OK looking good - now here is a tactical question...

Bluepeter9

OK settleld team currently looks like:

McGregor (Alexander)

Broadfoot Bougherra (Wilson - due to ACON) Weir Papac

Davis Thomson

Beasley Miller Boyd Novo

Obviously at moment if Thomson is fit he starts and his stand in is lee.

When Edu comes back he would certainly be in front of Lee for that position - but should he be infront of Thomson - my opinion is NO.

Now if Mendes is fit what happens ?

1. Davis has been playing really well in CM. Do we drop Beasley (and lose width) - and put Davis right.

2. Drop Novo and put Beasley left in option 1?

3. Dont play Mendes

I think if Mendes if fit Walter will play him but accomodating him will change our shape and Davis will go back out right and we will lose width and revert to the flatter midfiled.

I think if we keep playing like this Mendes should stay out for the shape of the team.

What say you?

If it's not broke don't fix it.

If we are going to play 4-4-2 it has to be with 2 wide men and at this minute Beasley and Novo are providing that as our recent results and performances show. Steven Davis is a CM and he has shown just how influential he can be by playing there.

Mendes won't be back for a good few weeks yet so he is out of the picture for a while yet. Thomson looks like he will be out of action for a few games so that leaves Lee McCulloch, Steven Davis and an unfit Maurice Edu to play CM. McCulloch is not my cup of tea but with Edu only returning I would go with him. But then when the ACON comes around I expect McCulloch to fill in at CB and this will free up a space in midfield for Edu. But will he be match fit for such a hectic run of games?

The players who have contributed to our recent run deserve to stay in the team. Davis is an absolute must as a CM so that will leave McCulloch, Thomson, Edu and Mendes battling it out for another CM place.

Walter must keep his new, yet old 2-3-5 formation to succeed,which means any returnees (Edu,Mendes etc) cannot alter a winning system,and if they

want back in the team,they will have to work their butts off to replace anyone in our present mid-field,which is got to be music to any Rangers fans ears. :thumbup:

Thomson gets dropped in favour of Mendes. Everything else stays as is -- including Novo. His workrate was evident today -- as always tbh. Not the greatest player, but in the lats 2 matches, he has been oustanding.

The thing with Edu is we will need him for January. Bougherra will be away, Mendes will still be out and Thomson looks like he could be out for a few weeks.

We will need Edu in CM and with Steven Davis attracting interest from the EPL the sooner he is back fit and available the better.

Walter must keep his new, yet old 2-3-5 formation to succeed,which means any returnees (Edu,Mendes etc) cannot alter a winning system,and if they

want back in the team,they will have to work their butts off to replace anyone in our present mid-field,which is got to be music to any Rangers fans ears. :thumbup:

Spot on mate. One of our issues was there was no one to fight for places... Complacency and all that. Now we have players fit again, our levels have picked up. Not a coincidence in my book.

Thomson gets dropped in favour of Mendes. Everything else stays as is -- including Novo. His workrate was evident today -- as always tbh. Not the greatest player, but in the lats 2 matches, he has been oustanding.

Thomson and Lee have been playing as the holding midfileder and doing well in breaking up play and allowing Davis a free role - I feel that Mendes needs the free role and that would leave Davis to do the holding role, which seems a waste so I dont think a straight Thomson/Mendes swap works - or at least it would not preserve the way we are playing .

Spot on mate. One of our issues was there was no one to fight for places... Complacency and all that. Now we have players fit again, our levels have picked up. Not a coincidence in my book.

Yes it is great to have competition but Mendes is 'different' to Thomson/Edu/Lee and thus playing him would (IMHO) mean a change in tactics and formation.

I reckon Mendes will be played off the main striker (sort of 4411 behind either miller/boyd) and hopefully edu will be in for thompson- he just doesnt look fit enough

So if he plays of the front you are saying drop either Miller or Boyd (22 goals so far between them and a real good partnership?) - That would break that partnership up and Mendes, while he may chip in with some goals, would not even have Millers strike rate - so I think to accomodate Mendes you would have to drop a wide player - let us know how youd set up and what 11 youd pick to accomodate Mendes.

If it aint broke don't fix it. If we are going to continue with this 4-4-2 then its a toss-up between Edu/Thomson and Davis/Mendes for the starting berths. Changing the team to accomodate one player returning from injury shouldn't happen

If it aint broke don't fix it. If we are going to continue with this 4-4-2 then its a toss-up between Edu/Thomson and Davis/Mendes for the starting berths. Changing the team to accomodate one player returning from injury shouldn't happen

Even though people on here have hapily called for it to happen when Lafferty, Thomson, Broadfoot & Bougherra returned from injury?

When Mendes plays for the national team he plays in a deeper position behind an attacking midfielder he doesn't play directly behind strikers. If there were to be any changes it would be either KT or McCulloch dropped for Mendes or Edu, but only when those two are fit enough to play, until then they should remain on the bench and get 20/30 minute run outs to build up there match fitness, or alternatively either of them do start and are subbed themselves when starting to look tired.

Even though people on here have hapily called for it to happen when Lafferty, Thomson, Broadfoot & Bougherra returned from injury?

The things with guys like Broadfoot and Bougherra was that we were struggling in defence when they were out and have made a difference. Our midfield is its best football since last season before KT's injury

Thomson and Lee have been playing as the holding midfileder and doing well in breaking up play and allowing Davis a free role - I feel that Mendes needs the free role and that would leave Davis to do the holding role, which seems a waste so I dont think a straight Thomson/Mendes swap works - or at least it would not preserve the way we are playing .

Mendes is more suited to the holdin role imo, hes played there with portugal and has played pretty well.