Golf

kplfishtank

16 hours ago, ShanksRFC said:

Dechambeau is a fucking idiot, can't stand him.

He had the tour operations manager of Cobra on his bag last week. Then yesterday said the Cobra driver was useless. 

Then the Cobra guy retorted by stating that Debambo is "like an 8 year old" :lol:

He is all happy when he can grip it and rip it on target golf courses but soon as he faces a challenge that shows he is a one trick pony then he is found out. A bad tradesman balmes his tools comes to mind. 

Morikawa is tearing the course apart today. 

Reading this again made me laugh. 

Bryson DeChambeau was accused of "acting like an eight-year-old" by his equipment supplier after the American said his driver "sucks" following his opening round at The Open on Thursday.

The world number six shot a one-over-par 71 to end the day seven shots behind leader Louis Oosthuizen.

"I'm living on a razor's edge, I've told people for a long time," he said.

Cobra, who work with DeChambeau, told Golfweek: "It's really painful when he says something that stupid."

Live: Follow round two of The Open

The Sports Desk podcast: Does golf need to rein in big hitters?

Speaking after his opening round at Royal St George's, which was played in breezy conditions on the Kent coast, DeChambeau said: "If I can hit it down the middle of the fairway, that's great, but with the driver right now, the driver sucks.

"It's not a good face for me, and we're still trying to figure out how to make it good on the mis-hits."

The Open 2021: Rory McIlroy ends on level par after up-and-down first round

He said before the championship that he was considering hitting irons off the tee in an attempt to keep his ball out of the thickest rough - and 28% of his tee shots were wayward in his opening round.

In his quest to hit the ball further off the tee, DeChambeau has been tinkering with his clubs for many years and Ben Schomin, tour operations manager for Cobra, says the manufacturer "bends over backwards for him" trying to create the perfect driver.

"He's in a place where he's swinging a 5-degree driver with 200 mph of ball speed," added Schomin, who caddied for DeChambeau two weeks ago after he split with long-time caddie Tim Tucker.

"Everybody is looking for a magic bullet. Well, the magic bullet becomes harder and harder to find the faster you swing and the lower your loft gets."

"He has never really been happy, ever. Like, it's very rare where he's happy [with his driver].

"He didn't really mean to say it that harshly. It's like an eight-year-old that gets mad at you. They might fly off the handle and say, 'I hate you'. But then you go. 'Whoa, no you don't'.

"We know as adults that they really don't mean that."

I normally enjoy watching the Open but with so many big names disappointing, its a bit of a bore fest for me this year. Seeing so many of them missing from inside 6 feet yesterday was criminal. Its been a hard watch thus far. Poor stuff from most of the so called superstars of golf. 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I normally enjoy watching the Open but with so many big names disappointing, its a bit of a bore fest for me this year. Seeing so many of them missing from inside 6 feet yesterday was criminal. Its been a hard watch thus far. Poor stuff from most of the so called superstars of golf. 

Seeing players tested is a joy, birdie fest golf bores me to tears.

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

I agree with you. 

However, the leaderboard lacks the star quality for me. Most of the worlds top players were struggling to make easy three feet putts, that's not being tested, it looked as if they couldn't give a toss that it was the open they were playing in. Also, the ones who had done really well on the first day were from countries that don't have the same type courses as British links. Its been the worst Open for many a year so far in my opinion. They've struggled hitting fairways and their short game has looked decidedly amateur in the main. I want to see the top players like McIlroy, Rahm, Thomas, Dechambeau, DJ, Fleetwood, Scauffele, etc all in contention going into the weekend. Lacks star quality this year.