UEFA give Boyd proper credit for breaking record

laudrupforever

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/ki...d&att=index

Kris Boyd reflected on "the best night of his Rangers career" after the striker registered five times in his side's 7-1 win against Dundee United FC to surpass Henrik Larsson's Scottish Premier League (SPL) goalscoring record.

Next target

Boyd started the game three adrift of Larsson's tally of 158, which the Swede set in sevens seasons at Celtic FC, but a first-half hat-trick followed by two more after the break helped him set a new benchmark in style. Although the former Barcelona FC and Manchester United FC forward is still ahead of Boyd in terms of top-flight goals having scored 16 in 1997/98, the season before the SPL was formed, at 26 years old the Rangers man has plenty of time to overhaul that mark as well.

'Greedy'

"I am delighted to get past Henrik's record," said Boyd, who mimicked Larsson's famous 'tongue out' celebration when he scored his fourth – and record-breaking – goal. "To get past someone like Henrik is a great achievement and one I am very proud of. It was my best night as a Rangers player but I am greedy and I want more."

Celtic challenge

Boyd, who also equalled his own record of being the only player to score five goals in a single SPL match, is now setting his sights on adding to his total against Larsson's former club on Sunday. The ex-Kilmarnock FC man has now plundered eleven goals in the last six games, but irrespective of who gets on the scoresheet, the striker says league leaders Rangers are full of belief ahead of the trip to Celtic Park.

'Confidence'

"We've shown in the last four or five games that we are playing with confidence," added Boyd. "Hopefully, we'll get three points against Celtic and go ten points ahead. If I score that's a bonus. It doesn't matter who scores; it's about winning and we're doing that right now. I'm just looking forward to the game."

Better article and headline than the shiter that BBC went for. :shifty: