Walter Smith: Rangers need to adopt European approach to youth development

zamba

Glasgow Rangers boss Walter Smith has suggested that drastic changes are needed to cultivate quality players for the Scottish champions.

Former Scotland manager Smith told the audience of Sunday's AGM at Ibrox that the club needs to follow the examples of European clubs to get the most out of their Murray Park training facility.

When a shareholder asked why the club had failed to extract a stream of quality home-grown players, Smith indicated that the problem was not just confined to the Glasgow side, but was endemic throughout the country.

"In a recent study the conclusion was that anyone who was going to be any good at anything would, between the ages of 12 and 19, have to put in 10,000 hours of practise," replied Smith.

"We have not been getting that.

"That is what is missing and trying to replicate that has been very difficult for everyone.

"There are not the numbers of players available that there used to be 20, 30 or 40 year ago.

"And we are trying to find a way to work harder to bring those who are available, through.

"We may have to copy French and German ideas where players are taken to hotel-type boarding houses where they are educated and get their football at the same time.

"It is obviously very expensive but we feel that may be the way to get the numbers of hours required," he said.

But Smith was realistic in his assessment of football, and suggesting that it would not be feasible to field a side full of local players and attain success.

"I don't think we will see any club in the world playing half a dozen players in to their first team, but we have introduced a few players and will continue to introduce them."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/461/scotland/2...ean-approach-to

well im sorry walter but if u give guys like shinnie or ness a game instead of lee mcculloch :anguish: we would be be playing much better quicker attacking football

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't think we will see any club in the world playing half a dozen players in to their first team, but we have introduced a few players and will continue to introduce them."

We seen a team with 7 youth products lift the champions league last year. Does Walter not keep up with European football?

It's all down to the mentality of Scottish kids

I blame playstations,cheap nasty alcohol,the turks for introducing the kebab and Charlie Adam for setting a bad example to the young aspiring players out there.

I blame the coaches for constantly picking average players who are 6'2 over brilliant players who are 5'8.

I blame playstations,cheap nasty alcohol,the turks for introducing the kebab and Charlie Adam for setting a bad example to the young aspiring players out there.

I blame the coaches for constantly picking average players who are 6'2 over brilliant players who are 5'8.

^this

Was it Billy Stark that said of Xavi and Iniesta came through the Scottish system they would never have made it :anguish:

^this

Was it Billy Stark that said of Xavi and Iniesta came through the Scottish system they would never have made it :anguish:

we are a nation that trys to breed hammerthrowers for footballers.

that is the true root of the problem.

Bkay i'm sure it was stark (tu)

What i want to know is if he was quizzed why McCulloch always finds a way into the team when its clear to every fan out there he's just not good enough

Or why youngsters like Ness , Shinne are not getting a chance over him ?

What i want to know is if he was quizzed why McCulloch always finds a way into the team when its clear to every fan out there he's just not good enough

Or why youngsters like Ness , Shinne are not getting a chance over him ?

the reply would probs be something along the lines of mcculloch being more physically suited to the scottish game

What happened to murray park? Simple it got fucked the day advocaat left!

Walter wouldnt give youth a chance unless it was forced on him, ala fleck and wilson, hes a fukin dinosaur of a manager who doesnt know how to handle youth development (probably cos his philosiphyof drink toghether win toghether, wont work on under 18s!)

Not only his fault though mcleish was the same, it appears that the youth at the club are there only for show. What a compler waste of 14M murray park was, we should rename it to jurrasic park in reference to the management and board at this club.

Unfortunately ,ive heard from a parent ,who's son is in the mhanky bhoys ,either 13 or 14 years old

That they are going to St Ninnians High,7-30 start time for training ,then education ,light training,lunch ,education ,training , warm down,dinner ,finishes 8-30/9pm

Yes 13/14 hour days ,

Hopefully Rangers dont just talk about this ,if they are implementing it,come on gers get the youth set up running properly

WATP :uk::21: