Bemused, frustrated, concerned.

lancedeangers1

Bad results, indifferent team performances, irregular individual performances, lack of discipline, lack of cohesion, questionable attitudes, I could go on and on. Parallel to this we have had a baron summer in the transfer market, mass player exodus without replacements, fallout rumours between M'Coist and Fleck, negative financial speculation ongoing, SDM stepping down + the resulting uncertainty over the future, stories now appearing regarding Mr King, rumours circulating about Walters contract and even the youth team have had a bad start.

After considering all of the above mentioned points its clear that things aren't too rosy at Ibrox at the present time. I dont expect that certain off the field issues are directly responsible for individual performances on the pitch but the sheer volume of the turbulence caused suggests it is perhaps an indirect contributing factor.

Some of the above and god knows what else that we are oblivious to have impacted on Walter Smith and his management team of that I have no doubt and the fruits of this are being reflected on the pitch. My own observations on the playing side conclude that there is too much tinkering with players acting up in unfamiliar roles. This is seriously affecting the fluency and balance of the team and the players themselves are probably hampered by the inconsistencies imposed upon them game by game.

Its ok having a couple of utility players in your squad to fill in the gaps now and again but it seems that this ethos has a greater bearing on our team. M'Culloch, Davis, Naismith, Fleck, Lafferty, Novo to name a few. I really dont think it helps the efficiency of the unit when so many are played out of position ? It also calls into question who takes responsibility for what on the pitch as its unfair to expect a centre forward for example to replicate the type of product you'd get from a natural winger ?

For the duration of last season we witnessed a glaring habit of inadequate first half performances which has raised its head again this campaign. I just cant for the life of me get my head around it and why it hasn't been addressed ? In the last few matches I have also detected a shift in the attitude of Kenny Miller. There definitely appears to be something not right with his application to the cause right now. In saying that I don't think anyone is playing that well at present but its Kenny's demeanour that has concerned me most. Even Walters reaction and angry outburst at Killie is out of character and adds further weight to concerns.

What is going on ? What has happened behind closed doors ? Is there a split / division within the camp ? Why are so many players out of form ?

The best way to get the results back on track for me is for WS to be a bit more consistent with his tactics and selections coupled with allowing individuals to play were they are most confident and productive. There are obviously exceptions but generally if you have for example a natural right winger in the squad then put him on the right wing, don't put a central midfielder or striker there.

The result against Stuttgart was pleasing especially following such a dreadful first half but the point we salvaged only papered over the cracks that were so evident for the first 45 minutes. As dramatic the change in the second half performance was the truth is we dodged a bullet and its simply not sustainable. You can't win the titles in the first half of the season but you can lose them, and thats exactly whats going to happen if we don't get this sorted promptly.

Fuelled by recent successes I still believe in the individuals we have in the squad and hopefully they will put things right in the coming weeks, because at the moment its a blip, in a month it could be turmoil and by Halloween it could be curtains, its not what I envisage but its what I fear.

What a shamme - lets look at the reality - we still have basically the same championship winning squad as last year, (CB weak I admit), unbeaten in 18 games (scince March) - something others cant claim.

We are going through a bad spell but we have yet to lose a game - it was two draws away from home - and 3 red cards - Thomsons was dubious, Bougherra and Mendes in there own way in-disciplined - but its a long way from the crisis people would like to believe exist - dont panic!

What a shamme - lets look at the reality - we still have basically the same championship winning squad as last year, (CB weak I admit), unbeaten in 18 games (scince March) - something others cant claim.

We are going through a bad spell but we have yet to lose a game - it was two draws away from home - and 3 red cards - Thomsons was dubious, Bougherra and Mendes in there own way in-disciplined - but its a long way from the crisis people would like to believe exist - dont panic!

We shouldnt be dropping points at places like Rugby Park.

Yes its the same squad that won the league last season but we were lucky the mhanks were just as pish.

While not panic stations yet, the thing that concerns me the most is our lack of creativity. While we are hard to beat we are not scoring goals, away from home at least.

I dont think the scum will struggle against the dross this season, we need to sort it out right away, theres harder places than rugby park coming up.

unbeaten in 18 games (scince March) - something others cant claim.

This is a new season, last seasons results, no matter how nice it is to say that, count for nothing... And theres nothing good about claiming to be unbeaten this season when so far 2 of them have been draws (regardless of how the matches panned out/sending offs) against poor opposition, we set a precedent at Tynecastle and we should have followed that yesterday

Lance...

Excellent post.

I don't blame Walter one bit for our awful performances. It's too easy to blame the manager imho.

These players need to be physically threatened this week. They need to understand that pulling on the Light Blue is a privilege only a few can ever have. If they don't want to play their guts out for the jersey for 90 full minutes, then they can GTF. Every one of them.

We have the players.. but we need an attitude adjustment. Walter will get it sorted. We will rip the sheep a new one.

Manager and players are to blame for two very poor performances. This however may just be a blip in form. Nevertheless it does leave us two points behind the Scum and that is not where we want to be.

I agree with the OP there seems to be a lack of discipline in the team just now. I do not understand it and WS was the same on Saturday too. I get the feeling that there is some disharmony in the squad just now - I wonder if the European bonuses are in dispute?

Anyway we are short of cover in defence and some of our "star" midfield players are just not turning up. That effects our goalscoring as our strikers need service. We totally lack width and I for one am not convinced yet that Rothen is suited for the SPL.

Manager and players are to blame for two very poor performances. This however may just be a blip in form. Nevertheless it does leave us two points behind the Scum and that is not where we want to be.

I agree with the OP there seems to be a lack of discipline in the team just now. I do not understand it and WS was the same on Saturday too. I get the feeling that there is some disharmony in the squad just now - I wonder if the European bonuses are in dispute?

Anyway we are short of cover in defence and some of our "star" midfield players are just not turning up. That effects our goalscoring as our strikers need service. We totally lack width and I for one am not convinced yet that Rothen is suited for the SPL.

Perhaps they feel they can win it in the last few weeks again?

(tu) Exactly no need to hit the panic button yet. My only concern is that we can't seem to lead the league from the front

As you say, Mendes and Davis are not turning it in. Davis, like during his loan move, and, during last season, started well, and has now started disappearing in games. On Saturday, Boyd was shocking, yet, so were Novo and Miller, Naismith was about the only forward player who wasnt rank. Its easy to blame Boyd, as happens, with the whole "lack of movement" etc, but, when its ALL the forwards suffering, and, lack of chances being made, we really need to question midfield. All the more surprising given that on paper, it looks far better than anyone in the leagues, by a distance. Fairly ironic that we brought Rothen in, to "add balance" among other things, and, the facts are that since he joined, out midfield displays bar Europe have been shocking, "unbalanced" if you will. Not saying its his fault, just a little bit of irony.

There does seem to be something. In Smiths defence, given the way the team, and, it was most of the team, played in the last 2 games, its not really a surprise he is blowing his top is it? If WE are fuming, he must be too. They, generally, failed to turn up at all. McCulloch is almost everyone on heres slating target, yet, this season, he is pretty much the most consistent performer we have, and, thats out of position! That says a lot to me.