defender Charlie Mulgrew sent off last May.

Shame

And Coisty believes the Gers striker has learned a harsh lesson from his diving shame.

He said: "Kyle has certainly paid a price for what he did.

"He was daft for what he did and you would hope he has learned his lesson.

"I have said before there is no disgrace in making a mistake - but making the same mistake twice is when you start getting real problems.

"You have to learn from your mistakes and sometimes you just have to sit and watch from the stand while you learn them."

Lafferty landed a two-match ban after SFA chiefs reviewed video evidence of his clash with Mulgrew.

The points penalty also pushed the 21-year-old through the disciplinary threshold and ensured he missed a third game.

The former Burnley star has been idle as Gers started the SPL title defence with wins over Falkirk, Hearts and Hamilton.

And his first-team return will now be further delayed by the international break.

McCoist added: "It's been a heck of a price to pay for big Kyle.

"He's going away this week to play World Cup qualifiers for Northern Ireland against Poland and Slovenia.

"It's amazing to think these games could be his first since the Scottish Cup Final in May.

"And it's amazing to think that it would be September 12 before he plays his first game of the season for Rangers."

Despite the stigma of his diving ban, McCoist reckons Lafferty will have a big season for Gers.

He ended his maiden campaign with league and Scottish Cup winner's medals.

He scored in the last-day win at Tannadice which sealed Gers' first SPL championship in four years.

He also played a key role up front after an exhausted Kris Boyd was subbed in the Cup Final win over Falkirk.

McCoist, the leading scorer in Gers' history, is sure centre-forward will become Lafferty's permanent position in time.

Develop

He said: "I've spoken about Kyle in the past and I've always said he will get better and better all the time.

"I still think his best position is centre-forward although, of course, he has played along the front and on the left-hand side.

"He scored the first goal up at Tannadice on the last day of the SPL season after coming in from the left.

"But long-term he'll be a centre-forward and I'm really hopeful he can develop into a very, very good Rangers player."

Lafferty must bide his time for a central role with Boyd set to STAY at Ibrox.

Turkish outfit Trabzonspor wanted the 26-year-old but Boyd is eager to stay at Ibrox.

After losing a dozen players in the summer, McCoist is thrilled that the No 9 is going nowhere.

He added: "The quicker the transfer window shuts the better as far as I'm concerned.

"Anything can happen in the last few hours.

"But there are certainly three or four players here you would not want to lose.

"I'm pleased no one else has gone but, with the exception of Barry Ferguson, the players who have gone were fringe players rather than stalwarts.

"You would not have had them down to have played 45 or 50 games this season.

"To be honest, I was more interested in players coming in.

"But there are none of them either and there's nothing else for it than to go with what we have."

Coisty and boss Walter Smith will lean heavily on home-grown kids to support mainstays like Lafferty and Boyd this term.

Gregg Wylde became the latest Murray Park kid to make his first-team bow in the 4-1 win over Hamilton on Saturday.

McCoist has urged the next generation of Gers stars to grab their chance this season.

He said: "You look at the current squad here and, if you are a young player, you'll never have a better chance of playing.

"If you fancy yourself and have ability, you'll have high hopes of playing for the first-team at some stage this season.

"If you look at the end of last season a few boys came in and played games.

Chance

"Andrius Velicka and Stevie Smith did as much as anybody to help us win the Double. So, if you're a young player you must know if you're good enough you'll be given a chance."

McCoist spoke at the launch of The Official Rangers Hall of Fame book. The book is available from the Rangers/JJB Superstore at Ibrox Stadium and all good book outlets, priced £14.99.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...e-Lafferty.html