Do we have a proper, true leader in the current Rangers squad?

papaguy51

i just cant see what all the fuss about him is , i prefer edu in that role, just my opinion though,

Edu get's a very raw deal when he is compared to Thomson.

He (Edu) was every bit as impressvie in the later stages of the campaign, as Thomson was earlier in the campaign.

Absolutely.

If we ever play a true 4-2-3-1 in Europe, the '2' would be Thomson and Edu in front of the back four.

Thou shalt not pass!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just cant see what all the fuss about him is , i prefer edu in that role, just my opinion though,

He (Edu) was every bit as impressvie in the later stages of the campaign, as Thomson was earlier in the campaign.

Absolutely.

If we ever play a true 4-2-3-1 in Europe, the '2' would be Thomson and Edu in front of the back four.

Thou shalt not pass!

ha ha the paul le guen system, just as well barry is gone.

We don't have a leader in the style of Richard Gough. Someone who will give the players a boot up the arse and get the team rallied with his vocal support.

But in our squad we have no one who does that. It's not all about how loud you shout on the pitch, loom at Steven Gerrard for example. He leads from the front by taking the game by the balls and dragging his team on.

We have no natural leader IMO.

Absolutely.

Thou shalt not pass!

You see I'm the opposite from that.

I don't see how/why people compare Edu to Thomson. Thomson is a better player.

Now don't me wrong Edu is a good player, but, he still very, very raw. Yes, he was crucial to our run-in last season but people I think got a bit over excited with Edu. Edu made a difference, but, I think he got made to look alot better due to how poor Barry Ferguson was befoe he got suspened. His passing isn't that good, takes too many touches, slow the game down when it doesn't to be slowed down and is yet to show he has any kind of shooting ability. Although he can improve on all those areas. I would also like to see Edu in my team over Mendes.

As for Thomson, I think his passing is very underrated. He showed in Stuttgart that his passing in short spaces and the ability to make one touch passes keeps the tempo and game flowing. Both Thomson and Edu are very good tacklers (ok both can make the odd mistimed challenge) and good readers of the game, so them both in the holding roles would be on paper brilliant. Thomson also can cross a ball and set-up a few goals early last season with his crossing from free-kicks and he also showed with his goal against Dundee United that he can score from range.

Edu is good, but I still think he has a long way to go - Thomson IMO is a much better play.

Absolutely.

Thou shalt not pass!

Now don't me wrong Edu is a good player, but, he still very, very raw. Yes, he was crucial to our run-in last season but people I think got a bit over excited with Edu. Edu made a difference, but, I think he got made to look alot better due to how poor Barry Ferguson was befoe he got suspened. His passing isn't that good, takes too many touches, slow the game down when it doesn't to be slowed down and is yet to show he has any kind of shooting ability. Although he can improve on all those areas. I would also like to see Edu in my team over Mendes.

As for Thomson, I think his passing is very underrated. He showed in Stuttgart that his passing in short spaces and the ability to make one touch passes keeps the tempo and game flowing. Both Thomson and Edu are very good tacklers (ok both can make the odd mistimed challenge) and good readers of the game, so them both in the holding roles would be on paper brilliant. Thomson also can cross a ball and set-up a few goals early last season with his crossing from free-kicks and he also showed with his goal against Dundee United that he can score from range.

Edu is good, but I still think he has a long way to go - Thomson IMO is a much better play.

thomson for one cannot tackle. gives far too many fouls aways and picks up too many bookings, edu is far better at timing his tackling, however i do agree edu can take too much touches and can be disspossed because of this.

Absolutely.

Thou shalt not pass!

thomson for one cannot tackle. gives far too many fouls aways and picks up too many bookings, edu is far better at timing his tackling, however i do agree edu can take too much touches and can be disspossed because of this.

Don't agree with that.

One mistimed challenge against Hearts doesn't mean he cannot tackle. There have numerous occasions when Thomson has made brilliant challenges to start attacks for the side.

Steven Gerrard is the perfect captain.

Doesn't give his team mates abuse, can give them a kick up the backside if needs be, can single handedly drag the team to victory, leads from the front... he is everything I want in a captain.

Doesn't give his team mates abuse, can give them a kick up the backside if needs be, can single handedly drag the team to victory, leads from the front... he is everything I want in a captain.

And is a wonderful player to watch. That's why he is my favourite player in the world. So many times have I heard over the years "And Gerrard comes to the rescue of Liverpool again!" extrodinary.

Ferguson used to get pelters on here for "snarling " at the team, now that's what we are looking for

Weir is an ideal captain.

Ferguson didn't 'snarl', he moaned at others even when he fucked up.

I remember him ripping through Charlie Adam on his debut for playing a ball a yard in front of him, a ball that Barry could have easily gathered if he'd shown any desire.

There's a moaning and greeting way to 'snarl', and there's a way to do it that demands respect. Sadly, Barry was more often than not guilty of the former.

Don't agree with that.

One mistimed challenge against Hearts doesn't mean he cannot tackle. There have numerous occasions when Thomson has made brilliant challenges to start attacks for the side.

And there has also been a number of occassions when he has been booked for making petulant little fouls and thundering into tackles that he is never going to win.

Don't get me wrong, I'd argue with anybody on here that I'm probably Thomson's biggest fan, but some people seem to be building him up far too much.

And is a wonderful player to watch. That's why he is my favourite player in the world. So many times have I heard over the years "And Gerrard comes to the rescue of Liverpool again!" extrodinary.

I gauarentee you that if Gerrard was a Rangers player somebody would find a flaw in his game to moan about.

I gauarentee you that if Gerrard was a Rangers player somebody would find a flaw in his game to moan about.

aye he's a wee diver

I think there are guys in there that could do a job as leader / captain but in all honesty there isn't a stand out candidate . If you assess all the individuals who would be in the running they all have weaknesses in terms of either ability or character that would be a deterrent.

Papac - He isn't an effective enough communicator on or off the pitch.

Bougherra - Has the attributes and confidence but will sadly not be at the club for the long term .

Weir - Is the current choice and a decent captain. Doesn't rally the players enough for me though and his age means he's nearly done.

Thomson - Has been mentioned as future captain. Needs to get back to previous standards and be more influential on the pitch.

Davis - Has the ability but would seem and unlikely choice at present. I believe the club will cash in on him when the vultures inevitably come.

Mendes - Not performing with consistency and too quiet for the role. May well be on his way if he doesn't flourish in this campaign.

To captain a club like Rangers you need to firstly have unquestionable ability and then the confidence that such ability creates. An ideal captain and leader should be a midfielder who is the very heartbeat of the side and gets involved in every play and doesn't hide from any situation. Someone who can shout encouragement and advice and motivate his team mates. Sadly we don't have this type of individual at present and we will most likely have to buy one in.

Davie Weir is the best example of a leader at the club but he leads through his example on the park and the way he conducts himself off it.

If I'm being honest I don't think we have had a true leader in the John Terry, Stevie Gerrard, Roy Keane type of mould since Richard Gough. I know people will say Amo, Fergie etc but for me Gough was everything you want in a captain and more

Ferguson used to get pelters on here for "snarling " at the team, now that's what we are looking for

I remember him ripping through Charlie Adam on his debut for playing a ball a yard in front of him, a ball that Barry could have easily gathered if he'd shown any desire.

There's a moaning and greeting way to 'snarl', and there's a way to do it that demands respect. Sadly, Barry was more often than not guilty of the former.

(tu) well said

I forgot about your famous body language interpreting skills…… :D;)