Burnside Takeover Rumour

TheFlyingPig

Just been emailed this , for what its worth

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-bus...-bid/article.do

The resignation of Sir David Murray as chairman and director of Glasgow Rangers has sparked speculation as to who may take over the current Scottish Premier League champions should he go the whole distance and offload his majority shareholding.

At this week's party for the unveiling of the new Green's Restaurant & Oyster Bar in the City, David Burnside resurfaced in connection with the club. Burnside, the former British Airways spin doctor, Ulster Unionist politician and now with his own successful PR agency (clients include Scots Sir Fred Goodwin and Sir Jackie Stewart), was at the Green's bash and was not denying his interest. In 2007, Burnside said he wanted to put together a consortium to buy out Murray's stake but at that time the Rangers chairman was not in a mood to sell. Then last week, Murray announced he was quitting, saying he wanted to take a back seat after 20 years of almost daily involvement with the Ibrox club. Murray gave no indication of what might happen to his shares.

Burnside is not short of well-connected fellow Rangers supporters — one of his friends is the Sky business presenter, Jeff Randall.

Branson's Galactic flying high

Hes not got the cash or the contacts imo, he only metioned us before because he was in the middle of an election and looking for a few more votes.

Thats a great point.

I would see it as more likely that some people Alistair Johnston knows putting something together could happen, but, not this really

We will have a new owner shortly of that there is no doubt, if this guy wants it its alright with me.

The question is who else is lurking in the wings one day i reckon before long we will have a new regime.

So i hope you are right but lets wait and see.

Doesn't stack up this one.

Burnside said at the time that Murray was not in the mood, but the chairman had said long before then that he was prepared to sell. These two things alone are incompatible, so either there's nothing in this or there is more to it than we've been told.

Burnside said at the time that Murray was not in the mood, but the chairman had said long before then that he was prepared to sell. These two things alone are incompatible, so either there's nothing in this or there is more to it than we've been told.

Thought that myself when I read it. Murray has also suggested he knocked back offers because they were not in the best interest of Rangers. Anyone know if Burnside has cash?

Hes not got the cash or the contacts imo, he only metioned us before because he was in the middle of an election and looking for a few more votes.

Thats a great point.

I would see it as more likely that some people Alistair Johnston knows putting something together could happen, but, not this really

Think the Alistair Johnston links are more likely than anything Burnside could possibly dream up.

I don't believe Burnside even talked to Murray. There was just a pre-election soundbite and then.....nothing.

Thought that myself when I read it. Murray has also suggested he knocked back offers because they were not in the best interest of Rangers. Anyone know if Burnside has cash?

Given the burnside guys said ""It is not a crime to have a club with a proud Protestant,Scottish and British culture that can share its love of football with all faiths"

Maybe thats a reason?

I don't believe Burnside even talked to Murray. There was just a pre-election soundbite and then.....nothing.

Tend to agree. He seems happy to associate himself with buying Rangers but never actually says anything to indicate he's serious as far as I can see.

I think i remember that a consortium went to Murray that involved this gentleman a few years ago and Murray knocked them back as he didnt believe that they could take the club forward. They did have discussions and he said no to them

Which is the opposite impression given by Burnside! Though I suppose he would say that if he got a KB.

I think i remember that a consortium went to Murray that involved this gentleman a few years ago and Murray knocked them back as he didnt believe that they could take the club forward. They did have discussions and he said no to them

Where did you hear that?

I know Murray made claim to have been almost there with some mysterious consortium that he knocked back at the last moment, but there was never any suggestion that this was Burnside that I was aware of.

It's a guessing game right now.

TBH, it will be whatever offer the bank decides is acceptable, not what David Murray decides.

I'm afraid that's just not true. The only deal to be done will be Murray selling HIS shareholding. He'll choose who he sells to, on what terms, when and at what price. The bank may well put pressure on but fundamentally, the bank cannot sell what it doesn't own. It's not a case of selling the club but of Murray selling all or only part of his shareholding.

Where did you hear that?

I know Murray made claim to have been almost there with some mysterious consortium that he knocked back at the last moment, but there was never any suggestion that this was Burnside that I was aware of.

I think that it was in the Observeror Guardian in an interview with Murray. It was about a year ago i think. I thought it was always known that it was this dude. I dont think that he has the cash or the clout and would go along with the "get me elected" view