The Ally McCoist Complex opened by Ally today

Boab

Video: http://news.stv.tv/video/stv-news-at-six-central-20100106/ - Around 20 minutes in (tu)

05 Jan 2010

Ally McCoist Complex officially opens this week

The £3.5m Alistair McCoist Complex in East Kilbride, Scotland, is to be officially opened this week.

Despite opening its doors in April last year, the centre will be officially opened by its namesake, the Rangers and Scotland football player Ally McCoist, on Wednesday (6 January).

The centre features eight games courts – used for five-a-side football, badminton, volleyball, basketball, handball and mini-volleyball – an outdoor 3G five-a-side pitch, a community room and changing areas.

The project, built on the site of St Andrew’s High School, was funded by South Lanarkshire Council and built by NEL Construction.

http://www.leisureopportunities.co.uk/LOem...FTOKEN=79406520

Mar 18 2009 by David Wynn, East Kilbride News

A new community sports centre in East Kilbride is to be named after Rangers legend and former Calderwood resident, Ally McCoist.

The News can reveal that the impressive complex, which is on the former site of St Andrew’s High School, will be called the Alistair McCoist Sports Centre.

McCoist, 46, who is now assistant manager at Rangers, was born and bred in the town, attending Hunter High and honing his football skills at local side Calderwood Blue Star.

Council bosses are remaining tight-lipped about the centre’s new name, but it is believed it will be officially announced in the next few weeks, with McCoist expected to perform the opening ceremony in early summer.

Councillor Jim Docherty, who has long campaigned for a sports centre in the Whitehills area, told the News: “I believe this is one of the options being considered and, if it was to be named after Ally McCoist, then I would be delighted.

“I think he is a true ambassador for East Kilbride and he has clearly never forgotten his roots.

“Often places are named after people only after they are dead, but I feel it is more of an accolade and better for everyone involved if the person is still living and can play a part in the proceedings.

“I have to stress that nothing has been confirmed yet, but I’d certainly be in favour of the centre bearing Ally’s name.”

An SLC spokesman said: “This is a suggestion that has been put to us and will be given due consideration before any decision is made.

“The new leisure facility at the former St Andrew’s High School site should be completed by early summer.”

The sports and leisure facility will feature an eight-court indoor sports hall, an outdoor synthetic five-a-side pitch and a community meeting room. Ally McCoist is Rangers’ all-time top goal-scorer with 251 league goals in a glittering 15-year career with the Ibrox club.

He is also a member of the Scottish Football Hall of Fame, having made 61 appearances for his country, scoring 19 times.

http://www.eastkilbridenews.co.uk/lanarksh...68653-23167311/

http://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/portal/...McCoist_Complex - Centre info

A great honour for Ally I'm sure!

Was on the (Scottish Evening)News today, but I know quite a lot of folk don't watch it though or indeed can't (tu)

This was also where he was quoted talking about Pedro and Boyd (tu)

Well deserved respect to a legend from the town of EK.

He deserves it. Great to see such recognition within a town for someone still working away like a trojan, at the sport they love.

lts normally a deceased legend who gets such accolade, therefore it is wonderful to see Ally get recognised at this stage, especially linked to something really close to his heart.

As much as EK is not a pape-infested hole (quite the opposite) there will still be some wee rodents out there who will regularly deface and vandalise the facility, (which is there for their community by the way!!) but i sincerely hope this is kept to a minimum.

Good on ye Ally......

Altogether now:

SUPER ALLY.....SUPER ALLY.............(join in!!!!)