Davie Weir.

FUDGIE52

Why is it that when Weir has a below par game its because of his age? Does his form only dip because of his age?

No, but, his advancing years also mean that, unfortunately, he WILL begin to lose his ability and effectiveness, which will, at some point, render him unable to perform his role as he once would have. Its not a criticism, its a simple fact. If it wasnt, we would be as well nipping out and resigning Gazza, Albertz.... They have talent, and, if age isnt a factor, sorted ;) Except that it is, and, sadly, thats how it looks at the moment.

There have been more "mistakes" this season so far from him than almost the whole of last season and that before. It appears, on the surface, that it has caught up with him (for me at least). He looks shakier, less composed, and, its not "one game", its the last month or so.

Many have said this season may have been a season too far, and, it sadly does look that way for me. People will bring up his age every time he has a below par or poor performance, because, harsh as it may sound, it IS a factor

It is a factor, but it is not the be all and end all. Every mistake he makes is because of his age. He can't ever just make a mistake like every other player in the team can.

He's not just making mistakes, it is plain to see that he has lost even more pace from last season. We are asking him to play too much.

The sooner Walter gets it into his head that Weir is past it the better,he plays him week in week out.Who cares if we get put out this mickey mouse cup Wilson and the youngsters should have played last night end of.

It is a factor, but it is not the be all and end all. Every mistake he makes is because of his age. He can't ever just make a mistake like every other player in the team can.

Its a bloody big factor though mate. Its not just about "mistakes" which, as you say, all players make, but, his overall play is diminishing. I dont think anyone is having a pop at him, but, its a sad fact of life that people get older and, he doesnt even look like the player he was last year, he looks like he is struggling, which, should really be expected

Ok, I was wrong, it appears "some" are having a pop ;)

I'm not doubting his game has deminished! It really has! But like you see, some people are just having a pop because of his age! EVERY mistake is because of his age according to some people (tu)

Yeah I know mate, but, we also have to realise that, perhaps that actually IS the reason. Or at least a big big factor in it.

Its actually quite an unpleasant/unfortunate situation to be in

Why is it that when Weir has a below par game its because of his age? Does his form only dip because of his age?

I'd say 99% of his mistakes come from his lack of mobility and pace, which is definitely due to his age.

But I know what you're getting at.

The one thing that really annoys me when we play Weir is he forces us to sit too deep.

If we could get another CB who is not slow we could push another 10 yards up the pitch.

Perhaps, a younger, fitter, quicker player? Am almost 99% certain we have at least 1, maybe 2 of those at the club, at the moment :pipe:

The one thing that really annoys me when we play Weir is he forces us to sit too deep.

If we could get another CB who is not slow we could push another 10 yards up the pitch.

Perhaps, a younger, fitter, quicker player? Am almost 99% certain we have at least 1, maybe 2 of those at the club, at the moment :pipe:

Lee McCulloch :ph34r::pipe:

Sadly, yeah, based on the last month :lol:

You know who i mean young man! :P

Sadly, yeah, based on the last month :lol:

You know who i mean young man! :P

I do indeed (tu)

I love big Davie, but it was very sad watching him get burnt time and again yesterday; if QoS had their shooting boots on, we could have lost that match by 2 goals, directly due to him being beaten for pace. It's going to happen sooner rather than later, and it guts me to say that. WS needs to get some cover sorted pronto. If he wants Davie to play on this season, he has to blood the youngsters in order to give the man a rest every few games.

I love big Davie, but it was very sad watching him get burnt time and again yesterday; if QoS had their shooting boots on, we could have lost that match by 2 goals, directly due to him being beaten for pace. It's going to happen sooner rather than later, and it guts me to say that. WS needs to get some cover sorted pronto. If he wants Davie to play on this season, he has to blood the youngsters in order to give the man a rest every few games.

Spot on! (tu)

...I've got a funny feeling about this though & it's that Davie Weir will play over 50 games this season. doh

His age is obviously a factor as he'll take longer to recover from games, slight knocks, injuries, and I doubt he'll train as much, so unless your Ledley King, it's not really ideal.

It's not the one mistake he's made tho, he's made numerous this season so far, and although they have not really cost us, they are still there, and it's only a matter of time before they do.

He's the slowest man in the SPL, our defence and midfield sit far too deep, his distribution is pathetic (his constant long balls are doing no-one a favour), he didders on the ball far too often, he's slack and sloppy, he's losing a lot of balls in the air, his timing in the tackle is getting worse, he's getting shoved around to easily....

One season too far IMO, and a center back is a must in January!

One season too far IMO, and a center back is a must in January!

They had all summer to find a new center back though Muff & that's exactly what they should have done, so (imo) we won't be seeing one in January either. Really makes you wonder why the hell they didn't play Wilson last night & rest Weir for the weekend.

I just cannot believe we went into a season where we were competing on four fronts, with two centre backs, one of them being an over the hill 39 year old?

Relying on Lee McCulloch to come in, when he's clearly not a center back.

The mind boggles. I quite like the look of Rothen, but when we brought someone in who wasn't a center back, most of us must have been speechless (I know I was). It defied common sense. I honestly can't see us bringing in one in January either, which is a pretty devastating thought, since we will undoubtedly be throwing McCulloch in there before playing the likes of Wilson. It's practically written in stone.