Directly comparing Boyd to McCoist

papaguy51

I seem to read this comparison about 100 times every day, yet I've still to understand it.

It appears that the standard defence of Kris Boyd doing nothing but scoring goals is that 'Ally done that as well'.

Now as I've said previously, I didn't get 'properly' into football and/or Rangers until about halfway through the 7IAR season, so I didn't see too much of McCoist first hand. However, from what I've seen, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I ask those fabled members of RM - is it a fair comparison, or is it slightly offensive to a club legend like Super Ally?

Let's not turn this into a Boyd debate, I'm sure we can all be grown up enough for one thread to actually have a discussion regarding Rangers' great enigma.

Well, I hope so anyway.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it's not a fair comparison.

I'm sure we all hoped that Boyd would turn into the new Ally, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will now.

Boyd's contribution other than goalscoring is negligible, that was never true of Ally.

heres to a 70 page thread lol.

anyway as far as i can remember bearing in my mind im only in my mid 20's, when i remember watching Rangers/Scotland, when ally didnt score he didnt look great. However i think ally had slightly more about his game. I am a Boyd fan though so i would say its a fair comparison and i believe if Boyd stays he can match Ally's wonderful record.

To me ally is a legend, Boyd not yet. He is on his way in my eyes

heres to a 70 page thread lol.

anyway as far as i can remember bearing in my mind im only in my mid 20's, when i remember watching Rangers/Scotland, when ally didnt score he didnt look great. However i think ally had slightly more about his game. I am a Boyd fan though so i would say its a fair comparison and i believe if Boyd stays he can match Ally's wonderful record.

To me ally is a legend, Boyd not yet. He is on his way in my eyes

If it turns into a petty Boyd debate, I'll just delete the thread.

Not putting up with another one of those.

They're reasonably similar players, but comparing Boyd to McCoist is like comparing McGregor to Goram. They're just not as good as those that have gone before them, and it's a testament to how far our standards have fallen that we compare them at all.

For a bit of context, I'm another one of the younger ones who only saw McCoist in the flesh in the last 5 years or so of his career, but I've spoken to many older Bears who agree.

edit: Just to clarify I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing them as such, but there is something wrong with suggesting Boyd is as anywhere near as good as McCoist was, or that in the 9 in a row team he'd have been a star.

mcoist was in a different bracket from boyd.

it is true that when boyd fails to score he rarely contributes anything else and as some on here have said before it is literally playing as if we have ten men.

they same cannot be said about super ally,if he didn't score he worked his socks creating space,making runs down the channels and his link up play was good as well especially after hateley joined the ranks.

the only thing that would go in boyds favour is that although ally was a prolific goalscorer throughout his career with rangers that the work rate and link up play was ok at best until hateley arrived when mccoist was in his late 20s.

if you were comparing a 26 yr old boyd with a 26 yr old mccoist then they would have been very similar players.

There is no comparison IMO McCoist was a threat in every game and gave his all in every match. Boyd can score goals against lower level teams but struggles against big teams McCoist scored goals against ever team and he was always a goal threat.

I think Ally had much more to his game. I'm not saying that he was the most skillful, but he did have quick feet, and as the 2 goals above against aberdeen showed, he had the ability to create chances for himself. (tu)

The early McCoist did all his work in the box, he realised that wouldn't cut it tho.

He worked his arse off and became the player he was. I remember boys at school, who didn't go to the games, talking about McCoist only being a goalscorer when he was so much more than that.

His holding up the ball, link-up play, work in the channel's and engine would put most pro's to shame, never mind Boyd.

He was perpetual motion and he made as many goals for himself as he had put on a plate for him.

So yes, IMO it is an insult to compare the player that McCoist turned into with Boyd. A player who seems to lack the conviction to better himself and is quite happy to rest on his goalscoring ratio.

Had Ally taken that option he'd have stayed on the bench as well.

I posted Boyds first 3 year record against McCoist in the byd thread - Boyd is leading!

I was around when McCoist came to Rangers - he was even booed on a number of occasions (in those games he failed to score and contributed 'nothing' else). When Souness came he put McCoist on the bench - main reason was his workrate - 'all' he could do was score. (All sounds familiar eh!) (on a similar note there was this English striker Gary Linekar (yes him) who, while he had great pace, was also critisised a lot at the time as he didn't track back - I remember him saying he didn't do the other grafting as he saved his energy to get into the box to score - he went on to have an OK career as well (Top Goal scorer etc. etc)

Who knows IF Boyd will continue scoring, or even remain with the club. For a while, it was doubful if McCoist would stay, with Souness looking to punt him! Boyd aint yet a McCoist - only time will prove tha -t but certainly there are MORE than enough parallells between the two for them for the comparison to be valid!

McCoist was a harder worker,had better positional sense,and could set up Hateley or Johnston,Drinkel or whoever he was with and could score from anywhere within 30 yards of goal...

Boyd is a good finisher but is never in the same class as McCoist..........If Boyd isn't scoring we're a man down IMO

Firstly Papaguy you have to remember McCoist changed over the years.

I'll agree, it's wrong to compare what McCoist became with Boyd now, especially in the 9IAR era.

But, i'd have to say, the early McCoist, from what i've read, seen in early 80's videos and been told by people then, was like Boyd.

People have to take the two apart in their head, i'll try find some video footage of the early McCoist, they were pretty different, Coisty did just sit in the box like someone else we know (even though he's not actually doing that anymore.)

Mark Hateley even says its. Theres another article by him as well comparing them, can't find it at the minute..

When I arrived in Glasgow to sign for Rangers, Alistair was the Boydy of his day - a striker of questionable work rate who thought he could play for 90 minutes without having to contribute outside the penalty box. But boy did he know where the goals were.

http://www.<No links to this website>/comment/colum...86908-21191819/

Looking at nothing other than goals scored stats is a very narrow-minded way of comparing the two.

But not recognising what his team mate from the time said, is also very narrow-minded.

"I don't give a fuck what Mark Hateley says".

The only , and main , comparison, between boyd and Ally is they have the instinct of how to find that bit of space or lose a defender in the box (although ally was also better at this)

Ally was a better finisher and better with link up play than boyd. Ally was our greatest ever striker though and holds a handful of club records so not that many players would fair well against him comparison wise.

It's unfair to compare the two. McCoist scored against Celtic and in Europe consistantly. It's unfair on Boyd as well. He has his work cut out trying to get a new contract without the added pressure of being compared to rangers' greatest ever goalscorer

But not recognising what his team mate from the time said, is also very narrow-minded.

"I don't give a fuck what Mark Hateley says".

Not recognising something and not caring about something are different things. Nice try though.

Really? I'd say if you 'DIDNT GIVE A FUCK' about what someone says, then you weren't accepting it as a valid part of the debate in your eyes.

Or were you just trying to ignore it because it was valid?

You just have to look at the European Golden Boot in our Trophy Room to find out how different they are.

Again, that comparison would be of the latter day McCoist not the early day.

Like i said, people need to take the two apart as if they were seperate people when it comes to this debate, then you'll see it's valid.