Rangers squad - when all are well.

nvager

Well it was a great Sunday when our makeshift team beat Celtic in a "6" pointer. To be only 1 point behind rather than 7 is a BIG deal. Walter and the lads deserve great credit for a wonderful result, great determination, if not fantastic football.

Then perhaps in the not too distant future - say November - we can look forward to having a fairly full squad available again. That means a fully fit Lafferty, Edu, Broadfoot and Thomson. Then what can we expect?

McGregor has regained form and Alexander is a great back-up.

Whittaker will have competition from Broadfoot. That should be an interesting tussle.

Papac seems to have made the LB position his own, but Smith was ok Sunday and Wylde is coming on.

Weir and Bougherra are first choice in the middle, but what happens when Boogie goes off to the Africa Cup of Nations in January? McCulloch will take his place. Broadfoot will also be in the mix. If Weir suddenly loses form or is injured/suspended when Boogie is in Africa what happens? Will Webster be recalled in January? Will Wilson ever get a chance this season? Will we have a Broadfoot, McCulloch pairing at CH?

In midfield we will have an array of choices in Thomson, McCulloch, Edu, Davis, Mendes, Rothen, Naismith, Novo, Fleck and Beasley. We need pace and flair from this group and that has not been delivered in any consistency so far this season. This group need to step up and get going.

Up front we can play Miller, Boyd, Naismith, Novo, Lafferty, Fleck and Little.

We also have other younger players, but they are not likely to feature given the recent squad for the QoS cup tie.

My guess is that Walter will keep the same standard defence, but we really could do with more pace in it and when Boogie leaves for Africa our defence becomes very slow indeed.

In midfield we have two talented players in Davis and Mendes, but both are somewhat inconsistent. Davis in my opinion should be brought into the middle with Mendes, and one of Thomson, McCulloch or Edu, playing in front of the defence, and behind these two players.

We can then add pace and striking ability; three from from Miller, Boyd, Lafferty and Naismith. Novo, Fleck, Rothen and Beasley can be used as substitutes or starters as required.

We need to take the time and blood some younger players. Wilson, Little, Ness, Wylde come to mind. I recognize Fleck has had chances and that Little started Sunday versus Celtic, but surely these players must be given a few minutes near the end of games on a more regular basis especially if we are in a comfortable position? Then if required to start games they will have the confidence of that previous experience.

So all in all we have a limited squad, but roll on November when we should be at or near full strength and can really get going. Competition for places should be at its best and hopefully that will raise our game and we will soon be in a strong position at the top of the SPL.

Title #53 is coming home.

The only area of our squad that really concerns me is centre back, in terms of depth. As you say, when Bougherra is missing it presents us with a big problem.

My big hope is that Edu will be given an opportunity at the back, and I really feel it could well be his long term position. I think he'd be as capable playing there as in the holding role, and I also think it's his best chance of a regular game due to Thomson probably being ahead of him in the pecking order.

Well it was a great Sunday when our makeshift team beat Celtic in a "6" pointer. To be only 1 point behind rather than 7 is a BIG deal. Walter and the lads deserve great credit for a wonderful result, great determination, if not fantastic football.

Then perhaps in the not too distant future - say November - we can look forward to having a fairly full squad available again. That means a fully fit Lafferty, Edu, Broadfoot and Thomson. Then what can we expect?

McGregor has regained form and Alexander is a great back-up.

Whittaker will have competition from Broadfoot. That should be an interesting tussle.

Papac seems to have made the LB position his own, but Smith was ok Sunday and Wylde is coming on.

Weir and Bougherra are first choice in the middle, but what happens when Boogie goes off to the Africa Cup of Nations in January? McCulloch will take his place. Broadfoot will also be in the mix. If Weir suddenly loses form or is injured/suspended when Boogie is in Africa what happens? Will Webster be recalled in January? Will Wilson ever get a chance this season? Will we have a Broadfoot, McCulloch pairing at CH?

In midfield we will have an array of choices in Thomson, McCulloch, Edu, Davis, Mendes, Rothen, Naismith, Novo, Fleck and Beasley. We need pace and flair from this group and that has not been delivered in any consistency so far this season. This group need to step up and get going.

Up front we can play Miller, Boyd, Naismith, Novo, Lafferty, Fleck and Little.

We also have other younger players, but they are not likely to feature given the recent squad for the QoS cup tie.

My guess is that Walter will keep the same standard defence, but we really could do with more pace in it and when Boogie leaves for Africa our defence becomes very slow indeed.

In midfield we have two talented players in Davis and Mendes, but both are somewhat inconsistent. Davis in my opinion should be brought into the middle with Mendes, and one of Thomson, McCulloch or Edu, playing in front of the defence, and behind these two players.

We can then add pace and striking ability; three from from Miller, Boyd, Lafferty and Naismith. Novo, Fleck, Rothen and Beasley can be used as substitutes or starters as required.

We need to take the time and blood some younger players. Wilson, Little, Ness, Wylde come to mind. I recognize Fleck has had chances and that Little started Sunday versus Celtic, but surely these players must be given a few minutes near the end of games on a more regular basis especially if we are in a comfortable position? Then if required to start games they will have the confidence of that previous experience.

So all in all we have a limited squad, but roll on November when we should be at or near full strength and can really get going. Competition for places should be at its best and hopefully that will raise our game and we will soon be in a strong position at the top of the SPL.

Title #53 is coming home.

ffs mate ive just started more or less the same thread as you have at exact same time,although tbh yours is of better quality and more in depth..

can you maybe close mine down,thats weird mate tbh.

Title #53 is coming home. exactly .