Personel, pace, width, balance....

Muff

What a difference aye. Who would have thought that by dropping a few cloggers, and going for a bit of pace, width, and balance, it would work ;)

Now I know it was only St. Johnstone we were playing today, and they are absolutely awful, their defence especially, but you can only beat what's infront of you!

Out went Steven Whittaker, and Lee McCulloch, and rightly so. I started a thread a month or so ago whilst McCulloch was out, that showed our performances and results were a hell of a lot better without him, and today we saw that he is one of the major problems. The midfield actually looked like a midfield. The understanding was there, a bit of pace, width and balance. The two central players, Thomson and Davis knew what they were doing - both played well, both got involved, went looking for the ball, linked up, knew when to attack, and when to sit back, kept it simple, and showed glimpses of quality....Kevin Thomson also looked a lot sharper, and knew what position he was playing in - Steven Davis showed why he's the best player in Scotland, and why we cannot afford to lose him, no matter how inconsistant at times he can be - a class act!

The one touch, quick, crips passing was excellent at times, we ran rings around St. Johnstone. Everyone was looknig to get on the ball, and when they did, we looked like scoring. Upfront, Boyd and Miller worked hard, they were looking for the ball, and pulling the opposition out of position - our midfielders were finding them, and it made such a difference. Nacho Novo and Damarcus Beasley were a constant threat going forward, and when they were called upon, they helped at the back aswell.

For once, the right shape was there. Bar a few lapses at the back, the defence was solid. When Bougherra went forward, Broadfoot was there to tuck in, when Weir was caught out, Bougherra, Papac and Broadfoot were there to help out. Broadfoot was solid - a right back should be able to defend firstly IMO, and he did that well today, along with offering an attacking option. He understand's things Steven Whittaker will never be able to!

We created a number of chances and on another day, could have scored 10....

In all, a much better performance. A bit of composure and awarness is required upfront - a win, and a good one at that. It should lift the players, and hopefully we'll continue the good form into the Dundee United game, which will see us return to where we belong.

Walter Smith has to get it right on Tuesday, and that means leaving out McCulloch and Whittaker - there is absolutely no need for McCulloch getting a game :)

Havn't seen the game but yet as soon as i saw our lineup on the sky sports score centre i instantly said 4-0. Not quite right but close enough and if we were as creative as you suggested then that is ideal. No reason not to go in against Dundee United with the same team. Lets attack them.

What a difference aye. Who would have thought that by dropping a few cloggers, and going for a bit of pace, width, and balance, it would work ;)

Now I know it was only St. Johnstone we were playing today, and they are absolutely awful, their defence especially, but you can only beat what's infront of you!

Out went Steven Whittaker, and Lee McCulloch, and rightly so. I started a thread a month or so ago whilst McCulloch was out, that showed our performances and results were a hell of a lot better without him, and today we saw that he is one of the major problems. The midfield actually looked like a midfield. The understanding was there, a bit of pace, width and balance. The two central players, Thomson and Davis knew what they were doing - both played well, both got involved, went looking for the ball, linked up, knew when to attack, and when to sit back, kept it simple, and showed glimpses of quality....Kevin Thomson also looked a lot sharper, and knew what position he was playing in - Steven Davis showed why he's the best player in Scotland, and why we cannot afford to lose him, no matter how inconsistant at times he can be - a class act!

The one touch, quick, crips passing was excellent at times, we ran rings around St. Johnstone. Everyone was looknig to get on the ball, and when they did, we looked like scoring. Upfront, Boyd and Miller worked hard, they were looking for the ball, and pulling the opposition out of position - our midfielders were finding them, and it made such a difference. Nacho Novo and Damarcus Beasley were a constant threat going forward, and when they were called upon, they helped at the back aswell.

For once, the right shape was there. Bar a few lapses at the back, the defence was solid. When Bougherra went forward, Broadfoot was there to tuck in, when Weir was caught out, Bougherra, Papac and Broadfoot were there to help out. Broadfoot was solid - a right back should be able to defend firstly IMO, and he did that well today, along with offering an attacking option. He understand's things Steven Whittaker will never be able to!

In all, a much better performance. A bit of composure and awarness is required upfront - a win, and a good one at that. It should lift the players, and hopefully we'll continue the good form into the Dundee United game, which will see us return to where we belong.

Walter Smith has to get it right on Tuesday, and that means leaving out McCulloch and Whittaker - there is absolutely no need for McCulloch getting a game :)

Absolutely spot on - Hope Walter reads this

The Booler just posted saying the midfield lost all it's shape when Big Lee came on as well.

I don't even need to comment, you know I agree with you.

Hopefully the midfield and especially Kevin Thomson can build on todays performance and carry it into Tuesday night.

Lee McCulloch was horrific when he came on. We lost our shape, he got caught out, he looked for long balls, he gave away fouls, dithered on the ball......just a pointless substitution, and player!

If he start's on Tuesday, then we'll struggle, especially in midfield.

Absolutely spot on. Novo and Beasley gave us what we have been sadly lacking, a bit of pace and width. And who'd have thought it, playing 2 recognised central midfielders in the CM position.......worked :rolleyes:. I've already said today that i'm not sure if Broadfoot is the answer, but he's definitely a much better option at RB than Whittaker. As long as we can take the form into the Utd game, i'll be happy.

Agree with above - nothing more to add. (tu)

But don't you know Big Lee is the midfield enforcer? The man that makes us tick... Aye right!

He is holding us back and you are 100% spot on (tu)

But he's good, because he's well ' ard..... :craphead:

But don't you know Big Lee is the midfield enforcer? The man that makes us tick... Aye right!

He is holding us back and you are 100% spot on (tu)

But he's good, because he's well ' ard..... :craphead:

The only thing hard about him is the 24 hour pinger he keeps tucked up in his shorts :anguish: