Golf

kplfishtank

For social golf. I get bored 3hrs into a 4hr round and start thinking theres better things I could be doing. I've also found, getting older, I start to fatigue carrying the bag around, my back starts tightening and... I start pulling shots (especially on colder days). This usually starts happening about 13-14-15 holes in.

I enjoy playing golf, but playing 18 holes.... by the time you get to course, get ready, play, finish, takes up a day off - especially on a busier course at weekend... that's one of your days off gone.

Plus if you're not playing well...... 18 holes is a long round.

22 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Anyone played any of the arran courses? Planning to play one this month.

About 15 or so years ago 15 or so of us went across to play the Lamlash Open. Great time had by all. The new 9 was a wee bit rough compared to old 9 but overall a great gig.

So my course only a couple years ago had money troubles and there was talk of it potentially shutting down not sure how close it was the pro decided to take it on himself basically and it got announced yesterday that we only had 1 space before it was a waiting list for new members what a job the pro has done to turn it round never thought we would be anywhere near a waiting list ever again. 

3 hours ago, RFC RYAN said:

So my course only a couple years ago had money troubles and there was talk of it potentially shutting down not sure how close it was the pro decided to take it on himself basically and it got announced yesterday that we only had 1 space before it was a waiting list for new members what a job the pro has done to turn it round never thought we would be anywhere near a waiting list ever again. 

Thats great, was hearing we are near joining fee time again not had that in a few years.

1 hour ago, MacBoyd said:

Anyone played any of the open courses? Think i might try play Turnberry this month.

Love watching the Open when its at Turnberry. It was great seeing the legend Tom Watson nearly win back in 2009. St Andrews hosting next year. I had a decent sized bet come up last time it was St Andrews after my tip Zach Johnson won it back in 2015. 

I'm hoping either Russell Knox or  Harry Higgs wins tonight as I backed them both before the off at big prices. Its a packed leaderboard though so its a bit of a lottery but you never know.

1 hour ago, MacBoyd said:

Anyone played any of the open courses? Think i might try play Turnberry this month.

Never but was at a wedding at Turnberry a couple of years back and walked through it the next day for a look, looked cracking they were doing up the other course at the time. 

8 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Playing erskine next weekend for the first time. Anyone played there?

Yup, regularly, front nine is where any score is usually made, especially first 6 holes. After that it generally gets longer and harder. I really like it as a track, you cannot just stand and skelp driver on many holes

On 13/09/2020 at 18:29, MacBoyd said:

I've played muirfield and the old course. The old course is obviously really nice but more the history you play it for. Some feeling walking down the 1st and up the last but I've played much better courses. 

2 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Wow that must have cost you a lot of money. Which was your favourite?

I’m lucky in the thst a friend is a member of both Royal St George’s and Cinque Ports. I played Princes for the first time last month, it’s under new ownership and they have spent a lot of money on it and out of the Kent based courses I was really impressed with it. Lytham was my favourite out of the others . Least favourite was St Andrews, where it’s probably deemed sacrilege  to say, but I’d have been happy playing the 1st, 17th and 18th   6 times.