Laffin stock

ShaneRalfRoss

Laffin stock

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: 22 Sep 2009

rigTeaserImage

KYLE LAFFERTY collapsed in a heap claiming he'd been hit with a Glasgow kiss.

Days later the Rangers star saw a stranger fall down in the street holding his face - after giving his girlfriend a kiss in Glasgow.

That was the moment it hit home. When he realised his actions would live with him forever.

Lafferty, 22, was guilty of feigning injury to get Aberdeen star Charlie Mulgrew sent off at Ibrox last season. TV pictures were embarrassing and he was hung out to dry.

Rangers fined him. The SFA banned him.

But a random punter RIDICULING him made the Ibrox ace realise he was tarnished.

Lafferty said: "I'd love to forget about that incident and move on but I realise it's something I'm going to need to deal with this season.

"I imagine every away ground I go to I'm going to get a tough reception.

"It's just up to me to handle that because it was my mistake, no one else's.

"I'm old enough to accept I was wrong, it was totally out of order. Since it happened I've spoken to Charlie a few times and there is no problem between us. But there is still nothing I can say to explain my actions.

"I made the tackle, he jumped up and at that point it wasn't in my mind to go down. To this day I don't know what made me do that. Everyone knows Charlie didn't touch me and I fell.

"I was punished for that through the club and the SFA and quite rightly so. The coaching staff here didn't go overboard about it but they made it clear what happened cannot be tolerated.

"I can say here and now something like that will never happen again but I know it's something everyone else will remember for a while.

"Every time I go back to Northern Ireland my friends hit me with sly remarks about it, or they'll fall over when they see me coming.

"It's the same when I go out in Glasgow. I was in the Silverburn shopping centre not long after it happened and this guy was walking with his girlfriend. When they were beside me the guy leaned across and gave his girlfriend a kiss on the cheek, and then fell to the ground holding his face.

"At the time I didn't click what had happened but then I realised the boy was at it. It was funny but I could hardly stand there laughing.

"I just need to take any stick or banter which comes my way and handle it."

The red card shame summed up Lafferty's season. It was an up and down campaign for the Northern Ireland international with injury taking its toll.

Laff was in and out of the Ibrox side and took time to adjust to life in the SPL.

Advertisement

Click here

Before long many Rangers fans wondered why Walter Smith had splashed out £3.25million to sign him from Burnley.

The criticism stung Lafferty but he is more determined than ever to prove his critics wrong.

He added: "This as a big season for me. Last season I heard a lot of people talking rubbish, saying I wasn't good enough to play for Rangers.

"My mates told me people's opinions of me and I tried to laugh it off, but it hurt. It's something you think about when you're on your own.

"But I know I've got the heart to play for the Rangers. That makes up more than half of what's needed, but I also believe I have the ability.

"It took me a while to get into my stride, a long while. I did okay towards the end of the season but there's a lot more I can show the fans.

"People said I was beginning to play well towards the end of last season but I didn't see it that way.

"The second half of the season was a lot better than the first half, I must admit that. But I was still nowhere near my best."

Laff started this season with high hopes but was crocked playing for Northern Ireland in Poland earlier this month.

He added: "I thought my luck was changing. Then another injury came along.

"I just can't seem to get a run of games for club and country. It's frustrating. I want to get a run of matches where I'm playing every week."

Rangers' three-match Champions League packages are on sale now priced at £111 for adults and £81 for concessions.

Season ticket holders can still purchase their discounted deal and save £15.

Tickets are on sale from www.rangers.co.uk or by phoning 0871 702 1972. Season ticket holders cannot purchase discounted packages online.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/s...ffin-stock.html

Lafferty speaks well and candidly, you can sense his frustration about the stop start beginning to his Rangers career, he is a player allright and is itching to impress, imo he will be a must pick for the first team sooner rather than later.

Yeh and Scott McDonald doesn't dive does he ............

I can literally see a CH running up behind him and the wee fat bassa falls forward with his knees together and slaps the grass EVERY FUCKIN TIME ...........

I can't yet work out who is the bigger cheat, him or Drogba its a tough call!

Remember when Lennon did it at Easter road,it never got anywhere near this coverage

That was well swept under the carpet, if i remember correctly Lennon recieved no critisim at all for his actions that day.