Not good enough to help the hoops in spl levein to . .

BLUEDIGNITY

. . be offered second prize joab, leader of the tartan trannies :

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/scot...86908-21903460/

:sherlock:

GORDON Smith has launched his bid to make Craig Levein the new Scotland manager by officially requesting to speak to Dundee United.

Record Sport can reveal the SFA chief executive made contact with Tannadice chairman Stephen Thompson yesterday to begin the process of trying to tempt No.1 target Levein out of Tayside and into the vacant Hampden hotseat.

Thompson asked for time to consider Smith's request but is likely to give his answer in the next 24 hours.

And if Levein expresses an interest in listening to what Smith has to offer then Thompson is unlikely to turn down the request - even though he is desperate to hang on to the man who is widely regarded as the best young managerin the Scottish game.

We first broke the news back on November 17, after George Burley's sacking, that Levein and Walter Smith were the SFA's top targets.

But Ibrox boss Smith has repeatedly made it clear he has no interest in returning for a second stint in charge of the national side and this has now been reluctantly accepted by the game's top brass, who had ordered their chief exec to find out if there was any hope of talking him into a change of heart.

That leaves Levein as the one remaining outstanding candidate although a back-up plan has also been drawn up from an original list of around 20 options.

Aspart of the process of hunting down Burley's successor, Gordon Smith is likely to make more calls in the coming days to assess which of these others might yet be secured if Levein can't be landed.

Smith would not only have to strike a deal with United for compensation but also convince the former Leicester and Hearts boss a move into the international set-up is in the best interests of his own career - and that might be the hardest part of all.

Levein will demand to be given the power to conduct his own top-to-bottom appraisal of coaching in this country and the authority to overhaul a failing system.

That might jar with Smith who has his own ideas on how to fix the Scottish game from grass-roots level.

To further complicate the SFA's bid, Levein will also expect to be offered a far more lucrative pay packet than Burley's £300,000-a-year deal.

It's likely Smith would have to find a further £200,000 a year to convince Levein to take on the responsibility of attempting to lead Scotland out of the wilderness and end what will be a 14-year absence from major finals by the time the next Euros come around in the summer of 2012.

Hope he doesn't get the job but it's looking increasingly likely.

Why?

He's just not one of the few I would have given the job too.

I suppose we could do a lot worse, but I'm just not convinced he'll do a good job. To be fair, I suppose he can't do any worse than Burley.

The upside with Levein is that he knows the Scottish game, has history of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear and his teams are hard to beat. Leicester City is the obvious "failure" in his career, but hey ho.

In the same vein I'm not sure that what makes a good manager at Celtic or Rangers is really what makes a good manager of Scotland.

If I was Tartan Army though, I'd still rather Joe Jordan got the gig

I wouldn't be too bothered by Levein.

He'll give the young lads a chance, he'll try to play football when he can and he'll go route one when he has to.

Hopefully, it means no more weird call-ups for 32 year olds like Callum Davidson who hasn't played for Scotland for three years.

Evening Times staff

Published on 17 Dec 2009

CRAIG LEVEIN will be named the new Scotland boss – if he wants the job.

The SFA have asked Dundee United for permission to speak to their manager over the vacant position, and were today awaiting a response from chairman Stephen Thompson, writes Thomas Jordan.

As revealed in SportTimes on November 16, Levein has been the favoured choice at Hampden since George Burley was axed in the wake of the doomed World Cup 2010 qualification campaign.

Levein has been the No.1 target after it was quickly established that Walter Smith was not interested in returning to the international fold.

The SFA – who were paying Burley around £380,000 a year – hope to convince Levein the time is right for him to become national boss.

They have the funds in place to offer him a lucrative wage – he is thought to be on around £270,000 a year at Tannadice – and it is believed there is a compensation fee written into his contract that they will happily meet.

Then, it will be up to Levein. If he wants the job it will be his.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor...nd-job-1.992845

I wouldn't be outraged at Levein but would prefer John Collins :)

I dont get it... Gordon smith says we have a high calibre of applicants for the position including foreign managers... and WE approach a scottish manager... typical, cheap, easy way out doh

Smoke and mirrors.

For a young manager, taking the Scotland job is suicide. You cannot possibly come out of it with your reputation intact and it will hurt your chances of getting a big job in the future.

It's an old man's job. (tu)

Mcleish did alright

Strangely, I believe that top jobs should be given to someone who has evidence of success and to have won something,rather than yet another who talks the talk but who failed when out of the small league comfort zone, and so far has achieved nothing in Scotland unless 5th out of 12 is a success.

However, as long as he doesn't come here, I don,t care.