Rothen may have to stay

Muff

RANGERS could have to pay £350,000 to offload winger Jerome Rothen next month, writes Martin McMillan.

The Frenchman has made it clear he wants to rip up his loan deal with the Ibrox side five months early after falling out of favour with Walter Smith.

However, Rothen’s club Paris Saint-Germain have told him he must stay in Scotland. He has 18 months left on a £36,000-a-week deal with Tony Kombouare’s side.

A PSG spokesperson said yesterday: “Jerome Rothen has a loan arrangement with Rangers until the end of the season and the terms of that deal have not changed.

“If the player wishes to leave Rangers or the club no longer want him then that is a concern for Jerome and Rangers, not us.”

Koumbouare, when asked if he would take Rothen back, said: “The player wants to leave Paris Saint-Germain and as far as I know he’s still with Rangers.”

Rangers, who are £31m in the red, are believed to be paying around half of Rothen’s salary – the fourth highest at PSG – and are bound to continue to do so until he leaves Glasgow.

With 19 weeks left on his loan, Rothen is due make £342,000 from Rangers between now and the summer, not including win bonuses.

Rothen hasn’t featured for Rangers since he was taken off midway through their embarrassing 4-1 defeat to Romanian side Unirea Urzceni in October and it has been made clear that he is surplus to requirements at the club.

The only get-out for the Ibrox side, however, is if the player’s wishes of returning to France are granted by another club prepared to the £750,000 transfer fee PSG want for him.

Lowly French sides Grenoble, Sochaux and Boulogne were said to be keen on taking Rothen but only if the player took a substantial drop in salary to leave PSG, leaving it likely that Rangers will be forced to keep him on their books until the summer.

It is believed Rothen was given permission by Rangers to return to France for three weeks to rest with his family last month over fears he had contracted swine flu, although doctors later diagnosed the illness as another virus.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ra...-ibrox-1.993939

I'd like to know where the Gherald picked these figures form?

I thought it was well known that Rangers were not paying anywhere near £15-18k a week for Jerome Rothen?

Guest SandyWaTp

I thought it was well known that Rangers were not paying anywhere near £15-18k a week for Jerome Rothen?

Probably nonsense (tu)

WTF we took him in the first place is beyond me. D Weir is faster than him!

With Smith's new found fondness with actually playing players in their correct positions, the lad may still be able to do a job for us if he gets fit!

Or am I the only one that thinks that??

Don't know if Walter Smith fancies him. He seem's to have had the flu for a long time, and he was not fit at the time, so I'd hate to see the shape he is in right now, and how long it would take for him to get back on track.

I doubt we will ever see him in a Rangers jersey again.

I am sure that I read that PSG were desperate to get him away from the squad and were happy to pay his basic wages as long as he was at another club. This was the reason that we, a cash strapped club and not allowed to spend a penny more on wages, could get him.

It seems to me that we simply don't do our homework properly on players like Rothen. Reads like he has a great track record but from what I've seen of him totally unsuited to not only Scottish football but our team more specifically. Even in the CL where we really hoped he would shine he looked horribly out of his depth. Now we are stuck with him, sadly not a new phenomena over the years at Rangers.

I'd rather keep him

Id keep him, look at the turn around Beasley has made, he is going to have to adjust to the scottish game and id like to see him given a chance again, you lot were all raving over him after the game in stuttgart.

It's like Bristol with Velicka, a loan agreement can't just be broken because the move has gone horribly wrong.

While he's still here i'd like to see him given a chance in his proper position when and if appropriate i.e. injury problems or other people losing form. Walter Smith seems to have given up on him very easily, and has he really been ill for this long?

With Smith's new found fondness with actually playing players in their correct positions, the lad may still be able to do a job for us if he gets fit!

Or am I the only one that thinks that??

Don't know if Walter Smith fancies him. He seem's to have had the flu for a long time, and he was not fit at the time, so I'd hate to see the shape he is in right now, and how long it would take for him to get back on track.

I doubt we will ever see him in a Rangers jersey again.

He might get a few games here and there if we get a lot of injuries/suspensions.

He certainly won't command such a high salary in his next club. He simply isn't worth it.

I'd rather keep him

Id keep him, look at the turn around Beasley has made, he is going to have to adjust to the scottish game and id like to see him given a chance again, you lot were all raving over him after the game in stuttgart.

Spot on.

And the highlighted part shows what a short memory most on this board has. :)