Walter and Andy on Little's best position

Boab

The upshot of the “stagnation” Smith spoke of is that younger members of the squad have spotted opportunities to fast-track their graduation to the first team. Besides John Fleck and Danny Wilson, 20-year-old Andrew Little, from Northern Ireland, has skirted around the fringes. He came on as a substitute against Aberdeen at Ibrox in September and started in the 2-1 win over Celtic the following week, only to suffer an early hamstring injury.

He has now recovered and was in the squad that travelled to Seville last week. Smith said: “With Andrew, we’re still trying to work out his best position. He’s played centre-half, centre-forward and wide on the right, and he’s done so for his national side as well. I think he might be a more than decent right-back, and once he’s settled down I think he’ll do well.”

Little said: “What happened in the Old Firm game was extremely frustrating, having finally gotten my chance. But I’m back now, feeling stronger and ready to take the chance again if it comes up. I don’t think any of the younger lads feel out of place in the first team now; we feel part of it and we’re getting a taste.”

There are signs of the times everywhere you look at Rangers these days.

Dec 13 2009 Mark Guidi, Sunday Mail

Andrwe Little is desperate for another crack at the Rangers first team after coming a cropper just SECONDS into his breakthrough game.

The 20-year-old was handed a shock Old Firm start in October but had to limp off almost immediately with a hamstring injury.

He was gutted to miss the rest of the 2-1 win but is fit again and hopes to get another chance soon.

Kids John Fleck and Danny Wilson have featured for the top team recently and Little wants to follow their lead.

The versatile Northern Ireland internationalist said: "I only lasted about two seconds of the Celtic game.

"I sprinted over to close down Zheng Zhi and ended up tearing a hamstring. It was so frustrating.

"But the manager had the faith to start me and that gave my confidence a big boost.

"Standing in the tunnel and running out for the game was great and I was glad I didn't feel overawed.

"Hopefully I'll get another chance and younger players like Danny and John have been featuring recently.

"It's maybe not as big a step up as we thought it might be. We have to believe we'll be able to handle it."

Little arrived from Northern Ireland as a striker but is likely to end up as a right-back at Ibrox.

He wants to settle on a position quickly and said: "I'll need to find my best role in the next year or so.

"This is a big period coming up and I'd love to be playing for Rangers.

"Going out on loan might be something to consider but I'll leave that to the gaffer."

Smith rates the kid and sees him developing into a quality full-back.

The Gers boss said: "The younger players have more of an opportunity now.

"We're still trying to work out Andrew's best position but I think he might be a more than decent right-back."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ra...h-time-1.991794

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21894277/

I watched him in the NI game against Italy I think it was? And he started on the wing but when he moved up front he was very effective and he did a lot better than Healy did when he went up top in a central position

I just find it hard to understand why Smith tries to play just about every player out of position. For a start, especially with players so young and have trained to play in a dedicated slot, it's hard for them to adjust....they are effectively starting from scratch again.

I just wonder how much better we might have played this season if we'd given Little a shot at RM with Novo being Miller's replacement....rather than have Novo playing RM/LM.

“With Andrew, we’re still trying to work out his best position. He’s played centre-half, centre-forward and wide on the right, and he’s done so for his national side as well. I think he might be a more than decent right-back, and once he’s settled down I think he’ll do well.”

<cr>

Andy Little is a striker, not a RB!

Guest johngers
I think it's embarrassing that Walter doesn't have a clue what position Little plays, so he's trying to shoehorn him into a RB.

Little doesn't seem to know his best position either.

I think it's embarrassing that Walter doesn't have a clue what position Little plays, so he's trying to shoehorn him into a RB.

Little doesn't seem to know his best position either.

Little will know his best position is as suggested here, but Walter thinks otherwise and that's worrying. Lee McCulloch mark 2 on the cards :anguish:

"We're still trying to work out Andrew's best position but I think he might be a more than decent right-back."

To be honest in this situation I think the criticism on Walter is a bit unfair, I think Hutton started as a CB, and became a right back, McGregor started his life as a striker, ok that was mainly in his school days, but he isn't the first youngster to go through this type of transition and he certainly won't be the last, irrespective of what team they play for and who the manager might be.

To be honest in this situation I think the criticism on Walter is a bit unfair, I think Hutton started as a CB, and became a right back, McGregor started his life as a striker, ok that was mainly in his school days, but he isn't the first youngster to go through this type of transition and he certainly won't be the last, irrespective of what team they play for and who the manager might be.

Hutton started as a centre forward mate ;)

As for the hideous over reaction here, which, appears little more than another excuse to have a dig at Smith!

The player himself states

He wants to settle on a position quickly and said: "I'll need to find my best role in the next year or so.

So, HE doesnt know, Smith has a feeling where he may be best suited.

Wheres the fucking problem????

As for the hideous over reaction here, which, appears little more than another excuse to have a dig at Smith!

Yep, was partly my thinking, :D

did Hutton go from Centre Forward to Centre Back, then right back?

The problem is that this provides us with an easy and conveniant oppertunity to have a go at Walter! It's his fault that Little hasn't played 50 games up front and score 50 goals!

Also Sasa was a CB when he came here.

Very well said (tu)

I've only ever seen the boy play upfront, or wide on the right for NI and he's actually played well in those positions. He played wide on the right against St Mirren in the Scottish cup last year aswell. He has a bit of pace, perhaps that is what Smith sees in him that could make him a good RB. I'd say we see what he's like there before we write him off and start blaming Smith :sherlock:

Yep, was partly my thinking, :D

did Hutton go from Centre Forward to Centre Back, then right back?

indeed matey

I've only ever seen the boy play upfront, or wide on the right for NI and he's actually played well in those positions. He played wide on the right against St Mirren in the Scottish cup last year aswell. He has a bit of pace, perhaps that is what Smith sees in him that could make him a good RB. I'd say we see what he's like there before we write him off and start blaming Smith :sherlock:

Thats just so crazy it might work (tu):sherlock:

Walter will play his as a RB - we all know it.

He's a striker or a right-winger.

How do you know for sure when the player himself doesnt? :pierre:

You're forgetting that the members of RM know more than Walter and the team could ever dream of knowing.

Ah, my bad. I was hoping for a more scientific explanation though Kev ;)

Walter will play his as a RB - we all know it.

He's a striker or a right-winger.

How do you know for sure when the player himself doesnt? :pierre:

You're forgetting that the members of RM know more than Walter and the team could ever dream of knowing.

Ah, my bad. I was hoping for a more scientific explanation though Kev ;)

Walter = Rubbish

Rm=Better

QED

:lol:

Pre season against Portsmouth, Little was awful at RB. Every time Kranjcer went near him, he got done.

Was one of his first appearances though? In a "meaningless game", against a very good player who would have done hte same to Broadfoot and Whittaker?