Ally: But if I were Kyle Lafferty I’d be thinking that this was a very...

Boab

Graeme Macpherson

Published on 7 Jan 2010

The Northern Irishman’s 18 months at Ibrox have been blighted by injuries, indifferent form, and a number of “daft moments”, the latest of which was a wild lunge on Celtic’s Andreas Hinkel in Sunday’s Old Firm game.

Rangers are still waiting for a return on the £3.5m they paid to Burnley in the summer of 2008 but McCoist feels there is still a lot more to come from the 22 year-old.

“He’s still young and it’s all a learning experience for him,” the Rangers assistant manager said. “He has a lot to prove to himself. His biggest challenge is to make himself a regular in our team and scoring goals but I wouldn’t bet against him doing it.

“2010 is a big year for him. He’s unlucky that Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd have been firing on all cylinders and scoring goals. But if I were Kyle Lafferty I’d be thinking that this was a very important year on my calendar.”

McCoist conceded that not giving Lafferty a regular run in his favoured position has not helped the player achieve a level of consistency. “We must shoulder a lot of the responsibility for Kyle’s form. We played him in three positions on Sunday and that’s not fair on him. It was taken out of our hands by Nacho Novo’s injury. I think he’s a centre-forward and we haven’t given him the chance to play through the middle. That’s not 100% fair on him.”

McCoist did, though, admit that the Northern Irishman was fortunate not to be sent off for his challenge of Hinkel. “He was lucky to stay on the park. I was 15 yards or so behind Tony Mowbray, but I saw his reaction to the tackle on Hinkel and I knew it was bad.

“I didn’t know how bad it was until later when I saw a rerun and I thought he was extremely lucky to stay on the park. It was daft more than malicious. He has his dafter moments and that was one of them.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ra...-cause-1.996632

Decent interview there.

Graeme Macpherson

McCoist did, though, admit that the Northern Irishman was fortunate not to be sent off for his challenge of Hinkel. “He was lucky to stay on the park. I was 15 yards or so behind Tony Mowbray, but I saw his reaction to the tackle on Hinkel and I knew it was bad.

“I didn’t know how bad it was until later when I saw a rerun and I thought he was extremely lucky to stay on the park. It was daft more than malicious. He has his dafter moments and that was one of them.”

I cannae help but think this part of the interview was unnecessary.

Lafferty is gonnae get it tight for weeks as it is never mind McCoist adding to it.

Far too much has been made of the tackle. Should have been a red card, ref chose to give a yellow. Nobody injured... end of.

If kyle regains the form he enjoyed near the end of last season he will be invaluable to us. Walter and Ally will point him in the right direction. The rest is up to Lafferty.

I would agree far to much has been made of the tackle and the incident against The sheep last season, Lafferty is still only 21 and still finding his way in the game, I think us as fans should stop slating the lad and get behind him, Lafferty has shown us Glimpes of what he can do, ok he has not justified his transfer fee, but i feel we must get behind him, and help him get his confidence back and then maybe he will find some form.

The guy is utter shit. That being said I would love for him to make me eat my words and produce some blistering form. Will not be holding my breath waiting for it though.

Sadly, Id need to agree.

Chokin to see him do the business for us but at times he doesnt actually seem interested.

I don't see how he's going to get a run in his 'preferred' position with Boyd and Miller leading the line so we should sell him now and buy a better squad player, preferably a defender, a winger or even another striker. We do need someone we would be happy with coming into the line-up if Boyd or Miller is unavailable but we have Fleck, Loy and Little to do that just now anyway, and I'd rather see any of them coming in than Lafferty.

The guy is utter shit. That being said I would love for him to make me eat my words and produce some blistering form. Will not be holding my breath waiting for it though.

Sadly, Id need to agree.

Chokin to see him do the business for us but at times he doesnt actually seem interested.

Never mind interested. He mostly doesn't even look capable. I'll happily eat my words if he comes good though, but for £4m we should have got a really really good striker, not a player who'd like to be one.

Everyone hopes Kyle comes good, after all hes a big Rangers man and he costs us £4million :anguish:

David Edgar valued him at £1.5million in his interview :pierre:

A prime example of why David Edgar should never be allowed to open his mouth (tu)

Far too much has been made of the tackle. Should have been a red card, ref chose to give a yellow. Nobody injured... end of.

If it hadn't been for that dive against the sheep, there is no way so much would have been made of his tackle on Sunday. It was late and rash, but it wasn't aggressive. I honestly don't think he tried to hurt Hinkel. Shocking challenge, but not malicious imo.

Sadly, Id need to agree.

Never mind interested. He mostly doesn't even look capable. I'll happily eat my words if he comes good though, but for £4m we should have got a really really good striker, not a player who'd like to be one.

Good honest comments (tu)

Sadly,he has no gift,

McCoist dignified as always.

Can you imagine Mowbery or Grant admitting a mhank should have walked when he didn't?

They'd have blamed it on Lafferty's momentum taking him through the tackle...

So he'll continue to play on the left or right as there is no chance the Miller and Boyd partnership will be broken up.

In that case, he should left on the bench - Novo and Beasley should continue to play once fit, and Naismith, and Fleck are available.

He's not a wide player, never will be, so when we had all the strikers at the club, what was the point in spending all that money on him? Walter Smith and Ian Durrant watched him play, and they must have seen him play on the left, and thought that he can do a job out there, when really he can't.

He will not come good. Not as a striker or LW!

I never wanted him signed in the first place and especially for such a high amount of £4m. But after watching a few good performances when played up front for us as well as playing well for N.I I tried to give him the benfefit of the doubt to prove himself as a striker. When he was played out wide I again gave him the benefit of the doubt as it was not his position. But looking back he had played there reguarly for Burnley and I don't care what position you play you should still be able to control the ball, pass it, jump, show some fight and determination.

Combined with his shit performances, lack of goals, lack of effort, transfer value and injuries he has been a complete failure. Sadly he has 4 years left on his contract and no one will be stupid enough to buy him unless NFC Kesh come back in for him and offer us £10 for him.

To me he adds nothing to the team. At best we will maybe get 5 or 6 goals out of him before the end of the season but thats what I would expect of a midfielder not a forward. He creates vey little even when played as a target man up front. And to be honest Sundays tackle was stupidity of the highest order as the name of the game at that point was to get to half time at 0-0 with 11 men. Much as I hate to slag of our players in this case I dont see him as Rangers class (but would be pleased to be proved wrong). If hes off loaded at best £1mn to a lower end Championship team.