Players returning from injury

Muff

NACHO NOVO could be fit to return to the Rangers starting line up as soon as this Sunday when the Light Blues face Hamilton in the Scottish Cup.

The Spanish striker had to go off after just 13 minutes of the weekend draw at Celtic after a collision with home player Georgios Samaras.

Novo suffered a thigh injury and after heavy internal bleeding, it was thought he'd be out for the next two or three weeks.

But while he hasn't yet returned to training, the knock isn't as bad as was first feared and he could yet find himself included in the squad that goes to Accies five days from now.

That would come as a huge boost to manager Walter Smith, who is already without a number of other key players.

Steven Naismith, DaMarcus Beasley and Pedro Mendes have all been injured lately while Madjid Bougherra is away preparing for the African Cup of Nations.

But there's further good news for Smith as Kevin Thomson has now resumed full training after a calf injury and he'll be available for the game at New Douglas Park too.

The Gers boss said: "Kevin is one who I'd hope will be fit for the weekend and Nacho has a chance.

"It looked like a bad knock in the thigh for him at the weekend but the physiotherapists have been working hard on it.

"As such, there may now be an opportunity for him to play after all this weekend after it seemed he might be out.

"As for the rest, we'll need to wait and see. DaMarcus and Pedro are both coming along well and we're hopeful of having a couple of players back."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/article...2254024_1923868

Good news, although I won't believe it until I see him back in the side. DaMarcus Beasley said he would not be out for 2-3 weeks, and it look's like he will - our luck with injuries, and players returning is horrendous.

Although, in the next few weeks, we should hopefully have Novo, Thomson, Naismith, Mendes, Beasley, all back, along with Broadfoot, and Edu getting more minutes under their belt, which can only be a good thing. Hopefully Madjid Bougherra returns injury free - Algeria getting pumped in every match is something I also hope for.

We need everyone fit, and available for what is going to be a massive 5 months, and hopefully we don't suffer anymore injuries.

Good news on Novo. He was playing well and chipping in with a few goals and assists. The same applies for Beasley. The sooner these two are bacl the better.

Kevin Thomson justs keeps on picking up injury after injury which is expected after recpvering from that serious knee injury. The same thing will probably happen with Edu.

And as for Naismith. Such a promising start to the season and then he picks up an injury, loses form and picks up more injuries. Even when he dies get fit he should find himself on the bench until someone loses form or picks up an injury.

When we have a fully squad we do not have a bad choice. Especially in midfield with Davis, Mendes, Edu, Thomson, Beasley... but it will take some luck and good fortune to get all the players back fully fit and on form.

I wouldn't have Kevin Thomson anywhere near the team until he is 100% fit, and I would still be careful with him. IMO, he is alway's going to struggle with injuries, and his career will be very stop-start.

Hopefully Novo and Beasley will return, and hit it off pretty quickly, because with them in the team, we were playing some cracking stuff, and we actually looked like a proper footballing side with pace, width, balance.....

Not too bothered on Naismith, don't like him out on the right or left, certainly not in the centre of midfield, and if he is to get a game then it should be upfront. I don't think he will ever make it at Rangers.

It will be interesting to see what formation, and personel we go with when Davis, Thomson, Mendes, Edu, McCulloch, Novo and Beasley are all fit. Hopefully it does not mean Steven Davis being shunted out onto the right.

If we are to play a 4-4-2 when everyone is fit then Steven Davis is an automatic pick in CM. It would be between Mendes, Edu, Thomson and McCulloch to battle it out for the other CM place.

Or a 4-3-3 with Davis--Edu--Thomson and Beasley and Novo supporting the striker. When we have everyone fit we can have so many different options so the sooner everyone is back the better.

When Beasley and Novo are both fit I would be very surprised and seriously worried about Walter's tactics when it showed how good we could play with these two players starting and Davis in the middle. If all fit and match fit at that I would rather have a midfield of Novo, Edu, Davis and Beasley.

Agree about Naismith, unless we are playing 3 out and out strikers then he shouldn't be played on the wings so to me he would only be cover for Miller or Boyd.

If we are to play a 4-4-2 when everyone is fit then Steven Davis is an automatic pick in CM. It would be between Mendes, Edu, Thomson and McCulloch to battle it out for the other CM place.

Or a 4-3-3 with Davis--Edu--Thomson and Beasley and Novo supporting the striker. When we have everyone fit we can have so many different options so the sooner everyone is back the better.

4-3-3 would mean dropping Miller, and the Miller Boyd partnership is working, so no need to do so. Boyd needs someone alongside him.

Keep it they way it is, if it means leaving someone like Edu/Mendes out, then that is the way it goes. Just because they are one of our better players, shouldn't mean we change things around just to fit them in. You have to look at what is happening, and what is working.

Beasley - Davis - McCulloch/Mendes/Edu/Thomson - Novo

Boyd - Miller

For me until is stops working.

Guest therabbitt
I wouldn't have Kevin Thomson anywhere near the team until he is 100% fit, and I would still be careful with him. IMO, he is alway's going to struggle with injuries, and his career will be very stop-start.

You're right there, I was chatting to a mate about this at the weekend. I don't think we will see Thomson getting a prolonged run of games at any time during his career.

It's a shame but we are in the luxurious position that when all are fit we have a real depth of talent in the middle of the park.

You're right there, I was chatting to a mate about this at the weekend. I don't think we will see Thomson getting a prolonged run of games at any time during his career.

It's a shame but we are in the luxurious position that when all are fit we have a real depth of talent in the middle of the park.

Along with having both Jordan McMillan and Jamie Ness.

Hopefully we can hang onto Steven Davis for years to come, along with Maurice Edu staying injury free, and showing the kind of form he did towards the end of last season.

Guest therabbitt

Along with having both Jordan McMillan and Jamie Ness.

Hopefully we can hang onto Steven Davis for years to come, along with Maurice Edu staying injury free, and showing the kind of form he did towards the end of last season.

I suppose it's important also that in that area of the park, we have players that can perform different jobs suitable to different roles and tactics - be it attacking and creating (Davis, Mendes, Fleck), battling (McCulloch, Edu, Thomson), breaking up play and playing a short pass (Edu, Thomson) etc etc...

I had actually forgotten about Fleck in the centre as well, even though some people think he's a striker.

I'd rather see John Fleck upfront alongside Kris Boyd than in the middle of the park.

Guest therabbitt
I had actually forgotten about Fleck in the centre as well, even though some people think he's a striker.

I'd rather see John Fleck upfront alongside Kris Boyd than in the middle of the park.

Absolutely, he could cover for Miller more than adequately up top. I put him in the central midfielder bracket as he could perform well in the 'hole' or just off a central striker. Whether that is deemed a striker or midfielder is semantics (tu)

Guest therabbitt
I wish we'd kept Aaron to occupy one of the wide roles we're playing with now.

Absolutely tailor-made for the wee man!

Yeah, it's a real shame the way that has worked out actually. He'd have been a screamer wide! Not that everyone wasn't screaming that he should be played there...

And as for Naismith. Such a promising start to the season and then he picks up an injury, loses form and picks up more injuries. Even when he dies get fit he should find himself on the bench until someone loses form or picks up an injury.

He is absolutely terrible. It may not be popular, but it's true. He is crap.

Novo and Davis should return this Saturday.

STEVEN DAVIS and Nacho Novo should return to action this weekend when Rangers play Hamilton once again at New Douglas Park.

Davis limped out of the 3-3 Scottish Cup draw with Accies on Sunday because of a dead leg but is recovering well from the knock.

And Novo, who suffered a similar problem in his thigh after colliding with Georgios Samaras during the Old Firm derby on January 3, is making good progress too.

Each man is making strides and at a time when Walter Smith's squad is being stretched to the limit, he's pleased he'll be able to turn to both men again soon.

The manager said: "The thigh knock Steven took at the weekend was quite similar to Nacho's at the start of the month when we played Celtic.

"But while I would hope we will have Nacho back at the weekend, we should also have Steve in the team too.

"He has always been a quick healer and hasn't been bothered too much by injury since he came here.

"We're still waiting for it to settle a bit more but I would be optimistic he'll be fine for Saturday. We'll wait and see."

While there's good news on Davis and Novo, it seems Smith will have to wait a little longer before he has some other first-team crocks back in contention.

Steven Naismith has been sidelined recently while Pedro Mendes has been missing since October with a knee problem.

Although both men should be back in Gers shirts before the month is out, the trip back to Accies and the cup replay at Ibrox next Tuesday are both coming too soon for them.

Smith conceded: "I don't think we'll be seeing either of them over the next couple of games.

"For both players, we're looking at a situation where they're probably going to be out and I think these matches might be a bit early for them."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/article...2254024_1930297

No mention of Beasley.

Our players must get sucked into a vortex at Murray Park and no one knows anything about them.

Naismith and Beasley should have been OK by now going by reports I have read and what I have read from the Rangers website. Even Beasley said himself on that twitter that he would be back within a week, and that was 2 weeks ago! <cr>