In Rememberence of the 66

It is important to remember, amidst the scenes of celebration and hope at this time of year, the events of January 2nd 1971. After a Colin Stein equaliser in the last few minutes of the game a rush of fans trying to get back into the ground resulted in the collapse of Staircase 13 and caused the death of 66 Rangers supporters, young and old.

So please take a moment to remember those Rangers fans who never made it home to their families that day. Who died watching their beloved football team on the slopes of Ibrox Park. Since then we have developed one of the most fantastic grounds in world football, a blend of old and modern. And it is in the memory of the 66 that Ibrox Stadium proudly stands nowadays.

And so must we.

To Absent Friends whom we have all lost over the years, we will never forget them. :cheers:

180px-Johngreig.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent post mate, and we are all celebrating new year, i hope alot of bears are remembering the 66! i am only 21 myself, my old man speaks of the disaster, i try and immerse myself in our history and it makes my love for us stronger....... what a club...... what a family...... im now going to pour a drink for our 66 absent friends

really heart felt, yes im blitzed, but really is heart felt !!!!!! well done BITC

Just learned about the 1971 Ibrox Disaster when seeing this thread, and it was truly a tragic day when those 66 including one woman died.

RIP and to the memories of those 66 absent friends.

Just learned about the 1971 Ibrox Disaster when seeing this thread, and it was truly a tragic day when those 66 including one woman died.

There is information on this event in the RM Rangers FC Museum section.

As someone who was on stairway 13 on that fateful day i have to point out the misconception that the disaster was caused by fans trying to get back in after Colin Steins equaliser, the tragedy happened a full 15 or 20 minutes after the final whistle and was caused by barriers giving way probably by some unfortunate person falling and causing the resulting crush. My thoughts as always at this time are with the surviving relatives of the 66, R.I.P.

As someone who was on stairway 13 on that fateful day i have to point out the misconception that the disaster was caused by fans trying to get back in after Colin Steins equaliser, the tragedy happened a full 15 or 20 minutes after the final whistle and was caused by barriers giving way probably by some unfortunate person falling and causing the resulting crush. My thoughts as always at this time are with the surviving relatives of the 66, R.I.P.

Yes all the fans that died or were injured were heading in the same direction towards the exit. The Colin Stein theory was disproved but remains part of the story of events.

There is information on this event in the RM Rangers FC Museum section.

Oh, ok. I googled it up. I also saw two YouTube clips of the Remember the 66.

To our 66 lost brothers & sisters i say 'Rest In Peace'.

To my friend who still grieves for the loss of his father i say 'we will never forget him'.

To Absent Friends, may they live long in the memory.

It is important to remember, amidst the scenes of celebration and hope at this time of year, the events of January 2nd 1971. After a Colin Stein equaliser in the last few minutes of the game a rush of fans trying to get back into the ground resulted in the collapse of Staircase 13 and caused the death of 66 Rangers supporters, young and old.

So please take a moment to remember those Rangers fans who never made it home to their families that day. Who died watching their beloved football team on the slopes of Ibrox Park. Since then we have developed one of the most fantastic grounds in world football, a blend of old and modern. And it is in the memory of the 66 that Ibrox Stadium proudly stands nowadays.

And so must we.

To Absent Friends whom we have all lost over the years, we will never forget them. :cheers:

180px-Johngreig.jpg

Good to see this thread and to ensure very Bear remembers the disaster of 71. However, it's not just them, there are other commemerated on the memorial. Two killed in 61 and 26 others in 1902 are also commemerated.

One other thing and I'm not trying to be picky. The theory that it was caused by Colin Stein's equaliser has been found to be untrue. Two subsequent investigations clarified that the crush did not start until 10-15m after the game, most probably because someone slipped and all hell broke loose subsequently. The old wooden rails at the side of the staircase were found to be largely responsible for the crush because they effectively penned everyone in going down the staircase. They were modified soon after the 71 disaster.

So while we remember I hope this also educated some younger Bears.