Gary McAllister offered coaching position with the National Team

Boab

Former captain Gary McAllister has been asked to join Scotland manager George Burley's coaching set-up.

Capped 57 times for his country, the 44-year-old would replace Steven Pressley in Burley's backroom team.

Pressley stood down to concentrate on his assistant's role at Falkirk and Burley wants McAllister in place before next month's friendly trip to Japan.

McAllister has management experience from brief spells in charge at Coventry and Leeds.

McAllister skippered Scotland at the 1996 European Championship, famously missing a penalty against England at Wembley.

His international career ended on a sour note, with fans booing him during the defeat by the Czech Republic at Parkhead in March 1999.

He has some experience of coaching Scotland, having helped out manager Walter Smith in 2006.

McAllister had been the early favourite to take the Scotland manager's job when Burley's predecessor Alex McLeish left but ruled himself out of the running in favour of a return to club football.

However, his time at Leeds was not a success and he lost his job in December 2008, just 11 months after his appointment.

Could think of others maybe I'd like to fill the position of Elvis but I'd be happy with Gary.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8266665.stm

I don't know if anybody remembers but there was a stage last season when I actually touted him as a possible coach for us?

I have a lot of time for McAllister, he reminds me of Ray Wilkins in the sense that he's very articulate and a total gentleman whenever he is on the TV, so if he takes the job I wish him every success.

He'll add a lot behind the scenes as a coach, good appointment if he accepts (tu)

Don't know whats everybody opinion is on Billy Stark, but is it just me that thinks he's not good enough to be U21 Manager?

A lot of people on here don't like him, but I think John Collins should have got Stark's gig.

In terms of Scotsmen he's probably the most clued up in terms of how the modern game operates and I think he could have gone a long way to improving the overall standard of the game in this country.

He'll add a lot behind the scenes as a coach, good appointment if he accepts (tu)

Don't know whats everybody opinion is on Billy Stark, but is it just me that thinks he's not good enough to be U21 Manager?

A lot of people on here don't like him, but I think John Collins should have got Stark's gig.

In terms of Scotsmen he's probably the most clued up in terms of how the modern game operates and I think he could have gone a long way to improving the overall standard of the game in this country.

John Collins would have been a good appointment, and that thought did cross mind when i seen him on Sky Sports last week. Plus he's out of work at the moment. Another person we should be trying to get on board is Alex Miller.

Someday, I will learn how to use YouTube ready instead of having to post a link.

Would this be Gary McAllister in this vid? It shows him kicking a super free kick from 40 yards or whatever...

Another vid which is about 3 mins long.

John Collins suffered a bit of the PLG effect.

He tried to implement continental training methods and diets, tried to turn his players into athletes, and the knuckle dragging Scottish 'just doing enough' mentality won through in the end at Hibs.

John Collins suffered a bit of the PLG effect.

He tried to implement continental training methods and diets, tried to turn his players into athletes, and the knuckle dragging Scottish 'just doing enough' mentality won through in the end at Hibs.

Yeah his continental techniques were his downfall at Hibs, but as for bringing him into the National team fold as a U21/U19 manager his experience would be a added bonus.

Also Alex Miller is out of work as well as John Collins, his experience should be another person the SFA should be trying to get on board.

GARY McALLISTER today revealed the reasons he turned down George Burley's invitation to become a coach in the Scotland set-up.

Burley met former national captain McAllister last week for informal talks and invited him to take up the coaching post vacated by Steven Pressley earlier this month.

However, the former Leeds United and Liverpool midfielder has rejected the chance to help out with his country's bid to reach the European Championship finals in 2012.

The 57-times capped player, who was sacked as boss as Leeds last season, is keen to move back into management on a full-time basis and feels any involvement with Scotland would complicate that.

advertisement

And McAllister's comments suggest that he hopes to be unveiled as the manager of another club down in England.

He said: "I was flattered to be asked by George during what was an informal chat last week.

"But at this stage of my coaching career, I think it is more important to hold out for a full-time job at club level.

"I don't really want to elaborate on that because of the sensitive nature of the situation, but I have a great deal of respect for George Burley and when he asked me to have a chat about it, I was keen to hear what he had to say about the role.

"As a former Scotland captain, I would have been immensely proud and honoured to have worked with the international set-up again and try to get the country into a major championship Finals again.

"I have a couple of irons in the fire down here and the major attraction is that they are full-time posts so I had to bear that in mind. I wish George all the best for the future."

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith dismissed suggestions that McAllister's decision was a snub and revealed that Burley has other potential candidates in mind for the role.

Smith said: "It's no insult to us that Gary has made this decision and I do know George has been speaking to other people about this position."

Publication date 25/09/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...to_scotland.php