Boyd "In the past I thought goals were just enough.''

Boab

And Boyd feels he's better equipped than ever for the pressures of the international arena.

The 26-year-old, who's desperate to shoot down St Johnstone today, said: "In the past I thought goals were just enough.

"Now I look at it and I know why I wasn't playing in the bigger games and I knew what I needed to do.

Advertisement

"I feel I have done that. It took a long time to sink in that goals alone aren't enough. But it has now and I am a better player for it.

"Hopefully I can mature the way I have over the last 18 months and take it into international level.

"I realised something wasn't working or I wasn't doing something right.

"I feel I have sorted that out and there are big games that will come in the future where I hope I can contribute and influence the result."

After sorting his international future, Boyd knows he must soon resolve what lies ahead in his club career. Gers have placed an £18,000-a-week contract offer on the table for their 22-goal top scorer.

He won't be short of offers from England and abroad once his present deal expires in the summer.

But Boyd yesterday delivered the strongest hint so far he may stay at Ibrox.

He said: "I think everyone knows my feelings towards Rangers.

"I enjoy myself here and I enjoy my football.

"I'm sure something will be sorted out soon.

"What happens with Walter Smith in the summer will have a big influence on my decision.

"I said he was a manager I wanted to play for and he has shown faith in me. I would like to keep paying him back for showing that faith in me by scoring goals every week.

"I just want to play, score goals, win games and pick up trophies.

"That's a realistic ambition over the next couple of months, and hopefully we can do that with me playing my part."

Gers' quest for back to back SPL titles takes them to McDiarmid Park at lunchtime today.

Smith's men could be 13 points clear of toiling Celtic before they kick-off later in the day against Dundee United. And Boyd says he's not fazed by Hoops' claims the champions will crack in the heat of the closing weeks of the season.

He said: "I don't think it bothers us what they say. We know the scenario and the challenge that faces us.

"We know how Celtic are feeling because it has happened to us in the past.

"We've been disappointed to be behind them, but we have kept going.

"Last season we overturned the points deficit and we won the championship.

"Their players will say things but even with that I find it very strange for Marco-Antoine Fortune to come out and say what he did about us last weekend.

"He hasn't ever been in a position to know what it takes to overturn a lead or to lose a title."

Boyd is chasing his 100th SPL goal for Gers at Perth today. But he's not ready to train his sights on a dream Treble just yet.

He said: "I know the 100-goal target is there but it goes in one ear and out the other - I just want to keep scoring.

"I'm greedy and I want more. When I get 100 I will want 101, then 102 and 103.

"The Treble hasn't even crossed my mind. We know the chance is there, but it is not close yet."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2861390/Youre-this-close-to-playing-for-Scotland-again-Boydy.html

It is night and day of his improvement.

It takes alot for Boyd to come out and say that WS is a big influence on whether he signs a new deal here considering WS would routinely drop Boyd for "big" matches. But credit Boydy for working hard and improving his game over the past several months.

I personally don't have a problem with Boyd tying WS's Rangers future with his own. People are motivated by different factors, if he ends up signing on the dotted line, then that's all that matters to me.

His improvement is dramatic to say the least. Have to hand it to him. Worked extremely hard, obviously took criticism on board. I don't want to open a can of worms, but Barry's departure could have helped Boyd? No idea...

No matter though.. one of the first names on the team sheet -- even for celtc matches.

Good to see the penny has dropped. More important that he proves it on the pitch which in fairness he has being doing.

Hopefully his fitness improves in the couple of weeks and he stays fit for the rest of the season. We know Miller is struggling with his hamstring so it is vital Boyd stays fit.

Better late than never and its good to see him finally maturing on and off the pitch, He comes across very well in that interview for me but i dont agree with him when he says 'i feel i have sorted it out and big games will come in the future where i can contrbute and influence the result' as despite his improvements, he still badly needs to sort out his fitness and athleticism(which is nowhere near as good as it could or should be) if he wants to be our number 1 forward, contribute to the team and be effective against the Mhanks and in Europe.

"Now I look at it and I know why I wasn't playing in the bigger games and I knew what I needed to do.

If only you had done it years ago, like a good few of us had said on RM, and at games... although, better late than never!

Is Boyd a future captain? With the change in attitude he has had and his desire to win, he's certainly a candidate IMO.

Not IMO, he's not even committed himself yet, and even if he did in the morning, would still be a good way away from being captain material.

Is Boyd a future captain? With the change in attitude he has had and his desire to win, he's certainly a candidate IMO.

Not IMO, he's not even committed himself yet, and even if he did in the morning, would still be a good way away from being captain material.

True, signing that new contract would be the best way for him to commit to the club. Not sure if the whole "Walter signs, I sign" is a good thing though. It's great he likes playing for the current manager, but you want you're best goalscorer willing to be here under ANY manager.

Who would you have as your captain in the current squad if Weir was to hang up his boots?

True, signing that new contract would be the best way for him to commit to the club. Not sure if the whole "Walter signs, I sign" is a good thing though. It's great he likes playing for the current manager, but you want you're best goalscorer willing to be here under ANY manager.

Who would you have as your captain in the current squad if Weir was to hang up his boots?

Tough question!

In the current squad, Steven Davis.

Should he get back to his best, Kevin Thomson should be captain.

I always seen him as a future captain once Barry left, but with his injuries that wasn't possible.

Like you said, if he gets back to his best, he would certainly be in contention.

It takes alot for Boyd to come out and say that WS is a big influence on whether he signs a new deal here considering WS would routinely drop Boyd for "big" matches. But credit Boydy for working hard and improving his game over the past several months.

I personally don't have a problem with Boyd tying WS's Rangers future with his own. People are motivated by different factors, if he ends up signing on the dotted line, then that's all that matters to me.

Everything I was going to say you said it for me (tu) wise man :21:

Big Lee or shagger IMHO

Tough question!

Can't agree. Our best player doesn't automatically make a Captain. Davis has been missing sometimes -- and -- I have never, ever seen him taking a leadership role -- yes -- a la Barry.

Sure, he can lead by example.. but Big Lee is more a Captain than Steve. Just a personality thing imho.

I'd have Lee as a Rangers Captain anyday.

Tough question!

Can't agree. Our best player doesn't automatically make a Captain. Davis has been missing sometimes -- and -- I have never, ever seen him taking a leadership role -- yes -- a la Barry.

Sure, he can lead by example.. but Big Lee is more a Captain than Steve. Just a personality thing imho.

I'd have Lee as a Rangers Captain anyday.

Can't see why Mcculloch is all of a sudden such a big hero. He is an awful cm player, swaggers around in games we are winning and talks in the press alot but other than that does nothing. Doesn't matter how tough you think you are if you can't get near enough opposing midfielders to make tackles. In the European games and the two Celtic games he was chasing shadows and gave the centre backs no protection at all. Too slow and imobile to be an effective sitting midfielder. A big fraud with a big mouth imo.

It will be shocking if he is still in the team next year never mind club captain.