***the Official N F L 11/12 Season Thread***

chris_glasgow

Could someone explain the draft?

I understand it's when teams are allowed to pick College players..But it's more confusing than that correct? It's not like a transfer window.

Very basically, teams are allocated draft slots based on their performance the past season. These draft slots are then traded to each other for existing players if the team so desires.

Once everyone has traded their picks, the draft is held in April and every team goes in the turn of their draft pick to select a college player, up to 25 picks each (iirc).

Very basically, teams are allocated draft slots based on their performance the past season. These draft slots are then traded to each other for existing players if the team so desires.

Once everyone has traded their picks, the draft is held in April and every team goes in the turn of their draft pick to select a college player, up to 25 picks each (iirc).

I may be wrong, but the draft usually goes up to 8 rounds, so that is why it takes 3 days to complete the draft. The last person selected in the draft is usually called Mr. Irrelevant. Just saying.

Indianapolis Colts go first because of their 2011-2012 W-L record. The Giants is the last team to pick. However, like what ClintonGrey just said, teams may draft up or down. When these trades are made, the teams may be willing to relinquish their picks for next year's draft picks. The best part is usually the first day of draft.

Here's the 2012 NFL Draft order as of February 6, 2012:

1. Indianapolis Colts

2. St. Louis Rams

3. Minnesota Vikings

4. Cleveland Browns

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

6. Washington Redskins

7. Jacksonville Jaguars

8t. Carolina Panthers

8t. Miami Dolphins

10. Buffalo Bills

11t. Kansas City Chiefs

11t. Seattle Seahawks

13. Arizona Cardinals

14. Dallas Cowboys

15. Philadelphia Eagles

16. New York Jets

17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland Raiders)

18. San Diego Chargers

19. Chicago Bears

20. Tennessee Titans

21. Cincinnati Bengals

22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta Falcons)

23. Detroit Lions

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

25. Denver Broncos

26. Houston Texans

27. New England Patriots (from New Orleans Saints)

28. Green Bay Packers

29. Baltimore Ravens

30. San Francisco 49ers

31. New England Patriots

32. New York Giants

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-05/2012-nfl-draft-selection-order-established#ixzz1liPxESG5

Very basically, teams are allocated draft slots based on their performance the past season. These draft slots are then traded to each other for existing players if the team so desires.Once everyone has traded their picks, the draft is held in April and every team goes in the turn of their draft pick to select a college player, up to 25 picks each (iirc).

I may be wrong, but the draft usually goes up to 8 rounds, so that is why it takes 3 days to complete the draft. The last person selected in the draft is usually called Mr. Irrelevant. Just saying.Indianapolis Colts go first because of their 2011-2012 W-L record. The Giants is the last team to pick. However, like what ClintonGrey just said, teams may draft up or down. When these trades are made, the teams may be willing to relinquish their picks for next year's draft picks. The best part is usually the first day of draft.Here's the 2012 NFL Draft order as of February 6, 2012:1. Indianapolis Colts2. St. Louis Rams3. Minnesota Vikings4. Cleveland Browns5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers6. Washington Redskins7. Jacksonville Jaguars8t. Carolina Panthers8t. Miami Dolphins10. Buffalo Bills11t. Kansas City Chiefs11t. Seattle Seahawks13. Arizona Cardinals14. Dallas Cowboys15. Philadelphia Eagles16. New York Jets17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland Raiders)18. San Diego Chargers19. Chicago Bears20. Tennessee Titans21. Cincinnati Bengals22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta Falcons)23. Detroit Lions24. Pittsburgh Steelers25. Denver Broncos26. Houston Texans27. New England Patriots (from New Orleans Saints)28. Green Bay Packers29. Baltimore Ravens30. San Francisco 49ers31. New England Patriots32. New York GiantsRead more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-05/2012-nfl-draft-selection-order-established#ixzz1liPxESG5

Great. Cheers lads (tu)

Who are likely to trade to get higher up? Is it much like football that you offer the boy a contract, but he could still turn you down in hope for a different team to go in for him? Are there any standouts that are attracting alot of attention?

Everybody thinks Andrew Luck is a lock in for the no1 draft pick. I'm not so sure now. With the way our personnel is shaping up behind the scenes, I wouldn't be shocked if the no1 draft pick is.... Robert Griffin III.

RG3!! :D He's my man cos he played for my university, Baylor University Bears. If he is actually selected as the number one pick, he will be the first from Baylor to be selected that high.

Below is a picture of my former staff assistant who got a job at another local sign language interpreting agency. She was at this agency's Christmas party, and RG3 happened to be in the building that evening.

390340_258054854249069_100001336706431_660783_1576508490_n.jpg

Great. Cheers lads (tu)

Who are likely to trade to get higher up? Is it much like football that you offer the boy a contract, but he could still turn you down in hope for a different team to go in for him? Are there any standouts that are attracting alot of attention?

You don't turn down a draft pick. :pipe:

Also, Andrew Luck is this years stand out, but there are lots of other very good players.

RG3!! :D He's my man cos he played for my university, Baylor University Bears. If he is actually selected as the number one pick, he will be the first from Baylor to be selected that high.

Below is a picture of my former staff assistant who got a job at another local sign language interpreting agency. She was at this agency's Christmas party, and RG3 happened to be in the building that evening.

390340_258054854249069_100001336706431_660783_1576508490_n.jpg

What a small World it is indeed, what a great thing for Baylor University Bears. If he does get the no1 pick. I'm routing for him to be no1 pick. He looks like he has all the tools to go to the very top of the NFL.

Have you seen him play, first hand?

Draft Trades so far.

In the explanations below, (D) denotes trades that took place during the 2012 Draft, while (PD) indicates trades completed pre-draft.

Round one

Atlanta ¨ Cleveland (PD). Atlanta traded this selection, a fourth-round selection, and their first-, second-, and fourth-round selections (No. 27, after all trades and the clock expiring on their original pick, Baltimore selected Jimmy Smith; No. 59, Cleveland selected Greg Little; and No. 124, Cleveland selected Owen Marecic) in the 2011 NFL Draft to Cleveland for its 2011 first-round selection (No. 6 overall, used to select Julio Jones).

New Orleans - New England (PD). New Orleans traded this selection and their 2011 second-round selection (No. 56 overall, New England selected Shane Vereen) and 2012 first-round selection in the 2011 NFL Draft for New England's first-round selection in the 2011 Draft (No. 28 overall, New Orleans selected Mark Ingram).

Round two

Oakland - New England (PD). Oakland traded this selection and a 2011 seventh-round selection (No. 219, New England selected Malcolm Williams) to New England for New England's third- and fourth-round selections in 2011 (Nos. 92 and 125, Oakland selected Joseph Barksdale and Taiwan Jones, respectively).

Arizona - Philadelphia (PD). Arizona traded this selection and CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Philadelphia for Philadelphia's No.2 QB Kevin Kolb.

Round three

Carolina ¨ Chicago (PD). Carolina traded this selection to Chicago for tight end Greg Olsen.

Round four

Atlanta ¨ Cleveland (PD). See Round One: Atlanta ¨ Cleveland above

Oakland ¨ Washington (PD). Oakland traded this selection to Washington for quarterback Jason Campbell.[source 1]

Tampa Bay ¨ Philadelphia (PD). Tampa Bay traded this selection to Philadelphia with a fourth-round pick in 2011 (116th overall, Tampa Bay selected Luke Stocker) for a fourth-round pick in 2011 (104 overall).

Baltimore ¨ Buffalo (PD). Baltimore traded this selection to Buffalo for wide receiver Lee Evans.[source 2]

Round five

New England ¨ Cincinnati (PD). New England traded this selection and a sixth-round selection in the 2013 NFL Draft to Cincinnati for wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.

Round six

Denver ¨ Philadelphia (PD). Denver traded this selection to Philadelphia for linebacker Joe Mays. Denver originally sent running back J. J. Arrington to Philadelphia, with the condition that if Arrington did not make Philadelphia's 53-man roster, Denver would instead send the sixth-round selection.

Washington ¨ New Orleans (PD). Washington traded this conditional selection and a 2011 third-round selection to New Orleans for offensive tackle Jammal Brown and a 2011 fifth-round selection.

New England ¨ Philadelphia (PD). New England traded this selection to Philadelphia for linebacker Tracy White and a seventh-round selection.

Round seven

Philadelphia ¨ New England (PD). See Round Six: New England ¨ Philadelphia

New England ¨ Kansas City (PD). New England traded this conditional selection to Kansas City for safety Jarrad Page.

New England ¨ Minnesota (PD). New England traded this selection and wide receiver Randy Moss to Minnesota for a 2011 third-round selection.

Undetermined

Cleveland ¨ Minnesota (PD). Cleveland traded this selection to Minnesota for defensive end Jayme Mitchell.

Denver ¨ Cleveland (PD). Denver traded this conditional selection, a 2011 sixth-round selection, and running back Peyton Hillis to Cleveland for quarterback Brady Quinn.

Miami ¨ New Orleans (PD). Miami traded an undisclosed selection to New Orleans for running back Reggie Bush.

Minnesota ¨ Washington (PD). Minnesota traded this conditional selection and a 2013 sixth-round pick to Washington for quarterback Donovan McNabb.

New York Giants ¨ Minnesota (PD). The New York Giants traded this conditional selection and a 2011 fifth-round selection to Minnesota for running back Darius Reynaud and quarterback Sage Rosenfels.

Seattle ¨ Buffalo (PD). Seattle traded this conditional selection and a 2011 fourth-round selection to Buffalo for running back Marshawn Lynch

Forfeited picks

Detroit will forfeit a pick in this draft due to findings of tampering consisting of comments made by defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham about certain Kansas City Chiefs players. If Detroit makes the 2012 NFL Playoffs, they will give up their sixth-round selection, otherwise they will forfeit their seventh-rounder.

Oakland will forfeit its third-round selection in order to take Terrelle Pryor in the 2011 Supplemental Draft.

Position Evaluations for this years draft

Player Evaluations

Here are my player evaluations. They are not yet complete, and they are going to change a lot over the course of the season. I appreciate any input that anyone has on these guys (or on any typos/mistakes I've made) as most of them I see only a few games of a year, however, please remove your homer glasses when evaluating them. I will expand many of these as the year goes on; I will also add good video clips as I find them.

In general, this looks to be a very strong draft, moreso for offense than defense. I see four elite prospects (Luck, Jones, Kalil, Coples) and a very, very talented first half of the first round. Generalized position breakdowns look like this to me:

Quarterback: very deep and talented group. I can see up to 6 going in the first, and possibly 3 in the top 5.

Running back: deep and varied, but only one high end prospect. Something for everyone: power backs, scatbacks, good receivers, etc.

Receiver: Two clear top prospects, then a bit of a jumble. Average class overall. Biggest class I can remember, seems like everyone is 6'4" 220.

Tight end: weak class, every prospect has question marks.

Offensive tackle: Deep and varied class. Excellent talent at the top, plenty of variety throughout. Lots of RT and LT prospects. Slightly smaller class than we've seen in previous years.

Guard/center: Average class, one clear elite prospect and then a bunch of road graders who are mean to linebackers. No real elite centers.

Defensive end: Very talented group, but fairly one dimensional with a lot of smaller pure pass rushers. Lot of 3-4 WLB prospects, not a lot of real 4-3 guys and a serious lack of 3-4 DE types.

Defensive tackle: good depth, but no high end talent this year. Most guys project as 2 gap types. Very one dimensional.

Outside linebacker: few pass rush types, decent talent for 4-3 guys.

Inside linebacker: historically awesome top end of the class, mediocre after that.

Cornerback: no elite prospects as we've seen in previous years, but good depth and a lot of good cover guys. Smaller class than last year.

Safety: mediocre group yet again.

If you want the individual players I'll post them again, but I'm pretty sure I already posted it earlier in the thread somewhere.

You don't turn down a draft pick. :pipe:

Also, Andrew Luck is this years stand out, but there are lots of other very good players.

Woops :lol:

Cheers. I find it strange that you can't turn it down, guessing that's just down to me being used to football over here. Do players have power to get a move away? Like in football? I'm guessing if your team don't want to trade your stuck were you are.

Woops :lol:

Cheers. I find it strange that you can't turn it down guessing that's just down to me being used to football over here. Do players have power to get a move away? Like in football? I'm guessing if your team don't want to trade your stuck were you are.

The draft is set up to make all the NFL teams competitive. Hence the worst team gets the first pick. Although that doesn't always turn out the be the best player.

Probably the top picks this year will be...

Andrew Luck

Landry Jones

Matt Barkley

Trent Richardson

Alshon Jeffrey

Justin Blackmon

Matt Kalil

Jonathan Martin

Cordy Glenn

Quinton Coples

Courtney Upshaw

Vontaze Burfict

Janoris Jenkins

According to this little list I have.

What a small World it is indeed, what a great thing for Baylor University Bears. If he does get the no1 pick. I'm routing for him to be no1 pick. He looks like he has all the tools to go to the very top of the NFL.

Have you seen him play, first hand?

Yes, I have seen him play twice when I was at the Floyd Casey Stadium. He has a great arm, great accuracy and is a very fast runner. Has the smarts. He is unbelievably believable.

Probably the top picks this year will be...

Andrew Luck

Landry Jones

Matt Barkley

Trent Richardson

Alshon Jeffrey

Justin Blackmon

Matt Kalil

Jonathan Martin

Cordy Glenn

Quinton Coples

Courtney Upshaw

Vontaze Burfict

Janoris Jenkins

According to this little list I have.

Jones and Barkley are going back to school

Looking like Luck, Kalil, Blackmon, Griffin will all be part of the top 5

Yes, I have seen him play twice when I was at the Floyd Casey Stadium. He has a great arm, great accuracy and is a very fast runner. Has the smarts. He is unbelievably believable.

Good to hear, will be interesting to see where he ends up. Will be watching with interest. (tu)

Good to hear, will be interesting to see where he ends up. Will be watching with interest. (tu)

Most of my friends who are Baylor alumni are hoping that the Redskins do not pick RG3. Beside RG3 from Baylor, Terrance Ganaway (running back), Philip Blake (center) and Kendall Wright (wide receiver, one problem he has now is that he has an ankle injury that he played with last fall. Philip Blake is a Canadian who made his way to Baylor via JUCO (junior college).

Most of my friends who are Baylor alumni are hoping that the Redskins do not pick RG3. Beside RG3 from Baylor, Terrance Ganaway (running back), Philip Blake (center) and Kendall Wright (wide receiver, one problem he has now is that he has an ankle injury that he played with last fall. Philip Blake is a Canadian who made his way to Baylor via JUCO (junior college).

Might be a big ask, but. I could see the Dolphins sneaking up the draft to nab him. That's of course the Colts do indeed take Andrew Luck.

I agree though with your friends the Redskins would be a bad move. I'll keep a eye out for the rest of the players named. :cheers:

We have heard of "Tebowing." Now, we will be hearing about "Bradying."

eit4q9.jpg

From boston.sbnation.com

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2012/2/7/2781819/super-bowl-2012-patriots-vs-giants-tom-brady-nfl-playoffs-bradying

I had a feeling that pic of Brady as Christ was a step too far... ;)