• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No nuns, priests or Holy Water,

No Home Rule for Ireland,

And if I had a tommy gun,

I'd shoot every F*nian one,

Just for walking on our Queen's highway. :uk:

It used to be 'And if I had a tommy gun, I'd shoot every F*nian H u n'.

It still is when I sing it.

Only one Glasgow club had pro-German chants

in wartime Britain. Don't let them forget it.

Couldn't really care less about the clubs Protestant traditions/origins myself but have no problems with those who celebrate it and I love songs like Derrys Walls, The Sash and Build My Gallows so belt them out.

well said.

although i recently received an email from a member called "bel" who has 6 posts and joined 17th Feb...telling em he was a catholic rangers supporter and my joke about ask wed offended him and to stop all the sectarian stuff.

i told him its part of the tradition of being raised a rangers fan etc etc, and he hit out with how im not a real supporter and all that shite.

:wanker:

isnt your fault hes a catholic :lol:

well said.

although i recently received an email from a member called "bel" who has 6 posts and joined 17th Feb...telling em he was a catholic rangers supporter and my joke about ask wed offended him and to stop all the sectarian stuff.

i told him its part of the tradition of being raised a rangers fan etc etc, and he hit out with how im not a real supporter and all that shite.

:wanker:

What was the joke?

Couldn't really care less about the clubs Protestant traditions/origins myself but have no problems with those who celebrate it and I love songs like Derrys Walls, The Sash and Build My Gallows so belt them out.

If you get the chance buy The Gallant Pioneers it proves that Rangers were not founded as a protestant club, all it was founded for was so a bunch of lads could play games of football. However the Protestant traditions that came later helped Rangers develop their identity and its something to be proud of and celebrated so i am all for that, although the football means more to me than any other aspect be it religious, political or whatever.

Well I would argue that that book suggests or asserts that Rangers were not founded as a Protestant club rather than proves it. Not that I'm saying we were.

The interesting thing on that issue that I got from the book was that Rangers benefitted greatly from having played in the East End and the West End before settling in the South Side, and therefore drew support from throughout the City; placing them in the best position to respond to the challenge of the terrorists both on and off the park.

I still suspect that Queen's Park would have been the ones if they had abandoned amateurism.

That last sentence is one almighty 'what if' but yes I agree with your assertion about our various moves around the city. How much of an emphasis on the protestantism is due to a reaction against their catholicism is open to debate however there is nothing wrong with celebrating the heritage of the fans who helped make the club what it is.

First and foremost I follow Rangers as a football team but when you hear celtc fans singing songs about killing all prods etc you have no choice but to retaliate!

Let the flutes play the sash that ma dear father wore... :crabflute:

'....part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support.'

Rangers Vice Chairman Matt Taylor, 1967 ;)

except it was 1872 we were founded :P.

Indeed, and I'd like to ask him why he said we were founded as a 'Protestant boys club', I've never heard anyone else say that.

'....part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support.'

Rangers Vice Chairman Matt Taylor, 1967 ;)

except it was 1872 we were founded :P.

Indeed, and I'd like to ask him why he said we were founded as a 'Protestant boys club', I've never heard anyone else say that.

That is bizaare but it does highlight how much the story of how the club was founded has been neglected for so long. Its high time the club did more to emphasise the clubs origins and educate some of our fans as well as others about the manner in which we were founded.