We don't have enough 'proper' footballers in the side at the moment

ScotBear

By 'proper' footballers I mean footballers who are capable of doing the basics under pressure, have decent technical ability, first touch, can find a man with a pass under pressure........etc.

We are not keeping possession well enough. Against SPL sides we should really be enjoying 60% possession most matches, yet we often struggle to keep it 50-50.

Compare our two performances against Stuttgart. Away from home we had 47% possession, achieved a 1-1 draw and played very well. At Ibrox we had only 39% possession, got beaten 2-0 and played very poorly.

The difference for me was that in Stuttgart we had Bougherra, Mendes and Rothen.......3 'proper' footballers. Naismith also seemed to come of age that night but has lost his way since. None of those 3 mentioned started in the home leg and it made a huge difference to our play.

Our possession play needs to improve, we need to start dominating sides by using the ball a lot better. Our 'proper' footballers for me are Bougherra, Wilson, Edu, Mendes, Davis, Rothen and Fleck. If possible, I would try and fit all 7 into the side when fit, at least 5 of them anyway.

All fit, I would actually bring Edu into the back 4 where he often plays for USA. With Bougherra at right back this would take away two problems, namely Whittaker and Weir.

In midfield I would play Davis-Mendes-Thomson-Rothen......and then I would play Fleck behind one of our strikers.

Ok, not much pace in that side, but then we didn't have much pace under Advocaat with the likes of Reyna, Barry, Gio and Albertz in midfield with Mols and De Boer up top........but that side moved the ball around comfortably at pace and their possession play allowed us to dominate sides.

I'm not comparing the current crop to the quality we had under Advocaat, I'm just saying that if we are to deliver a brand of football that is more effective and entertaining, we have to squeeze as many of the technically gifted players we have into the side as possible.

_______________________McGregor

Bougherra__________Edu__________Wilson_________Papac

_________Davis____Mendes______Thomson___Rothen

_________________________Fleck

_________________________Striker

If we are to lift ourselves out of this current boring, ineffective brand of football we're playing...... something along the lines of that side above is what we need to be trying to put out on the park in my opinion.

Why do people continue to persue Edu in defense?

He's a midfielder, why play more players out of position?

I just named 7 players that I feel are of a decent technical ability and used an example of how we could get all 7 into the side.

Edu in midfield....fine by me. However, I understand centre back is a position he knows well, and has played for his former club and currently does for his country. So in my view it's not really 'out of position' for him.

Also, in terms of putting out the strongest 11 possible, Edu in defence means we can punt BOTH Whittaker and Weir....which has to be good news.

Maurice Edu is but one minor aspect of the big picture I highlighting......we simply need to get our more technical players back in the side.

What I would say though is that I'd feel much more comfortable with Edu in defence and Thomson in midfield......than having to endure more of Weir and Whittaker at the back.

Yeah, Edu hasn't even played double figures for club or country in defence whether that be right or centre back.

Maurice Edu is but one minor aspect of the big picture I highlighting......we simply need to get our more technical players back in the side.

What I would say though is that I'd feel much more comfortable with Edu in defence and Thomson in midfield......than having to endure more of Weir and Whittaker at the back.

A back four of; McMillan--Bougherra--Wilson--Papac

Allows the defence to push another 10 yards up the pitch which means the midfielders can push on and suuport the attackers easier.

A back four of; McMillan--Bougherra--Wilson--Papac

Allows the defence to push another 10 yards up the pitch which means the midfielders can push on and suuport the attackers easier.

I am totally in favour of that back four. (tu)

Yeah, Edu hasn't even played double figures for club or country in defence whether that be right or centre back.

Would he be worth a try ahead of Weir/Whittaker though ?

As I say though, where Edu plays is a minor aspect to my point. I feel like I've written out the answer to achieving world peace on purple paper and people are going in a huff because they don't like the colour. :lol:

I'd much rather have Weir than Edu at CB, but I agree with your premise that we don't have enough technically skilled players in the lineup. Getting Mendes/Edu/Thomson fully fit over the next few weeks will improve the team immensely. I think Rothen should get another chance, but I'm not sure that will happen. Fleck has to continue to play in order for him to develop, although it should be up top just off the main striker and not in a flat 4-4-2.

Agree in theory and hope Edu and Mendes fully recover from injury, but that may take a while and Thomson too needs more time.

For now try

McGregor, McMillan, Bougherra, Weir/Wilson and Papac, Winger?/Shinnie, Davis, Ness, Wylde, Fleck and Boyd. Shows you how really poor choices we have and the need for youngsters.

If not you are again looking at playing Whittaker, McCulloch, Lafferty, Thomson, Naismith and Novo who all are very limited. (Thomson not yet match fit.)

At the moment, I think Edu's awareness would let him down, but in time I think that Edu could easily slot in at centre back.

It's not a massive change of position ala McCulloch to centre half or Fleck to left midfield in a defence minded side.

Guys like Chivu, Hierro, Campo, Igor Tudor, Alex Song, Gilberto and even our own Bougherra have shown that playing infront of the back four, and playing in the back four can be easily done if you have the awareness and footballing brain to do it.