***The Official Scotland vs Holland Thread***

Juno

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8244206.stm - video of the press conference

Scotland manager George Burley believes his players must be at their best to beat the Netherlands in Wednesday's crucial World Cup qualifier at Hampden.

Victory for the Scots would secure second spot in Group Nine and keep their World Cup play-offs hopes alive.

Burley warned: "Everybody will have to perform to their maximum. We'll have to battle for the 90 minutes.

"It's up to ourselves to be strong and determined and to play to the best of our ability."

Scotland know that a win at Hampden may not be enough to see them book a place at the finals in South Africa.

They must finish as one of the top eight group runners-up to secure a play-off place.

If Burley's side do pick up maximum points, they would also need Northern Ireland to fail to beat Slovakia and a draw between Slovenia and Poland.

We've got everything to play for, it doesn't get any better than playing at Hampden

George Burley

A draw would leave the Scots on 11 points, with a play-off place unlikely and depending on other results going their way.

At Tuesday's media conference at Dumbarton, Burley told reporters that Celtic midfielder Scott Brown would train in the afternoon and that goalkeeper Craig Gordon's fitness will be assessed on match day.

Gary Caldwell comes back into contention after serving his suspension.

"We've got options," said Burley. "We'll assess it and pick a team that we think will win the game.

"We had two or three formations on Saturday. You start with one and slightly adjust it.

"Holland are one of the top six nations in the world.

"On Saturday people said we played poorly first half. I don't think that was the case. With any of these games, you have to win the battle first."

The former Hearts and Southampton boss said that, rather than concern himself with the Dutch threat, he preferred to focus on how his team would approach the match.

"It's up to us to win the game," he said.

"We know the qualities of Holland but we can't fear them. Concentration has got to be at the maximum to get the result.

"We've got everything to play for. It doesn't get any better than playing at Hampden. Every ticket is sold. From a player's and manager's point of view, it doesn't get any bigger."

With James McFadden unavailable through suspension and Callum Davidson out with a hamstring injury, Gavin Rae and Graham Dorrans have received call-ups to face the Netherlands, who have already qualified for the World Cup finals as Group 9 winners.

Scotland captain Darren Fletcher, like his manager, was upbeat about the team's chances while respecting the quality of the Dutch opposition.

"We've got a lot of players who like to go forward and attack," said the Manchester United midfielder.

"We have a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of energy.

"There will be opportunities for us to get the ball down and play. We've got to be patient, keep our shape and and not let them play through us.

"Their team has got a lot of quality in wide areas. Whoever is playing will cause us a lot of problems. They are unbeaten in a while and it's going to take a massive team effort."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8240655.stm

Anyone else think that Caldwell will play in front of the back 4?

It wouldn't be a bad move tbh as it would let Whittaker and Hutton bomb forward while still leaving us covered at the back.

I would go with:

Gordon

Hutton Weir McManus Whittaker

Caldwell

Brown Fletcher Hartley Maloney

Miller

I would expect the full backs to push up and support at every chance, which I know would leave us short at the back. However I would combat that with Caldwell and Hartley covering back. That would then Leave Brown, Fletcher and Maloney to help out Miller up front when required.

Its a defensive formation but I think its the right way to go especially with McFadden out of this game. Hopefully the dutch play a weakened side and we can get all three points.

by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS coach Kenny McDowall insists the national team have what it takes to secure vicitory over Holland tomorrow night.

The Scots - liable to have Davie Weir, Stevie Whittaker and Kenny Miller in the starting line-up - need to beat the Dutch to try to ensure they are one of the best second placed teams and therefore reach the World Cup play-offs.

The Dutch are ranked third in the world right now and are aiming to complete their qualification campaign with a 100 per cent record.

Hower, McDowall reckons the Scots can achieve their aim. He told Rangers World: "The Holland game is going to be huge because there is so much riding on it.

"It will be hard, of course, but Scotland at Hampden is a big proposition and they are well capable of getting a result especially with the Tartan Army behind them."

The Rangers coach was pleased to see Whittaker make his Hampden international debut last Saturday in the 2-0 win over Macedonia and hopes he can keep his place fo rthe Holland match while he also enthused about the performance of Davie Weir.

He said: "It was great to see Stevie Whittaker involved last Saturday. He has been on fine form for us and I was delighted when he got the nod early in the match and he went on and handled it very well I thought.

"I was pleased to see Davie doing well too. He is the man that defies science and it's great to see him doing well.

"He never complains and just gets on with his job. He is fantastic to work with.

"It was another clean sheet for him and that was pleasing. He just does what he does and that's keeping the ball out of the net."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/He...1791043,00.html

News flying about that Stevie Naismith is getting a start tomorrow :unsure:

Heard that also...what did steven fletcher do wrong to be dropped,thought he done well 2nd half...

team .........gordon

hutton weir mcmanus whittaker

.............caldwell...................

....brown fletcher maloney.....

...........miller s fletcher.........

Heard that also...what did steven fletcher do wrong to be dropped,thought he done well 2nd half...

team .........gordon

good team except caldwell. id have hartley or even gavin rae in there instead

team .........gordon

good team except caldwell. id have hartley or even gavin rae in there instead

think caldwell in there would let whits and hutton get forward alot more, hartley goes missing too much for a DM imo and rae isnt good enough.

and i would be dropping fletch for naismith and for him to play free role like has been doing on occasion for us.